Print Thread
Hop To
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Fishing buddy and I are talking about heading east for a couple days in August with my canoe and fishing Lake St Clair.

Anyone know anything about that? Where to canoe fish that time of year, and stay relative clear of the speeding bass boats?

We’ll be tent camping and thinking about Alognac SP but not sure where to fish and want to minimize travel time each morning.

I posted this question on Michigan Sportsmen but wondered if anyone here might have insight?

GB1

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds like august would be a bad choice of times to make this trip. Fish are deep which means long paddles thru waters ruled by “recreational watercraft” of the speedy, wake-making sort.

Might shoot for October.

LSC is kind of a dream for smallmouth fishermen in the upper Midwest. Huge fish. Muskie & walleye too.

It’ll happen just gotta find the right time.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m not from there, never fished it, so take this with a grain of salt. I looked at the lake as if I were going to fish it for the first time. I would go in August if staying at that park.

First thing I noticed is there really isn’t any “deep” water. Max depth is 30 feet on the whole lake and all of that is what appears to be a river channel that appears to be maintained as a shipping channel through the middle of the lake. The deepest area appears to be the three channels from St. Clair River flowing in from the north to that state park you mentioned. So you’re not really forced into the main lake to fish the deepest water.

That area is also speed and wake restricted according to the chart. Should be fine in a kayak or smaller craft. Lots of docks and rocks from the state park.

I’d start my day on the docks and rocks trying to get a reaction bite up shallow. As it gets brighter out, move away from the bank and throw crankbaits to get a little deeper to the first main depth change from 8 to 20 feet or so. As it gets to 11 AM to noon, start drop shotting the channel.

You may be able to pull cranks or a bottom bouncer with spinner/worm and catch a mixed back of bass and walleye.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.