Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
How did it hold up in the freezing cold, and what temperature ranges were you in (Specify degrees F or C)?

Last edited by philthygeezer; 01/31/23.
HR IC

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven´t myself but one in 270 is all my hunting partner uses.

We hunted together in Pakistam, Nepal, Tajikistan and Kirguizstan down to -20C with no issues, never.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
How did it hold up in the freezing cold, and what temperature ranges were you in (Specify degrees F or C)?
Do you have a specific concern about the R8?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
Do you have a specific concern about the R8?

Apparently he has cold weather concerns,

I have hunted with R93/R8/K95 a good bit. Cold weather in Northern USA to warm weather in southern most USA. No issues w/function

Nothing extremely cold, single digits(F) first thing in AM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an r8. Might be the most accurate rifle I have owned. If only the barrels weren’t so insanely priced.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I can’t afford to pay attention, much less own Blaser.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Justa TAC-2 works fine.

264 and 300 WM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by hanco

Thats BS

You bought a Sako awhile back, you could have pieced a Blaser together for that kina money

Although for the money im not to sure youd have bout any better of a rifle

Last edited by hitman; 02/01/23.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by hitman
Originally Posted by hanco

Thats BS

You bought a Sako awhile back, you could have pieced a Blaser together for that kina money

Although for the money im not to sure youd have bout any better of a rifle

I really never had a desire for one. I have enough rifle vices as it is.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I heard dat, same-same on my end.

Just be aware it can be done if you desire

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
TAC-2s are cheap as Blasers go. The Swaro ds not so.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Performance in icy /or freezing /or arctic conditions, and temperature range used?

Thanks to all who answered my question.

With respect, affordability is a topic for another thread.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A Blaser is kinda like a 911, you wonder why --- until you own one.

M
M
I bought into the R8 system a couple years ago, after being urged by a friend. Extremely consistent accuracy...I have other rifles that are accurate, but my R8 is consistently accurate and easy to shoot.

The one challenge I have had is when traveling in snowy/blizzard/blowing snow conditions by snowmachine with the rifle slung on my back. On a couple occasions, I've had ice/snow melt, run into the rails of the bolt assembly, freeze, and lock up the system. I've also had the same snow/ice melt get into the cocking/safety mechanism, making the rifle inoperable. With that said, I've also had the same happen with AR style rifles we use when hunting fur, and traditional bolt rifles where the trigger mechanism freezes up. IN ALL CASES, I feel it is a matter maintaining your firearm, and place the blame on myself. Now, when in these conditions, unless directly on fur/game, I carry my rifle in a scabbard case.

R8s are addicting! I just picked up another two barrels....a short 9.3X62 for packing in the summer as bear protection, and a 308 win that I am going to thread and shoot suppressed. I have buddies who spend 6-8K on custom rifles; for that cost, you can have a Blaser with multiple barrels, that will shoot just as well as any custom.

I held off a long time before giving into peer pressure, as I have a couple friends in AK that swear by them. With use, the genius in the system becomes more apparent. I still keep a couple Kimber Montanas around, as R8s are no lightweight, but otherwise use the R8.

M
M
I apologize for not indicating temperature use...I've used mine down to about -20 degrees F. Colder than that, and I stay patient for better weather.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Don't own a snowmachine but, always in scabbard when on horse.

Remember my Dad's stories of pissing on the Browning Machine guns to get them to work in the Hürtgen Forest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had an R93 with 4 barrels for a long time. Rifle functioned fine and shot well (loud to load though because you have to slam it closed). Honestly, I got tired of all the loose pieces, and lots of plastic parts. I hated the magazines, especially with low mounted scopes, The scope mounts are horrible and the LOP of the stock is ridiculous LONG. I'm glad it's gone. Resale value was excellent, I made money on all of it by parting it out.

The one I really regret is selling my 308 k95 to a member here. Could have hunted the rest of my days with that rifle and should have kept it and cut the LOP down to 13.5". Now the prices are on all Blaser's are crazy, stupid high. I will never get another one.

Ended up buying (2) Mauser M12's Extreme's and am happier with them than the R93, but I just prefer single shots and they may go down the road to fund a nice one.

Last edited by cooperfan; 02/04/23.
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for replies. I think I will try and see how it goes. There's some magic in just buying another barrel, and the .375H&H is compact and portable for the cartridge, given the receiver length. Also really like the de-cocking safety.

I too am concerned about the plastic over the long term. But a world full of long-lived polymer pistols and polycarbonate camera bodies probably indicates that these concerns are overblown. Still, -30C tests the limits of all gear.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 06/07/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.