Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I milled these Walnut logs about 10 years ago. They have been air drying, covered, outside. I was hoping to get a couple gunstocks out of them. I planed several 3" boards and there is some beautiful wood in there, but, every one has a crack in the pretty part. I just planed a thinner one, down to 4/4, and it's perfect, no defects. That's going to be a plant stand for my daughter. I have one nice 31/2" board that looks good, with some nice crotch wood in it. Hoping to get that one in the planer this week end?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Good stuff Joe

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Do you make your own stocks ? That's some fine looking wood

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HIGHGEARED1
Do you make your own stocks ? That's some fine looking wood
No, but I was hoping to get some good blanks. There are a couple I could probably get a good straight grained matching forearm and butt stock. All of the figured wood has cracks in the figured part. I do have two more 3" slabs to plane. Maybe I'll get lucky?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful wood out in the woodpile

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I personally would fill the cracks with epoxy and use them. That is some beautiful wood.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by missedbycracky
I personally would fill the cracks with epoxy and use them. That is some beautiful wood.

Yep, but probably not for gunstocks. Try as I might I can't see how that highly figured slab can yield fancy grain in the butt and nice straight grain in the wrist where it's really needed for strength.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I might trace a stock on a piece of cardboard and see if I can arrange it with a piece of straight grain in the wrist. Just by eyeball, I could not do it.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good point, Gary. I once did a 2 ply laminate on a Contender buttstock, and it didn't look as goofy as I feared. On a 99, I would try a 3 ply if I couldn't find a single ply with structural integrity in the wrist. Maybe I am just too emotionally invested in the beautiful grain, and need a dash of cold water in the face.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
plexiglass stock template

[Linked Image]

I made a 3-ply stock just to make use of the pretty (twisted) piece of wood, it was alot of extra work, and the jury is still out on long-term stability, but I'm pretty confident. The glue lines are always going to be there though..

some wood is just meant for a pretty cutting board

Last edited by JeffG; 06/17/23.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I look forward to seeing pics of this new stock on your 99

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've got to get me a piece of plexiglass like Jeff has. Got one more piece planed. I have 3 stock sized pieces left to plane. One looks real straight, little to no figure, but it may still be real pretty. Can't tell till you open them up? here's the one i did today.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 06/20/23.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gary's vast knowledge and experience is recognized and honored here.., but I sure would have a hard time setting those pretty crotch-grain planks aside in favor of straight-grain-through-the-wrist-quarter-sawn stability...

I say order up a gallon of West System, and call it "field-grade"!

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could you take proactive action and imbed strengthening dowels before you attach the stock to the gun?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...prolly the only way to really get a custom stock blank to fit properly..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 06/20/23.

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where did that wood come from Joe?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffG
Gary's vast knowledge and experience is recognized and honored here.., but I sure would have a hard time setting those pretty crotch-grain planks aside in favor of straight-grain-through-the-wrist-quarter-sawn stability...

I say order up a gallon of West System, and call it "field-grade"!

West System and I are old friends. I've consumed 50 gallon drums of the stuff in my life, literally (in the maritime industry). But, there's no substitute for intelligent grain layout in a rifle stock. Prettiness is trumped by simple stability every time. What good is a rifle that won't hold zero because its squirrely-grained stock moves with every whim of Mother Nature? Or a stock that wishes only to crack at recoil-bearing points? Such a gun is a lesser thing in terms of meeting the definition of a "good reliable rifle", even if it secures the accolades of admirers with its fancy figure. (Note here also that "figure" isn't the same as "grain". It's possible to have beautiful figure along with nice grain - fiddleback figure derived from quartersawing is a prime example.) The ultimate trick is to encompass jaw-dropping figure where it doesn't matter at the same time encompassing tight straight grain where it does matter, to whit the wrist and action bearing points, and fore arm where you truly don't want wood that moves at the slightest change in atmospheric conditions.

When designing/building a hunting rifle or especially a target rifle, give me tight straight grain, preferably cut from an old slow growing tree and air dried to perfection, because form definitely follows function in those cases. I'll save the fancy stuff for the safe queens whose purpose in life is to massage my eyeballs!

Small wonder that composite stocks are the darling of modern precisionists and extreme weather enjoyers. They've surrendered. grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/21/23.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Yep, but probably not for gunstocks. Try as I might I can't see how that highly figured slab can yield fancy grain in the butt and nice straight grain in the wrist where it's really needed for strength.

Take that to the bank. Sound reasoning.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
...That is some beautiful wood.

Yep, but probably not for gunstocks...

This, unfortunately.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
Where did that wood come from Joe?

???

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,049
Posts18,482,264
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.