Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Parts arrived, not sure if good news. #1 - the barrel does not have the Lion Logo, like my 360 and 370, oh well. But at least its marked H&R 301 and 308.

The Trigger group has no labels on it, and looks a bit to rough to be Sako. Googling puts it as a Zastava trigger, and I'm pretty sure on that (but didnt all H&R 300 series bolt actions come with Sako triggers? But i have zero experience there. The bolt has only 4 numbers on it, nothing else. And no proof markings on the outside at least, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an FN (my 370 is an FN.)

https://imgur.com/a/aoFpzdm

Last edited by aether_tech; 04/27/23.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The bolt and bottom metal are definitely not FN.

On your point about lack of markings, that lack does not eliminate FN on that point alone. For example, in the early ‘50s, Husqvarna uses FN actions with no markings and the bolt knob was round with no flat checkered spot. The barrel has Swedish proof marks. Sako did that also.

Last edited by GF1; 04/28/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had multiple Zastava LR commercial Mausers that came with a variety of different trigger styles.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by GF1
The bolt and bottom metal are definitely not FN.

On your point about lack of markings, that lack does not eliminate FN on that point alone. For example, in the early ‘50s, Husqvarna uses FN actions with no markings and the bolt knob was round with no flat checkered spot. The barrel has Swedish proof marks. Sako did that also.

There's only one marking on the barrel besides the H&R stamping, and its a circled P near the threads (same as my model 360). Which I think is also a Douglas barrel, but I'm still unsure on that.... However, given some of the not-great finishing on the bolt, I dont think its a FN - since i have an FN of near the same area to compare it to, and they are noticeably different finish. And as far as I understand from the H&R info out there, all the FN actions came from the same batch, then a batch of Sako L461, and then the Zastava Mausers. FN actions should all have proof marking on the bolt handle, top side. This for sure isn't a L461.

my FN late 60s/early 70s off H&R 370 for comparison: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...y-this-proof-mark-fn-mauser#Post17744645

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've had multiple Zastava LR commercial Mausers that came with a variety of different trigger styles.

I'm just trying to confirm that this is , or isn't, a Sako trigger. and Im 99.9% sure its a Zastava at this point.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
There is a lot of misinformation about the H&R rifle series of the seventies & early eighties. Below is a place for you to acquire a basic understanding.

https://www.shootersforum.com/threads/h-r-300-301-ultra-rifles-from-the-70s.92873/#post-759411 The "Authority behind the associated blog was an 'on scene' H&R employee in that era. The aside that the late Bill Goforth was the grand expert of all things H&R though considerably less concerning these Mauser genre based H&R rifles.

My own observations of this entire series of H&R rifles in my singular example of the last iteration of the entire series ended in a Model 340 as moved from the "touch of Weatherby" styling to some nice Mannlicher Stocked iterations as yours appears, to mine in a really quality classic half stocked model, which 'made my day' as acquiring it. Pix if I have time to add later. I have much more owner/user experience with both original FN actioned rifles and mainstream Zavasta action rifles of Interarms branding "Mark X".

The FN series commercial rifles came to postwar American shores of the late forties. The "genre" of those days were priced exotically as about double the price of a decent Remington 721 or 722 - short acton bolt rifle. These FNs featured the solid left sidewall and low scope safety. Originally, untapped for scope as only for receiver sight tapping standard. More of the same genre to be found in yet bargain priced Husqvarna Models 640. Great rifles at 'stealth' value pricing! These rifles disappeared from the American market due to price point 'not reflecting value'. They were incorporated in a plethora of various branded rifles made or imported to the States. The original action type was fundamentally 'all mauser'. The variously termed "Deluxe Model eventually replacing the so-called "Supreme mauser action of your search radar pattern. With the Striker mechanism "shroud" safety removed and relocated to sliding lever right side trigger area adjacent. Effectively as transioning from striker impinging to trigger impinging. Less ultimately positive as more convenient! Rifles with this action appearing sporadically. The next development by FN was bottom metal of alloy. An entire industry trend as such in mauser casting context, alloy much less expensive! The FN eventually fully phased out in latter seventies.

