Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had an $80 Homelight for about 20 years until the little plastic bulb disintegrated. Good little machine. Then bought a 60 volt Dewalt trimmer and that thing is a beast. Never have to mix gas or worry if it will start. If anything it’s a little too big for my current yard.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Don't run it wide open all the time. When you do the string melts and won't feed. The string wears out prematurely and breaks off in the head. Run it fast enough to cut what you are cutting, grass doesn't require wide open to cut. I learned it years ago.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Don't run it wide open all the time. When you do the string melts and won't feed. The string wears out prematurely and breaks off in the head. Run it fast enough to cut what you are cutting, grass doesn't require wide open to cut. I learned it years ago.
That’s bull schit

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I do that.

Proud NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I had a stihl several years ago, I am pretty sure it was a lemon, could seldom get it to start, I gave it to the best small engine, 2 stroke ( boat mechanic) that I know, he couldn’t get it to start consistantly either. I bought an echo, it can sit a year, and always starts right up. The string/ feeder issue is another situation,it works ok, but can be frustrating. By the way, I have 2 Stihl chainsaws that have never failed to start right up, even after sitting for years. I burn the expensive ethanol free 2 stoke mix.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old Craftsman 4 stroke that has not given me any trouble at all. It's over 15yrs old maybe 17. It's have never failed to start, ever.

It doesn't have the bump feed for the trimmer line but you feed in a pc of precut line on the head. It's a bit more time to get going but it's a very dependable system.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Salmonella
JFC...what a joke.
I get about 5 minutes of whacking before I'm fixing the fugcker.
String breakage, string bound up, head parts broken.
This with mad a supposedly top of the line Stihl string trimmer.
Anyone else feel the pain?
Mine sucks, too. You know you have to occasionally sharpen the blade that cuts off the string, right?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Another gem.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I do that.

May I ask what model trimmer you’ve gotten by with all these years?

You’re old enough to die but seem to be struggling with a new-to-you endeavor.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roundup is my friend. One, maybe two applications per growing season.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/oregon-trimmer-head-replacement%2c-4-1-2-inch-speed-feed%2c-fits-most-straight-shaft-trimmers-%2855-265%29/p/55-265

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's expensive. Replacement trimmer head for my Echo was about $20. Of course, I had an Echo trimmer,, so I didn't need all the adapters.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Roundup is my friend. One, maybe two applications per growing season.

Winner

Glyphosphate with a side of 2-4-D

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JFC...what a joke.
I get about 5 minutes of whacking before I'm fixing the fugcker.
String breakage, string bound up, head parts broken.
This with mad a supposedly top of the line Stihl string trimmer.
Anyone else feel the pain?
Couple years ago SimonKenton got one of those Kobalt battery mowers.
He was happy, so in the spring, I followed suit. Most of my grass needs a gas tractor, but around the house...
I got a Kobalt 40v for around the house. I was really pleasantly surprised how well it did! With the bagger on, it did a really nice job. I bought an extra battery, and kept the thing clean and the blades sharp. Us Rednecks do stuff like that.
The next spring I got a Kobalt weed trimmer which used the same batteries. Sorta tricky to reload with string, but I figured it out.
Nice and light, and it does a helluva good job, especially around the vineyard my sister-in-law put in on the ground!
Both of them I’m well impressed with.
Depending on much you’re doing, you might wanna check this out at Lowe’s.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
That's expensive. Replacement trimmer head for my Echo was about $20. Of course, I had an Echo trimmer,, so I didn't need all the adapters.
Yep expensive but for guys that have issues w heads they are the cats meow.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/09/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Overall I’m partial to Echo and Husky products but my Sthil weed whip runs fine. If the string breaks that isn’t the weed whips fault. Chain link fencing eats string. Feather the the throttle around hard objects.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wide open is fine as long as you’re not running it into trees, or other hard objects. The string isn’t going to melt. It’ll break obviously if you strike hard objects.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Love my Stihl KM 111R. It's a beast of a machine and hasn't given any issues in 7 years.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
This.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/oregon-trimmer-head-replacement%2c-4-1-2-inch-speed-feed%2c-fits-most-straight-shaft-trimmers-%2855-265%29/p/55-265

Ordered it.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Wide open is fine as long as you’re not running it into trees, or other hard objects. The string isn’t going to melt. It’ll break obviously if you strike hard objects.
Talk to someone at a power center. Ask em what they recommend for weed eating along concrete and asphalt.

Some lines will do better in this type of environment.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.