Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18496388 06/11/23
S
SDLEFTY Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I need to upgrade several ARs. What is the consensus on the best bang for the buck triggers? These are for hunting, not competition. I'm darn particular. I want a clean, crisp and not a big creep trigger. I like a light one that I can adjust if it needs it. I'd probably run the same one on all of mine so they all feel the same. Thanks in advance. I'll pay more if there is a clear winner but I'm looking at 8 of them.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's hard to beat a Jewell.

Keep in mind, you will probably get a bunch of different responses here, but at one time, we sold quite a few triggers, and unfortunately, if you compare the exact same make and model (in quantity) they are not all the same.
There can be quite a bit of variation, even with the exact same trigger....if you have 20 or so to test side by side.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) is tops of my heap. I do have a Rise armament in one, and a CMC in one.

Best bang for your buck used to be Rock River two stage.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Larue MBT2S

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like RISE Armament and triggertech triggers in my ARs.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rock Rivers made up the majority of my triggers up until I found the Geissele G2S. Now I'm in the middle of changing them out as I can afford it.

However I have a Timney single stage in my main varmint rifle that is as crisp and light as I could want it.

And so it goes.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Does the OP want a single stage or 2 stage? He says it's going to be for hunting.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Best bang for my buck is Geissele G2S on sale. Around $100-$120 but out of the dozen or so I’ve had, they all have been great.

RR and LaRue are both good triggers for a little less money.

These are all 2 stage triggers and work well for hunting or target shooting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the Geissele SSA-E for a 2 stage trigger. These have a light crisp release and stay that way for thousands (probably tens of thousands) of rounds. They're expensive at retail but Geissele has fairly regular sales where they are heavily discounted.

For a single stage that isn't too spendy I like the CMC triggers. They've held up well on my rifles and have a nice release. Mine are around 3 pounds.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Geissele SSA-E for a 2 stage trigger, I have three.

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LaRue, RR, one of the Geissele's. Really, you can't go wrong with one of those 2 stage triggers. Especially for hunting.

Politics is War by Other Means
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Geissele SSA-E here too. It made a huge difference in shootability for me.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
SDLEFTY Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Sorry, got busy this morning but I think I want a single stage. I don't think any of my other guns are 2 stage. At least I haven't noticed any difference in poundage when pulling the trigger. If I'm correct, a single is set poundage all the way through the pull and a 2 stage there is a wall of some sort of two distinct pressures. Please educate if I'm wrong.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, there is some light and smooth take-up, then a distinct wall, where the pull starts to feel like a "real trigger". I've grown to like them just fine, having three in bolt guns and several in AR rifles. I usually lean toward the RR Varmint 2-stage for $80-ish. I'm not a big fan of a single stage in an AR.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brownells has their Geiselle G2S-E trigger on sale now.
Same pull weights as the SSA-E at a better price.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Single stage AR triggers are teh suk.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Sorry, got busy this morning but I think I want a single stage. I don't think any of my other guns are 2 stage. At least I haven't noticed any difference in poundage when pulling the trigger. If I'm correct, a single is set poundage all the way through the pull and a 2 stage there is a wall of some sort of two distinct pressures. Please educate if I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by JPro
Yes, there is some light and smooth take-up, then a distinct wall, where the pull starts to feel like a "real trigger". I've grown to like them just fine, having three in bolt guns and several in AR rifles. I usually lean toward the RR Varmint 2-stage for $80-ish. I'm not a big fan of a single stage in an AR.

This^^ I usually agree with Jpro on stuff. However, if the OP is used to a single stage on his hunting rifles, he may like a single stage trigger in his AR? The one I liked and used a bit was a CMC 3.5 pound pull single stage. It worked just fine in the AR15 and AR10 that it ultimately ended up in. However, if he wants to try a 2 stage, I'd suggest the Rock River 2 stage varmint match 3.5 pound pull trigger. That's all I use in my AR's anymore, besides the Geissele SSA-E that some are suggesting. To me, the question was "best bang for the buck" and the SSA-E has never been that. YMMV.. From what I've seen, guys just buy the Geissele because they know/heard it's good, but they don't give other triggers a fair shake. Try a Larue MBT2S, or a RR 2 stage varmint match. They are far less money and not that bad. To me, they are the "best bang for the buck" option..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well, I used Jewell triggers about 25 years ago, then Rock Rivers when they had the disco brads coming loose and I was replacing the brads with SS pins, still have a few pins left. Tried polished OEM triggers, Bushmaster's target version, Timney, and CMC's along with a few cassette type triggers. I also had a couple of Geissele single stage precision triggers, curved and flat faced that just never worked as well as the Geissele G2S for me. Oh and I gave Mark LaRue money for about 3 or 4 of his MBT's and I sent them on to others. Even had one of the Armalite copies of Millazzo that they denied ever making so I assure you I gave several a fair shake and I'm basing my opinion on my personal experience.

All of my bolt guns have single stage triggers but an AR is not a bolt gun and the added safety of a 2 stage trigger is well founded. I also run Glock triggers right along side good 1911 triggers and don't have any problems switching back and forth. The idea of "needing" a single stage for hunting just doesn't hold water.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Well, I used Jewell triggers about 25 years ago, then Rock Rivers when they had the disco brads coming loose and I was replacing the brads with SS pins, still have a few pins left. Tried polished OEM triggers, Bushmaster's target version, Timney, and CMC's along with a few cassette type triggers. I also had a couple of Geissele single stage precision triggers, curved and flat faced that just never worked as well as the Geissele G2S for me. Oh and I gave Mark LaRue money for about 3 or 4 of his MBT's and I sent them on to others. Even had one of the Armalite copies of Millazzo that they denied ever making so I assure you I gave several a fair shake and I'm basing my opinion on my personal experience.

All of my bolt guns have single stage triggers but an AR is not a bolt gun and the added safety of a 2 stage trigger is well founded. I also run Glock triggers right along side good 1911 triggers and don't have any problems switching back and forth. The idea of "needing" a single stage for hunting just doesn't hold water.

Maybe the OP will try a good 2 stage trigger then? I really like mine, but I've narrowed down most of mine to the RRA 2 stage varmint match. And yes, I've tried a few myself. BCM, Mil crap, Armalite National match, Larue MBT2s, CMC, RRA. and Geissele. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a RRA 2 stage varmint match for my girlfriends new AR. She likes mine enough that she noticed the one in her rifle felt like schidt and it was too heavy. Her words not mine. I'm sure the OP will make a good informed decision on which one to get. There are a lot of good triggers out there, now it's just a matter of which one to pick.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had the MBT2S, Jard adjustable single-stage, Timney single-stage, Rock River NM, Geissele G2S and SSA-E. Among the two-stage choices I prefer the SSA-E for it's very crisp break.

The Jard single-stage is an interesting trigger. It seems you can have a very light pull but with very perceptible (but very, very smooth) creep or you can have a crisp break but with the expense of a heavier pull weight. I found that the very light-but-creepy trigger adjustment was very usable, but I parted with the trigger to standardize all my ARs to the SSA-E. Rost now has my Jard, and maybe when he's had time to fiddle with it he can offer a second opinion. I might have just gone in that direction, but I didn't want to try to tune several of them to any level of uniformity. The SSA-Es drop right in and are hard to beat.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 793 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.