The Zastava was an outgrowth of Yugoslavia State Arms Production facility in now Serbia. Zastava as the commercial action & rifle production unit. Some of the earliest - to my knowledge - US Imports was by Herter's and the action something akin to 'short action concept' embraced in Yugo State Arms producing the Model 48 Mauser. By the seventies, the Zastava had achieved credibility as a stable 'reasonable quality FN pattern standard length FN mauser pattern. The 'basic pattern Zastava on your Latter seventy series H&R - perhaps a Model 330, a quite decent quality action. Remington eventually used the Zastava for its Mauser Pattern rifle yet later. I have several Zastava Mauser rifle iterations and each is quite decent quality. To bring that action up to FN Standards nowadays would create the same dilemma as FN as "too expensive for market". I can't comment about the myriad action as first wether even to construe what you have there or the true "grab bag" someone put together. Hopefully not a "Humpty Dumpty syndrome of mix & match. A substantial hazard.
The good of the Zastava actions I have of your eighties era, the steel bottom metal. FN fall from some measure of Grace as going to the softer than steel, scratch prone aesthetics alloy function. My 340 in 7mm Mauser, one of the nicest aesthetic stocks featuring such as classic 'shadow' edged cheek piece and highlighted action touches.

I'd assess your chief hazard is the "parts is parts" collection of maybe fitting, maybe workable, maybe safe... result. Accidental discharge, a lingering concern!

So! my wordy contribution as "regurgitation"! smile
Unedited as going to bed!
Best!
John

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a beautiful Argentine Mauser with intact crest that might be just the ticket sitting here.

The way life should be.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Alright, won an auction on a Interarms Mark X, besides a bit more text on the receiver than I'd like, it should do the job I hope. But I won't know for a few weeks or more.

Notably, the listing says the bottom of the bolt is ground flat and checkered, which leads me more to think the original action off this 301 was a Zastava. Not sure I'll be able to use the trigger that came with the parts, but the Mark X comes with trigger, floor plate, etc... so oh well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by aether_tech
Alright, won an auction on a Interarms Mark X, besides a bit more text on the receiver than I'd like, it should do the job I hope. But I won't know for a few weeks or more.

Notably, the listing says the bottom of the bolt is ground flat and checkered, which leads me more to think the original action off this 301 was a Zastava. Not sure I'll be able to use the trigger that came with the parts, but the Mark X comes with trigger, floor plate, etc... so oh well.

A very good basis for a build!

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I do hope so... I just hope it all fits together. Will know in a few weeks I guess.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ok, I can 100% tell now that the original action from this gun was a Zastava, after inspecting the new old stock one I got.

https://imgur.com/8G24gA3

Bolt appears identically, down to the hatching on the underside of the knob and machining marks in various places. So, I've got at least a period correct part, aside from the markings on it.

The bolt I have fits the new action perfectly. But since they are the same, I'll just use the one that came with the action. I just need to get it over to a gunsmith to to a little bit of inletting - due to the varnish that someone applied to the stock (all over it,) the action and floorplate don't quite fit - though the floorplate it originally came with did. I'm still unsure as to WHO made the trigger that I got included with the action. ... but I'll be using the Zastava trigger included with the new action.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I saw a JC Higgins Model 50 today for $500 that I could probably get for $400 plus tax. I figure the action is worth that alone

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw a JC Higgins Model 50 today for $500 that I could probably get for $400 plus tax. I figure the action is worth that alone

I'd agree and if the bore and stock are in good shape, you would probably have yourself a great shooter as-is. I picked up a JC Higgins 51-L recently for $299. Beats the crap out of a Savage Axis and the like.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
JC Higgins model 50 is an FN Mauser, thats worth a bit more than that if its in good shape.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Jericho

I'd agree and if the bore and stock are in good shape, you would probably have yourself a great shooter as-is. I picked up a JC Higgins 51-L recently for $299. Beats the crap out of a Savage Axis and the like.
I take umbridge with this comment, my Axis II in 308 shoots sub-moa with half-decent ammo. As long as you replace the flimsy oem plastic stock. It's the same barrel as their higher end guns - just with less exterior shine. Put a decent stock on it, and it shoots like all the other sub-moa rifles everyone claims theirs to be.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by aether_tech
JC Higgins model 50 is an FN Mauser, thats worth a bit more than that if its in good shape.

Only the action itself is FN on the 50 and 51. The majority of which were made with oddball rear hole spacing for the scope bases.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a JC Higgins J9 in 6mm Remington that is one sweet rifle.

Whoops - I am getting old. It is a Herter's J9. But it is a sweet rifle.

Last edited by Retired_Spook; 06/09/23.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Well, the gunsmith now has the pile of parts, est 6-8 weeks because of the other people in front of me.

