Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Ask this guy.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
WTH HIT HIM?

That was by a 9mm. Blew the lung right out of him. 😳😁
Hmm…

Sounds like “wisdom” straight from Brandon himself.

Didn’t realize the 9mm was such a hoss.

But it must be so if the President says. He wouldn’t lie.

What?

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WAM
Ask this guy.
WTH HIT HIM?

Hmm…

What?

DF
That's what old Brandon did to Cornpop.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by WAM
Ask this guy.
WTH HIT HIM?

Hmm…

What?

DF
That's what old Brandon did to Cornpop.
That Cornpop a bad dude.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WAM
Well, that video proved nothing as did the accompanying gibberish.
Yeah, the cited website should also be taken with a huge grain of salt.

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
wild video damn I want one...

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I once read John Taylor's book.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whatever you do, don’t wake up the fast twist 223 shooters, they know nothing kills like a fast twist 223…

Pure unadulterated TRUTH! laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by WAM
Which website, who-tee-who or Nathan Fosters ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beard
I once read John Taylor's book.
I have it. I reread it about once a year. I also have several Wally Taber books. He promotes the 300 Weatherby mag as the perfect all around for all African hunting. They're worlds apart on philosophy

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bore diameter doesn't matter as much as the EXPANDED diameter of the particular bullet--which is often not closely related to bore diameter.

This can also apply to so-called "solid" bullets, depending on the nose-shape of the bullet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bore diameter doesn't matter as much as the EXPANDED diameter of the particular bullet--which is often not closely related to bore diameter.

This can also apply to so-called "solid" bullets, depending on the nose-shape of the bullet.

John,

Depending on the thicknness of the critter and where you hit it first, is most of the damage kind of done before the the expanded diameter of the bullet really means anything? Inasmuch as lets say you hit a deer/moose broadside with a 308 win and the bullet expands to .6", the lungs and heart certainly have a lot more cavitation than a .6" hole going through them.

Or....is the expansion part of that equation and more is more, period?

I know what you mean about the solids....wide meplat definitely works better than pointy. But I just kinda figure unless you, lets say, hit a bigass shoulder first and it soaks up all the drama, the final diameter of the bullet aint the primary wounding mechanism unless you're shooting a sloooowww bullet like a pistola?

Or I could be way off here. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by Igloo; 07/30/23.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ask this guy.

143ELDX?

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ingwe
Whatever you do, don’t wake up the fast twist 223 shooters, they know nothing kills like a fast twist 223…

Absolutely!! A fast twist 223 renders every other cartridge obsolete.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by WAM
The latter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by WAM
The latter.
Neither is worth a hell of a lot beyond entertainment. Who tee doesn't know enough to arrange meaningful tests and Foster is FOS.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Igloo

John,

Depending on the thicknness of the critter and where you hit it first, is most of the damage kind of done before the the expanded diameter of the bullet really means anything? Inasmuch as lets say you hit a deer/moose broadside with a 308 win and the bullet expands to .6", the lungs and heart certainly have a lot more cavitation than a .6" hole going through them.

I know what you mean about the solids....wide meplat definitely works better than pointy. But I just kinda figure unless you, lets say, hit a bigass shoulder first and it soaks up all the drama, the final diameter of the bullet aint the primary wounding mechanism unless you're shooting a sloooowww bullet like a pistola?

The final diameter of the bullet also has a large affect on the amount of cavitation--which is also affected by velocity. Also, a bullet that expands to a flat-faced or even cupped front results in more cavitation than a rounded "mushroom." Which is also why "cupped" solids do more damage than flat-nosed solids.

One common misconception is that different bullets expand slower or faster. But considerable testing shows most start expanding when they hit skin, and normally expand completely by the time they penetrate their own length--and very few big game bullets are even two inches long. This is also why the area around the entrance hole usually has the most bloodshot and shredded meat.

The exception to this is some high-BC, hollow-point bullets where the hollow-point is actually closed, or nearly so. Instead of the hollow-point initiating expansion, as it does in hunting bullets with a larger opening, it collapses inward, so expansion's delayed somewhat. This is why Berger Hunting VLDs normally don't expand until penetrating 2-3 inches.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by ingwe

Absolutely!! A fast twist 223 renders every other cartridge obsolete.

Every other one EXCEPT the .223AI laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Igloo

John,

The final diameter of the bullet also has a large affect on the amount of cavitation--which is also affected by velocity. Also, a bullet that expands to a flat-faced or even cupped front results in more cavitation than a rounded "mushroom." Which is also why "cupped" solids do more damage than flat-nosed solids.

One common misconception is that different bullets expand slower or faster. But considerable testing shows most start expanding when they hit skin, and normally expand completely by the time they penetrate their own length--and very few big game bullets are even two inches long. This is also why the area around the entrance hole usually has the most bloodshot and shredded meat.

The exception to this is some high-BC, hollow-point bullets where the hollow-point is actually closed, or nearly so. Instead of the hollow-point initiating expansion, as it does in hunting bullets with a larger opening, it collapses inward, so expansion's delayed somewhat. This is why Berger Hunting VLDs normally don't expand until penetrating 2-3 inches.

Thank you. Understood.

My theory was always that even if they started and finished expansion at the same rate, one might do so more violently, causing more tissue damage/destruction through tissue simply not being elastic enough to survive the temporary cavitation than the other.

Say, a 30 cal 180 grain ballistic tip vs a 180 grain A-Frame. The innards are quite a bit more pulped than shooting them with a .60" or so non expanding projectile would make them.

But, we all learn as we go! Or, ideally, we're supposed to haha. I had not considered mushroomed bullet shape either.

Again, thanks for the answer.

Last edited by Igloo; 07/31/23.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Great info, thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.