Print Thread
Hop To
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That looks cool but I'm still stuck on my Fred Flintstone way of annealing...

nothing really to go wrong, its that simple and there is nothing moving when I anneal.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Seafire

nothing really to go wrong, its that simple and there is nothing moving when I anneal.

I made one of these but put a permanent fixture for the brass so nothing moves and is always in the correct place. Mine anneals lapua 6.5 creedmoor brass in 3 seconds and I can go thru 100 pieces of brass in minutes. My groups compared to gas annealing have shrunk as well I'm assuming because gas can be difficult to get the same consistency when the torch tank gets low

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Since the wife likes Amazon so much, maybe she can Christmas shop one for me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would never but a product that’s not finished. You have to basically configure it for use, coils too big, too small, “cannibalize” them to work. I can see lots of problem or damaged brass while you try to figure it out. Not for me

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 06/16/23.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by Seafire

I made one of these but put a permanent fixture for the brass so nothing moves and is always in the correct place.
I was thinking of exactly that. Any pics of the fixture setup?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My understanding is heating brass until it's red is overheating it. Is that wrong?

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I google searched annealing cases, I came upon a English forum. Understand you don't want to anneal, only stress relieve . I wish I could find it again. The poster attached some metallurgy engineering graphs for stress relieving brass. At 400*C you have the most consistent stress relieving of brass. Much above that will damage brass, I think it was 450*C ?, and below that the stress relieving can be hit and miss. I have some Templac 400*C coming. I had some Tempstix but couldn't find them to check their range.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
When I google searched annealing cases, I came upon a English forum. Understand you don't want to anneal, only stress relieve . I wish I could find it again. The poster attached some metallurgy engineering graphs for stress relieving brass. At 400*C you have the most consistent stress relieving of brass. Much above that will damage brass, I think it was 450*C ?, and below that the stress relieving can be hit and miss. I have some Templac 400*C coming. I had some Tempstix but couldn't find them to check their range.

This might be what you’re looking for?

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/stress-relief-annealing-cartridge-brass.139418/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem

This might be what you’re looking for?

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/threads/stress-relief-annealing-cartridge-brass.139418/
I posted that too a year ago. It didn't get any traction then and doubt it will now either. Maybe because it's a different method than is commonly used here. I did try it with some Ivory bar soap and it did turn black. I then had the black residue to deal with. My next trial is going to be with lower temperature Tempilaq below the shoulder like Al_Nyhus has posted about.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, a Thank You .

I'm waiting for my bottle of TempLac. I ordered though my local welding store . The one bottle in their system was in Toronto . They sent a TempStix instead. That wouldn't work in the flame. My plan is to dab some on the inside of the neck and time it, maybe five or so. . I picked up an alcohol burner hoping it would be cooler and thus slower than a propane torch .I now have a gallon of ethanol. Too bad it's denatured. I also got a electronic timer. All in, it's less than $200 Canadian. Crude and slow.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yesterday I dug out my Salt Bath annealing kit. I haven’t used it in a long time because I usually just do 20-40 cases at a time and it’s quicker to set up torch, drill & socket, and metronome app. But I thought I’d try it again. Once it’s up to temperature it works very quickly. It didn’t take me very long to do 240 cases.
I kept the temp about 525-540 deg C and 6-7 seconds using the metronome app.
100 Lapua 6.5CM, 100 Lapua 6mm Dasher, and 40 IVI nato 223.
Maybe I’ll start using this method more often after reading the other annealing thread started by Charlie Sisk.

Last edited by mod7rem; 06/17/23.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My version of this, for a 223 based case, is to hold the brass upside down in the flame so it is annealing all 360 degrees of the neck at the same time. I hold it using a pair of needle nose pliers, and count to 7 and drop it in my little metal decorative bucket I bought at Wally World for a $1.00 years ago...

Hillbilly Mechanics....

$10 worth of propane originally lasted me 12 years plus, and I'll bet I've anneal Way beyond 20,000 pieces of brass in that 12 years. One day I just decided to throw another $10 in at down at the gas station... Tank will probably out last me.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is at the other end of the expense spectrum. My friend picked up an AMP , but he is a serious Farky Class competitor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks a lot for your work and sharing your video!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.