Needs to do a little bit of inletting on the stock, and some fitment with the barrel to the action (plus headspacing.) But, everything looks like it should go together.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would be interested in an extra Zastava bolt if you are needing it.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The H&R commercial Mauser "Supreme" model (as FN described them) were employed by H&R in building their mauser pattern rifles from 1965 to 1973 as FN phased out mauser production, 'generally' reflecting huge lucrative NATO military small arms contracts. From 1973 to 1978, Sako provided their actions filling in for FN's absence. From 1978, Zastava of Serbia rose to replace Sako as simply outpricing as simultaneously returning to the pure Mauser aura actions.

The FN was a superior finished rifle, but like most manufacturers, production costs took their toll as sales declined and even their own quality affected. The move from steel to alloy bottom metal a concession to fabrication costs as softer, more vulnerable metal employed. Cheaper labor market of Zastava in Serbia as the torch past! The bit lesser "fit & finish", reflective of many quality commercial gunmakers a fact of life! - Witness the "pre '64 Winchester genre "quality off the cliff debacle", arising as "quality of old" disaster. So too, numerous commercial gunmakers adopted Zastava mauser actions with positive results! From sixties era of Herter's (of Wisconsin?) import of Zastava/Serbian State Arms Factory, brand "X" actions to the American public. Such, to by the time of Interarms, H&R and other names adopting Zastava commercial mausers, Zastava "coming of age".

The history of H&R in their mauser pattern rifle offerings reflects a desire to be a player in such field. To what extent the H&R factory interplay in assembling actions with barrels and sources of those barrels, I'm unaware. My belief it would be logical for major components - actions, barrels & stocks to be assembled 'in house'. I don't know that or whom the supplier of barrels actually was. Over H&R years between the several action providers, it seems quite likely various contracts for barrels and work may well have differed. Stocks, I believe most likely suspect was [bleep] as they were the gorilla in their custom-contract market of quantity stocks to order. By my own last H&R Model 340 edition of 1980 build, it was purportedly [bleep].

Re bluing on bolts reflecting FN and Zastava proclivities. Above point right on. FN furnished actions, bolts assemblies most always in the white. Zastava actions, bolt handles and striker shrouds as almost always blued. Such of course as could be otherwise specified by rifle manufacturer customer. So too the observation concerning the FN sidewall proprietary FN factory markings with "Made in Belgium" nomenclature. Zastava as typically the "Mark X" nomenclature, although other custom nomenclature sometimes encountered. The H&R Zastava action left sidewall' of my rifle is without any marking whatsoever. Pix below, top two and last as: Zastava action as Model 340. Third & forth pix, as factually two same model rifles, picking the most illustrative of mediocre pix, reflecting the FN Commercial Genre of sixties era as discussed here. Both factually "Interarms Musketeer" but 'presuming' H&R as the same appearance & nomenclature.

The actual "net, net", in what does the photo factually reveal and what it doesn't. The very fact of receiver gone missing is itself significant in its absence. Your assumption taken that you can supply either a commercial, presumed era correct receiver of either FN or Zastava, may be a larger assumption. If the barrel pictured apparently fits the stock, that of itself something of a giant leap forward it seems to me. Whatever markings, perhaps of forensic help in putting the pieces together!
The joining of all components harmoniously yet another large assumption! I'm "assuming we're viewing a barrel which came with the lesser action parts with inference of "original component. From your words, I'm not sure of that! Whether/to what extent viewing components of a single rifle a first significant question. A factual puzzle exists even to chambering.

You are proposing more than a potential task; arising to "adventure". I can't answer the value question for reason that I don't keep up with values/prices on the one hand. But far more relevant, the "guestimate" involving many suppositions, creating speculation wide too with many unknowns.

Some pix referenced below as limited to a single sitting of posting.
Good Luck!
John

AADDENDUM: Started this Post this morning and only now about 9PM completing and posting as 'life intervening'. Noting a bunch of other Posts intervening. Just to leave mine "as is" for whatever value!

Attached Images
R79-6.jpg (24.46 KB, 45 downloads)
R79-20U.jpg (26.97 KB, 45 downloads)
R291-6U.jpg (24.72 KB, 45 downloads)
R351-15.jpg (20.18 KB, 45 downloads)
R79-3U.jpg (35.08 KB, 45 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 06/10/23. Reason: Bunch of Posts intervening my completion.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.