Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Wheeler one is a total POS and is all over the place. I get readings that vary over a pound +, depending on how it’s pulled and it’s impossible to be consistent with it. What’s a good one? What do the pros use?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/12/23.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chatillon spring scale is a good one.

J
JV3 Offline
J
I've been using the Lyman for a number of years. No complaints.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use the RCBS, it does require a through straight pull, but it reads with pretty fair consistency, to the same oz. I am not looking for an exact number to set to though. Pretty much near 3# for hunting and 4oz for target, I like a single set 3/4oz.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an old RCBS trigger pull scale. Been using it for 30 years. It's not the cats pajamas,but as long as I do my part to get a straight and steady pull it will give a consistent reading. One of these days I may upgrade, but it works for my needs

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants accuracy and precision, then

Force scale

Can be used to push or pull.

1Minute
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve tried the wheeler digital and the Lyman digital. They both suck. Or I suck using them both. Both seem way too dependent on consistent pulling on the tool, which is not easy to do. So depending on how you pull you can get widely varying readings. Well over 1 lb range. Which then begs the question… is it the trigger? Is it the gauge? Is it the nut working the gauge? There’s got to be a more accurate way or tool to do this this better.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/14/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My plain vanilla RCBS works great. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm just a plain old RCBS user also..
but one question are you sure it's the scale that inconsistent or is it the trigger? what type of trigger?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm a happy RCBS user for a long time because I don't care if a trigger is 2lb 4oz or 2lb 6oz.

I suspect each of the gauges mentioned are of a design that'll inherently return good accuracy, but it depends on the manufacturing protocols whether or not it's achieved, and what the QC standards, and enforcement thereof, are in the shops where they're made. One downside to mass production.

If one is truly anal about hair splitting accuracy, one would scurry home with his new gauge and hang it up and start hooking known accurate weights onto it to confirm its accuracy before denigrating or ballyhooing its utility, and then the comments merely reflect the accuracy of that particular tool not every single one made by Brand X.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
but one question are you sure it's the scale that inconsistent or is it the trigger? what type of trigger?
You name it, quality tuned factory triggers on M70’s, tigger techs, jewells, Bix n Andy, I can’t get any of em to read anything close to quasi accurate. I’m more than willing to admit it’s me, but a darn trigger scale is a simple tool. It shouldn’t be difficult to get consistent results.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm a happy RCBS user for a long time because I don't care if a trigger is 2lb 4oz or 2lb 6oz.

I suspect each of the gauges mentioned are of a design that'll inherently return good accuracy, but it depends on the manufacturing protocols whether or not it's achieved, and what the QC standards, and enforcement thereof, are in the shops where they're made. One downside to mass production.

If one is truly anal about hair splitting accuracy, one would scurry home with his new gauge and hang it up and start hooking known accurate weights onto it to confirm its accuracy before denigrating or ballyhooing its utility, and then the comments merely reflect the accuracy of that particular tool not every single one made by Brand X.

I would be absolutely thrilled with a 2 oz variance!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I made my own years ago close enuf for my needs

took some1/8? or 3/16? copper coated welding rod, put some bends in it to get a straight pull, fashioned some lead weights various sizes from 2 pound base weight with rod, down to 1 oz, coated them with clear lacquer. they have slots so i can slide them onto the base center, over the rod. hang from trigger, carefully

add weights until the trigger trips, adjust as needed

I dont want anything less than 2 lbs, preferably 2.5 to 3, only

not real scientific i suppose but i was broke with that stock on hand

never really had the need to upgrade, tho its a bit clumsy but it gets me pretty close ballparky

would not claim its "quality" no matter how close and repeatable it is.

Redneck maybe.... low end...

Last edited by las; 06/15/23. Reason: rcbs trigger guage

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Possibly the most accurate one discussed so far.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Correction. Used it last night, first time in several years. Base weight is marked 2 1/2#. This includes the rod. Original Tanger trigger needed adjusting down from over 3 1/2# - now "about" 2# 12 oz. Feels much better!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]
This ^^^ one has been working for me

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by las
I made my own years ago close enuf for my needs

took some1/8? or 3/16? copper coated welding rod, put some bends in it to get a straight pull, fashioned some lead weights various sizes from 2 pound base weight with rod, down to 1 oz, coated them with clear lacquer. they have slots so i can slide them onto the base center, over the rod. hang from trigger, carefully

add weights until the trigger trips, adjust as needed

I dont want anything less than 2 lbs, preferably 2.5 to 3, only

not real scientific i suppose but i was broke with that stock on hand

never really had the need to upgrade, tho its a bit clumsy but it gets me pretty close ballparky

would not claim its "quality" no matter how close and repeatable it is.

Redneck maybe.... low end...

Ballparky?????

I have the Lyman now.

But, in the past I have been known to hang a coffee can with wire from the trigger with the rifle oriented vertically. Then add water until the trigger breaks. Weigh the can of water.

Kind of funky, and a bit labor intensive, but consistent.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
I’ve been using an RCBS one since the 90’s. I keep it in the original cardboard box and was thinking the other day I need to throw that damn ragged box away. Trigger pull gauge has been used a lot and always works great. I’d also have to wonder if the op just has a very inconsistent trigger, or is it actually the gauge?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read all of this, plus watched Youtube videos. The conclusion I came to is all of them under $100 suck.

Except for what has been said here about the RCBS gauge. But they no longer make it. I guess Ebay is the only choice to find one quickly.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I’m still looking too. It’s impossible to pull one the same way and same speed every time, which results in dramatically different numbers. There has to be a better way, and or a better tool.

Can someone post a model number for this magical RCBS jobber?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.