Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
He always said that Harry Truman probably saved his life.

I found a picture of him with his Platoon at San Diego... Platoon #751.

Those bombs saved millions of lives.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I think that it is a NCO sword. You probably shouldn't try to clean it yourself

My Dad was with the 6th Marine Division on Okinawa and he too was sent to China. He had a Japanese Major surrender to him in China who gave him his battle flag, sword and knife. I have the flag and knife but the sword was stolen from his seabag. I don't remember what the city was named in those days but now it is Tsingtao. Eighty-seven days under fire on Okinawa and then they were being readied for the invasion of Japan when President Truman ordered the bomb to be dropped. After Japan surrendered he was told that they had been scheduled to be part of the first wave into Tokyo Bay.
He always said that Harry Truman probably saved his life.

I found a picture of him with his Platoon at San Diego... Platoon #751.

One day when my nephew was 16 and working at the McDonalds outside of West Point an elderly gentleman on line looked at him intently and asked if his last name was [O’Birdy]. No my nephew replied but that was his late grandfather’s name (my nephew grew up in my dad’s house).

The gentleman then stated my father’s full name and asked if that was him. Indeed it was. The gentleman stated that he had been my father’s Commanding Officer on Okinawa and that my father had saved his life twice.

That nephew is 28 now, but at 16 he did not think to get the guy’s name or contact info. You may know that few records exist pertaining to personnel records of the 6th Marines on Okinawa. We were not able to identify who that gentleman might have been.

If he was an Officer, did your father ever mention promoting a guy who had saved his life?

No my Dad was a PFC. He did tell about himself and another Marine hauling a load of ammo from the beach in a jeep through a field of what he called sugarcane. They were on a track beat down through this field of really tall cane, beat down by tanks and jeeps and trucks, when a Jap Zero came zipping along from the coast following this track and strafing them. They jumped out of the jeep, one going left one going right while firing their Garands at the plane. It never pulled up, just kept flying the same course until it crashed into a hill. He didn't think they hit him but that he had been hit attacking the fleet.

I do have, on my dining room wall, an old chain and weight driven wall clock that Dad found in a cave he cleared after a few grenades had been tossed in. It had been some sort of command post or something and the grenades had knocked it off a rock ledge breaking the case. His Dad made a new case out of good old MO. cedar after it came to MO. I've got his Marbles sheath knife that he thought was issued to him on Guadalcanal. The stacked leather handle has been replaced with flattened, stacked cartridge brass and plexiglass from a Zero's canopy. It was what he used hunting for the rest of his years.

Did your Dad ever speak of the Habu snakes?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Might want to check out Legacy Collectables, they deal with WW2 weapons and have Japanese swords on their website. I've never dealt with them but they note appraisal services.

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/edged-weapons

Thanks for the story and pictures.. glad it's finally home
Chris

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Did your Dad ever speak of the Habu snakes?

No mention of snakes that I recall, us kids would ask him and he’d give vague answers. He did mention a zero coming over. He also mentioned being at Shuri Castle and Naha. And again atone point he was guarding or defending an artillery emplacement over the Bay and saw kamikaze attacks of shipping. One night on guard duty he throughly perforated a goat moving around in the dark.

Some more interesting pics….

There’s a retaining catch that falls naturally under the thumb on the draw.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

Note in the previous pic above and below how roughly finished the brass blade collar is…..

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The blade was originally polished to some extent, there are a few nicks on the moderately sharp edge. Heck coulda been guys horsing around with captured swords at some point.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

The sheath is covered with leather, brass at the top but with a thin wood lining. It feels too light to be brass, maybe wood?

Who knows now what the X II meant. Factory marks?

[Linked Image from ]

…and the tip of the sheath….

[Linked Image from ]

I’m really happy it’s still in as good a shape as it is. My nephews all knew my dad well when they were kids, this is a great heirloom 😎

Thanks for the helpful input all.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be careful!!!!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Congratulations on a cool sword. There are alot of variations in the Jap swords. So this is my opinion and is worth what you paid for it.
It appears to be late war fittings probably machine made blade BUT many extremely old valuable swords were mounted in military furniture. It would not be an NCO swords as the handles were metal. The sheath is wood covered with leather I was told leather covered sheathed swords were carried in combat.
You may want someone with experience to remove the wood pin to take the handle of. Some have signatures and dates in Kanji on the tang also Arsenal stamps mostly on non traditional blades.
Chogi oil(clove oil) along with a cloth ball with fine powder is used in cleaning the blade. Yours looks like it needs a more aggressive polish/cleaning.
The blade is traditionally not supposed to be touched with your hands. I have seen blades with finger hand rust on them.
There are alot of books on the care of Japanese swords. I could go on and on as to what the Japanese names are for the swords parts but that would be boring for most.
I used to collect buy/sell alot of swords. A little knowledge can be dangerous when it comes to buying and selling. Have fun learning about and enjoying your piece of history.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I've learned anything from being there while my wife watched Antiques Roadshow, it is that you shouldn't make ANY attempt to clean or take it apart until a genuine expert looks at it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That'll look good with your Alamo kit smile

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Wondr if there’s any DNA on the blade?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pretty cool! I dug out the sword my father brought back from the war. He was on Okinawa in 1945 also, but flying as a bombardier/navigator on a B-25. My father told me in their spare time they explored the caves and bunkers the Japanese had occupied and found a lot of souvenirs.................swords, knives, firearms, flags and more than a few deceased Japanese. He told me he found a much longer and more ornate sword, but it wouldn't fit it in his duffel so he left it behind when they shipped out. It's a wonder this one survived my brothers and I when we were young. Other than some staining, the blade is in good shape and if you get the light right you can still see the tempering line. It doesn't have the locking tab like Birdwatchers, having a leather thong that used to have a snap to secure it to the sheath.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool photos, looks like that sword is more ornate than the one in our possession.

Seems appropriate to post this here, taken on Okinawa, my father is in front, in the middle. I never saw this photo until after my father’s death, my mother had it put away with other photos so I do not know the names of the other guys.

My father was always proud of his service, at his request he was wearing his original dress blues in his casket, 21 gun salute at his funeral. He just didn’t like to talk about his experience on Okinawa.

Some time after he made rank, the gentleman standing is also in the Okinawa pic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.