Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Darwin Award winner! 18 year old fell off a pickup and died. He was riding standing up on the top of the cab. The 16 year old driving was issued a DUI - other charges may follow.

You can't make this up!

I was stupid at that age, but not that stupid.

On the other hand, I'm old now and my memory may be faulty. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you've never car surfed, you've never lived...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh the irony of your satement.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Darwin Award winner! 18 year old fell off a pickup and died. He was riding standing up on the top of the cab. The 16 year old driving was issued a DUI - other charges may follow.

You can't make this up!

I was stupid at that age, but not that stupid.

On the other hand, I'm old now and my memory may be faulty. smile
North roaders!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
High school friend of mine died sliding off the hood of a car. Hit his head and that was it. He was a good kid that was going into the police academy after graduating.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I went out over the tailgate of a pickup while shooting jackrabbits on the Snake river plain near American Falls Idaho about 43 years ago.
Was taking a bead on one running up the road when my buddy driving decided to chase it.
Separated shoulder.

Beer and weed may have been in play. It usually was back then.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I went out over the tailgate of a pickup while shooting jackrabbits on the Snake river plain near American Falls Idaho about 43 years ago.
Was taking a bead on one running up the road when my buddy driving decided to chase it.
Separated shoulder.

Ah, yes ............. spot lighting rabbits in Australia, as a young adult.

Back of Taco box, shooting off back rack.

I was running the light, buddy shooting from beside me, other buddy driving.

Shot a rabbit 30-40 metres away, running light back, I spot a really close rabbit.

He asks me to hold on it.

POA vs POI intersection, meant a .22mag crease in off side hood / fender !

blush

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
One of my students at a high school in Nashville died that way. He was riding the roof of a rice rocket when the driver took a turn too fast and launched him off the vehicle. Headfirst into a curb at 30 MPH is not a good way to go, but at least it was quick. Over 30-something years of teaching at high schools and a state trade school, I lost 6 students- - - - -one to leukemia, three in high speed chases in stolen cars, the car surfer, plus one guy who was beaten to death with a concrete block by a "friend" while they were huffing paint.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just God sprinkling a little chlorine in the shallow end of the gene pool.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Apparently, I've never lived.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a (still living) friend.

He would do all that crazy, stupid stuff.

He spent 30 years fighting fires/paramedic/fire captain, etc.

Everyone else ran out of burning buildings He thought it was fun to run into burning buildings.

He would volunteer to fight wildfires and defend houses. It bothered him not that the fire would burn around him after he made a defensive position.

Usually adobe/spanish style home in desert--he and a team would hole up in the courtyard, the fire would burn through, then he would continue extinguishing whatever was left.

If you can harness the stupid, you can get some good outta those folks.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hotrod I was curious about what tech school you were an instructor. I lived in Nashville for awhile and can only think of the Nashville auto -diesel college which was awesome. If you'd rather not say I understand.
Thanks -tnscouter

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As a teenager, a couple of buddies and I were shooting blackbirds out of rice fields while driving along gravel field roads. It was my turn to shoot so while I was standing in the pickup bed, the driver decided it was time to shift gears and pop the clutch while doing it. I fell out at about 30 mph and landed flat on my back. I was carrying a brand new 870 Wingmaster and I made sure I held it high. It survived unscathed however my back wasn’t so fortunate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by skinner
As a teenager, a couple of buddies and I were shooting blackbirds out of rice fields while driving along gravel field roads. It was my turn to shoot so while I was standing in the pickup bed, the driver decided it was time to shift gears and pop the clutch while doing it. I fell out at about 30 mph and landed flat on my back. I was carrying a brand new 870 Wingmaster and I made sure I held it high. It survived unscathed however my back wasn’t so fortunate.

Oh crap! that hurts me just thinking about it. Now I know why you're Skinner.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Separated shoulder.

Talk about going over the tailgate....
My buddy had a 1934 Ford pickup with a '54 Ford V8. At 18 years old, I was maybe looking for a Darwin award. I told him I could stand in the back when he took off. Of course he said,
"Get in!"
He started with less than full throttle until about 10 mph. I was feeling pretty good. Then he punched it. I can vaguely remember trying to keep my glass bottle beverage up right as I tumble head over tea kettle.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
At 18 years old, I was maybe looking for a Darwin award.

Darwin was a mentally-ill evolutionist, I'm surprised that you would acknowledge him.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson

Or in this case, died.

Black Cows Matter!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tnscouter
Hotrod I was curious about what tech school you were an instructor. I lived in Nashville for awhile and can only think of the Nashville auto -diesel college which was awesome. If you'd rather not say I understand.
Thanks -tnscouter

I ran the auto shop at Pulaski Vo-Tech from 1985-90. My father was an instructor at Nashville Auto-Diesel from the late 1960's to 1975, eventually becoming chief instructor of the automotive department. He opened the auto shop at McGavock High School in 1976, and retired in 87 or so. I took over the same shop a few years later, and ran it until 2010 when the school board closed down almost all the vocational programs city-wide. I also taught collision repair, engine machining, and welding, at times. I retired in 2011 from Overton High School. My advanced level students built and dyno tuned round track engines for several car owners at the Nashville Fairgrounds circle track. Some of those kids now have their own shops, and two of them went on to run their own racing team.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an old Jeep CJ3A. 3 of us were sailing across the desert and came to a short but steep hill with a dry creek at the bottom. I pushed the brake and SQUISH, it went to the floor. I hit the bottom doing about 25 or 30. The guy in back came over the roll bar, hitting his head on the way, and ended up with his head between the front seats. He just had a cut on his head, luckily. That could have been nasty.
A brake line had split. That was before dual master cylinders were invented.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn! No wonder there’s some stupid [bleep] on here!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,828
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.