Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This little dark spot is a tick that I just pulled off of my right hip. Here in he NC mountains I have never seen a tick anywhere near this small. He must have been on me for a day or so, I have a red welt the size of a nickle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My brother lives on this same mountain. Last summer he got a tick bite. He had a red circle 2 1/2 inches in diameter. He went to the ER, doc told him he had Lyme disease. She loaded him up with antibiotics. She said, if he had showed up two days later, he would have been up the creek. Time is of the essence.

Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks, and it says that deer ticks are "the size of a pinhead, or a poppy seed." Yikes!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm crawling with them all the time.

Seems like 6 is my magic number.

Had one imbedded in me last night.

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am at about 15 this year... Laura at a dozen.

Standard drill is remove and Band-Aid with Neosporin every 6-12 hours for 3 days depending.

I have had Lyme for 20+ years... it sucks.

Buddy just tested off the charts for Alpha-gal... his life really sucks.

Yes... we treat our clothes with Permethrin and the dogs take tick killing meds.

I blame O'Biden 100%

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Standard drill is remove and Band-Aid with Neosporin every 6-12 hours for 3 days depending.

Yes... we treat our clothes with Permethrin and the dogs take tick killing meds.

I blame O'Biden 100%
The alpha gal deal sucks ass from what I hear can’t eat red meat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took a young employee outside the fence to pick up trash the wind took over, he walks back with10 ticks on him. Forgot to tell him to tape his pant legs. Told him go disrobe, get ticks off, come see me when hes done. Comes back and says he found 7 more. I look down and hes got 2 more on his pants. He didnt walk more than 300yrds. Super bad round here.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by earlybrd

I blame O'Biden 100%

Ugh. I had a scare with Alpha-gal last summer. Pulled a Lone Star tick off of me... but thankfully it hadn't really burrowed and probably caught it within a couple hours. The doctor said they really need to be on you for 24 to 48 hours to transmit. We've been seeing Deer Ticks and Lone Stars all over the place... much worse than last year.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by earlybrd

I blame O'Biden 100%

No red meat... AND even chicken/eggs in his case (mammal byproduct in store bought chicken/eggs). Gave him a dozen farm raised... he tried two and gave the rest back as a no-go.

Fish is where he is at now... weird stuff for sure.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ughh. I hate ticks.

One of the few positives in W WA was the dearth of ticks. Plenty of parasites, mostly the two legged variety.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We are having a bumper crop this year also. We had to spray our gun range because everyone was getting them. We even burnt off the berms to kill them, but it did not make any difference. We contrated to spray 3 times for them. Spraying last year made a world of difference. We was getting ticks even on the concrete.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had an old clock that was infested with those things.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Past few years have been terrible. We keep Doxycycline on hand. Apparently if you take 2 right away you are protected. I've had Lyme's 3 time in the past 2 years.

I pulled one out from between my toes last week smaller than the one posted by the OP. I don't think I got to sleep for 72 hours. No way to keep from aggravating the spot. I really don't like itching but dislike not sleeping for 3 days even more.

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get some of this and some spandex put 2 ounces in a gallon of water and soak the spandex or whatever in it let air dry out of the sun. Wear to the woods and you wont have to think about tics or chiggers any where near as much.

Martin's Permethrin 36.8% SFR Concentrate Termiticide

I thought I would get rashes everything and used get out of the woods during spring gobbler and early archery with 30 tics at times. Trolling them to the house my family getting them and asking me how.

Now no rashes and no tics or chiggers. Stuff is awesome.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've heard it's a bad year for ticks my entire life. As long as they exist, it will be a bad year for ticks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, had one on me last week. Permethrin on my "farm" pants first thing in the Spring will keep 'em at bay. It's supposed to last thought several wash cycles. I think it does based on no ticks on me last year when I used it.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If it takes 24 hours, would ivermectin - used for its original purpose as an anti-parasitic - be effective in getting rid of the tick before then? Or are ticks not effected? Seems like the people in areas with parasites it treats only take a dose periodically.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by AUGrad
If it takes 24 hours, would ivermectin - used for its original purpose as an anti-parasitic - be effective in getting rid of the tick before then? Or are ticks not effected? Seems like the people in areas with parasites it treats only take a dose periodically.
My understanding is that the red meat allergy has to do with how the Lone Star triggers your immune system. If you took something that killed it quick enough, seems like a good thing?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I pulled a Lone Star off of my ballz sack just yesterday...

Anyone (other than Tonto) want pics?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOING THIS!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.