-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I rode through it Yellowstone West to Cody in July 2019.

Sorry, it’s required that you go see Old Faithful 🙄. I mean you almost have to. I was there four+ hours waiting out the rain. When you see Old Faithful erupt three times in a row it’s much more impressive, the first one is sorta anticlimactic.

The food in the crowded restaurants varies between ordinary and awful, pack your own food and beverage in for the day if you can. An ice chest is your friend.

If your party is interested in firearms the museum in Cody is spectacular.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The National Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois is a must see.

https://www.nmmv.org/

Last edited by BeanMan; 06/10/23.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I rode through it Yellowstone West to Cody in July 2019.

Sorry, it’s required that you go see Old Faithful 🙄. I mean you almost have to. I was there four+ hours waiting out the rain. When you see Old Faithful erupt three times in a row it’s much more impressive, the first one is sorta anticlimactic.

The food in the crowded restaurants varies between ordinary and awful, pack your own food and beverage in for the day if you can. An ice chest is your friend.

If your party is interested in firearms the museum in Cody is spectacular.

You make it way too hard. You sit out on the porch (roof) of the Old Faithful Inn off the second floor and wait while enjoying an adult beverage or ice cream and latte. Great way to spend an hour or two with a good view of Old Faithful.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Find a walk in spot to fish for the Sat and Sunday. Hike a mile from the highway, and there will be very few about.

Next go around, do your trip after Labor Day.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/10/23.

1Minute
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by high_country_
Wife has us scheduled for a week including the 4th of July. I typically hate crowds, bad drivers and tourist traps....so, how do I make the best of this? We're staying at eagle creek near Gardiner. We're meeting my inlaws on what is surely their last road trip due to health and mobility issues.

Can a dog ride on a flatbed if it's in a kennel? Is it worth trying to fish?

Stories I've heard over the last couple of years make it sound like I'm burning vacation time to park in a traffic jam.

sorry man

rather have my balls pounded with a wooden hammer

Than to be in Yellowstone the week of July 4th

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Been there once and can’t wait to go back but will stay at the Old Faithful Inn at least one night. We did all the entrances and stayed way to long and had to drive back home Straight through to get back to work and that about killed the wife and I. I’m going to buy a small fire extinguisher of bear spray when I go back. We were at one of the stores in the park and was talking to a guy that works there about the bear spray and he said it works 100% of the time if you can wait until the bear is so close you can get it in their mouth and eyes but not to many people can wait that long 😆. Like idiots we didn’t buy any!!! We went and looked at a waterfall and came back and hopped in the vehicle and drove down the road and turned around and came back and looked over and their was a grizzly right where we had been. The only major traffic jams we had were from grizzlies and then the park rangers would be along pretty quick and give us all a tongue lashing and to get back moving.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always bring my spotting scope to YNP to look at distant animals. My favorite place to look is in Antelope valley area. However, very often Asians will approach you and, since you look like you know what you are doing, will inquire if they can ‘see too’. Depending on what sort of mood I’m in, I might let them look, otherwise, I politely tell them I see nothing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do the best you can this trip with the in-laws and go back some other time in late September or early October for a more comprehensive and enjoyable experience.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I just made it home from quick trip to seeley lake on a whim. Montana has so many more deer than we do it makes me sick.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The many joys of Yellowstone Park.

Sights and scenes that shouldn't be missed.

[Linked Image from cowboystatedaily.imgix.net]

It’s been said that you can’t fix stupid, but hang on for this one.  

If a certain tourist keeps up his shenanigans in Yellowstone Park, bears there might get a chance to permanently fix his stupid.

In a colossal display of unmitigated idiocy, a recently-circulated Instagram video shows a man jumping out of his car parked next to a bear (said to be a black bear) just a few yards from the road in Yellowstone.

As his buddy shoots video from the passenger seat, he jumps out of the car and runs directly at the bear, growling, grunting and making barking noises.

The baffled bear turns tail and runs off into some nearby trees.

Then the guy turns back toward the camera, rips off his shirt, flexes and does what appears to be a poor impression of a silverback gorilla.

