Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18492460 06/10/23
Creeker Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Need light on my 1997 Ford F150. I looked through a year of posts concerning headlamps but read nothing on this. School me on driving lights & fog lights please. A bumper height light bar or brush guard mount would work. [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Creeker; 06/10/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For me it would be actual Ford factory headlight and fog light lenses. Most of these aftermarket lenses get moisture in them in no time.

If you put a bull bar on then figure out what width of LED bar will fit it and shop from there.

These get high marks.
https://www.blackoakled.com/collections/led-light-bars

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 06/10/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks 10 Ga. Many here run those light bars. I was hoping for something more old school like 6 or 8 inch round flamethrowers & maybe a couple off color fog lights on a bull bar as you say.

Last edited by Creeker; 06/10/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Creeker
Thanks 10 Ga. Many here run those light bars. I was hoping for something more old school like 6 or 8 inch round flamethrowers & maybe a couple off color fog lights on a bull bar as you say.
Old school won't get you near as bright crisp sharp light while drawing as little power as LEDs.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Not sure what is available for a 97, but I upgraded to LED bulbs in my 2014 and it made a big difference. Price wasn't too bad. Around $70 IIRC. To do it right you really need to replace the entire headlight assembly and you can spend near $1000 to do that. The bulbs I put in my truck aren't as good as the factory LEDs on our 2020 Explorer but were a significant upgrade. The factory lights on my 14 were terrible.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you're looking for old school appearance, and your budget allows, these are worth their weight in gold.

https://arbusa.com/driving-lights/arb-intensity-lights/intensity-solis-led-lights/

By far the best lights I've ever experienced, with 5 different brightness levels for different conditions. Self confessed light slut here, I've spent some serious coin on auxiliary lighting because I drive quiet country roads with a lot of deer and hogs in the areas on the way to the hunt camp, and these the the bomb.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger

If you're looking for old school appearance, and your budget allows, these are worth their weight in gold.

https://arbusa.com/driving-lights/arb-intensity-lights/intensity-solis-led-lights/

By far the best lights I've ever experienced, with 5 different brightness levels for different conditions. Self confessed light slut here, I've spent some serious coin on auxiliary lighting because I drive quiet country roads with a lot of deer and hogs in the areas on the way to the hunt camp, and these the the bomb.
👍🏻

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I installed Diode Dynamics yellow SAE/DOT fog lights on my wife's car a few years ago. At the time they seemed to be one of the better units, and I think they work great, but I don't know what the latest and greatest are.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Following your link, I see ARB has a five intensity digital switch pad. Do you see any utility in this? I think I'd either have them off or cranked all the way up, but maybe that feature might be useful in snow?

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KDK

Following your link, I see ARB has a five intensity digital switch pad. Do you see any utility in this? I think I'd either have them off or cranked all the way up, but maybe that feature might be useful in snow?

I used that function more than I thought I would. There were times that full brightness was just too much in areas with lots of reflective road signs. They would blind you. On very dark country roads with few road signs I would crank them up.

I have since sold my 2014, and now have a 2023. I chose to go the light bar route rather than the ARB's, because they look a lot cleaner, and because of the cost of the ARB's. If I had to do it again, I would probably go back to the ARB's. The light bars (Black Oak) are very good, but not as good as the ARB Solus for both spread and distance.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Current setup.............
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Black Oak Light Bars
Old ARB light output...........
2014 with ARB's

Excuse the picture quality, I must have had Wabi's camera................

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 30" bar and a Unity HID roofmount spotlight on Big Whitey. Spotlight is a handy sumbish. And BRIGHT....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you wanting to enhance your lighting only off-road or while on the road? All the light bars and other add on lights are generally illegal to use on the road. With good reason, as they are totally blinding to oncoming traffic. If you are off-road it doesn’t matter. On road you are pretty much limited to headlight replacement with better/brighter units. Look to something like a replacement headlight kit with led projectors. My understanding is a simple bulb swap is likely to make things worse. You really need the unit to be designed for an LED bulb.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Are you wanting to enhance your lighting only off-road or while on the road? All the light bars and other add on lights are generally illegal to use on the road. With good reason, as they are totally blinding to oncoming traffic. If you are off-road it doesn’t matter. On road you are pretty much limited to headlight replacement with better/brighter units. Look to something like a replacement headlight kit with led projectors. My understanding is a simple bulb swap is likely to make things worse. You really need the unit to be designed for an LED bulb.

Not all of us are brainless window lickers. I am very aware of how bright these lights are, and will always dip my lights for oncoming traffic, most times before I see the oncoming vehicle. It's easy to see the haze from their lights on the other side of a hill or curve. I use them on-road in rural areas and have been able to brake for wildlife on many occasions to avoid hitting them. Interesting thing that I've noticed is because they completely illuminate the roadside, deer tend to freeze instead of run, which does help. I'm not sure of your locale, but local law enforcement has never stopped me, and a few LEO's (acquaintances and friends) have quizzed me about them, asking how effective they are.

YMMV...........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice ram. Why do you take offense at my post? It wasn’t directed at you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
Nice ram. Why do you take offense at my post? It wasn’t directed at you?

No offense taken, just responding to your assumption (maybe mistakenly on my part) that those who have auxiliary lighting makes them automatic abusers of other people's eyeballs......................................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I have a 30" bar and a Unity HID roofmount spotlight on Big Whitey. Spotlight is a handy sumbish. And BRIGHT....

Don, is that a magnetic roof mount?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No, its the same style that is on cop cars, but roofmount and brighter. Went to get a link and see its discontinued and only halogen and led are available.

https://www.unityusa.com/390-Series-HID-Rooflight-S6-Discontinued_p_2637.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. LED would be my choice of the 2 available.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Are you wanting to enhance your lighting only off-road or while on the road?

Well K1500, I will use them for both. I have very sensitive eyes when it comes to light & normally use as little light as possible so I'm quick to dim for others like Badger said. The area I live in is full of deer. I've hit 16 deer with vehicles & since I'm a preacher I'm out often at night & could use better lights than I have. This is the main reason I want the lights though I will use them offroad now & then. In the southern coal fields of WV many people will tell you, every where we go is offroad [running joke round these parts].

As to being lawful, I was told the led light bars are illegal here. I haven't verified this though. Also the light can only be so far above the surface of the road. I've seen no one challenged by LE unless, like you say, you are running round blinding on coming traffic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.