The video of these blindingly stupid antics was shared on the aptly named “Tourons of Yellowstone” social media.

It’s indicated that the incident isn’t this aspiring emperor of idiots’ first such offence and that the video had been shared with Yellowstone Park authorities.

Yellowstone officials have seen the video and are on the case, Park Service spokeswoman Linda Veress told Cowboy State Daily on Monday afternoon.

“We're aware of these videos and are investigating. The charge in an incident like this would be a Class B misdemeanor with up to six months in jail and $5,000 fine,” she said.  “The charge/s could include for example disturbing wildlife, disorderly conduct (create/maintain a hazardous condition), and/or approaching wildlife.”

For his own sake, the perpetrator should probably hope that park rangers catch up with him before he decides to take a run at a mature grizzly and become the embodiment of: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...an-who-jumps-out-of-car-to-harass-bears/

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
When I worked there it was always fun to randomly pull over by the side of the road and peer intently into the woods. Pretty soon dozens of cars would do the same thing looking for the non-existent animal. Then we would just drive off with a smile.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
9 AM. The masses get up at 7:30, wait for everyone in the party to get all their morning stuff done, go get some breakfast, and show up at the gate at 9 AM. If you get to the gate at 8 or before, you will be ahead of the wave and traffic and parking will not be an issue. Same on the outbound. They all want to be back out of the park by 7ish so the traffic starts to get heavy around 5 and continues till 7. Before or after that is not a problem. Don't make problem where there isn't one. I travel in there quite a bit and it's not as bad as the negative comments would make it out to be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As was said before, just get off the road or improved trails by half a mile, and you'll have nearly complete solitude. Hike a mile or two, and you'll have the place to yourself.

Even some of the geyser trails are pretty quiet. Lots of great places to sit on a bench and read a book, waiting for a geyser to do it's thing.... or not. Experiencing Yellowstone is best done outside of a car and away from the crowds.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well day one is the books and I think I'm done here. The geysers are cool and there were lots of Buffalo....but beyond the thermal stuff we have very similar stuff hidden in my area.

The crowds were insane. We left gardiner at 530am and the stops were already nearly packed.

We're heading to Cody as soon as we can.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akasparky
The many joys of Yellowstone Park.

Sights and scenes that shouldn't be missed.

[Linked Image from cowboystatedaily.imgix.net]

It’s been said that you can’t fix stupid, but hang on for this one.  

If a certain tourist keeps up his shenanigans in Yellowstone Park, bears there might get a chance to permanently fix his stupid.

In a colossal display of unmitigated idiocy, a recently-circulated Instagram video shows a man jumping out of his car parked next to a bear (said to be a black bear) just a few yards from the road in Yellowstone.

As his buddy shoots video from the passenger seat, he jumps out of the car and runs directly at the bear, growling, grunting and making barking noises.

The baffled bear turns tail and runs off into some nearby trees.

Then the guy turns back toward the camera, rips off his shirt, flexes and does what appears to be a poor impression of a silverback gorilla.

The video of these blindingly stupid antics was shared on the aptly named “Tourons of Yellowstone” social media.

It’s indicated that the incident isn’t this aspiring emperor of idiots’ first such offence and that the video had been shared with Yellowstone Park authorities.

Yellowstone officials have seen the video and are on the case, Park Service spokeswoman Linda Veress told Cowboy State Daily on Monday afternoon.

“We're aware of these videos and are investigating. The charge in an incident like this would be a Class B misdemeanor with up to six months in jail and $5,000 fine,” she said.  “The charge/s could include for example disturbing wildlife, disorderly conduct (create/maintain a hazardous condition), and/or approaching wildlife.”

For his own sake, the perpetrator should probably hope that park rangers catch up with him before he decides to take a run at a mature grizzly and become the embodiment of: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/0...an-who-jumps-out-of-car-to-harass-bears/

I seen a replay of this guy today on Buffalo. I was rooting for the buffler.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Cody Museum is easily worth the drive.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,674
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.