Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well here it is a quiet Friday evening in Redcliff. Cops/SWAT blocking my house/street. Orders to shelter in place, stay inside.
Some idiot a couple doors down is barricaded apparently.
Appropriate measures have been instituted in my house. Entertainment for the evening, SWAT and the Campfire!
Jeff

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Two doors down, they’re laughin’ and drinkin’ and havin’ a party,
Two doors down, they’re not aware that I’m around!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
troutfly;
Good evening Jeff, I hope that despite the excitement you're all well as can be.

That's something I've never had direct experience with, other than being detoured home one time when a local had a bit of a meltdown so the road got closed.

Here's hoping it ends well for all parties.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Two doors down, they’re laughin’ and drinkin’ and havin’ a party,
Two doors down, they’re not aware that I’m around!

I thought of that already LOL.
Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
troutfly;
Good evening Jeff, I hope that despite the excitement you're all well as can be.

That's something I've never had direct experience with, other than being detoured home one time when a local had a bit of a meltdown so the road got closed.

Here's hoping it ends well for all parties.

Dwayne

It's is a bit different for sure. SWAT has the Command Post set up in my driveway.
I just heard that it is a hostage situation so, no wonder they are taking it slow.

I was involved in a situation in Edmonton in the mid 90's. I was doing a ride along with Edmonton Ambulance Service. Had a call for a "Person down in the alley"
Rolled up slowly, sure looked to be a person down. We started to dismount the amb, all the while surveying the area for hazards etc when a guy jumped up from behind the dumpster with a 12g pointed at us. We jumped back in real quick like and hit reverse hard. SWAT came and talked him down after several hours. Dude wanted the drugs he thought we had on board. They frog marched him right past us, I told the cop they should have taken him out. I was recently back from downtown Sarajevo and unarmed. Not a good feeling.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff;
Thanks for the reply and further info.

Holy Smokes that'd be unnerving to say the least having a crackhead point a shotgun at you!

Ugh - that would not be good in any way.

I suspect if the ERT are set up in your driveway, at least there's an added degree of safety in that.

Again here's hoping everyone gets to see the sunrise tomorrow, though possibly some from a cell.

Let us know if you're so inclined.

All the best to you all tonight.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi Dwayne,
Thanks! I think it will be a long night as more cops just arrived and jumped into the CP truck.
Heard a couple bangs about 10 mins ago. Sounded like flash bangs.

Un-nerving to say the least ref the shotgun incident.
I was actually quite ticked off more than anything because, here I was, a soldier just back from
a war zone and totally unarmed. Such is life in Canada.
Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a great way to spend a Fri night. It seems like insanity breaks out more and more often these days

Do you have any idea who is living in that house?

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Not a great way to spend a Fri night. It seems like insanity breaks out more and more often these days

Do you have any idea who is living in that house?

Not the plan I had for sure.
Command post is literally set up in my driveway. Good thing I don't have to work in the morning.
My wife was supposed to at midnight, makes donuts etc for the local bakery all night but she can't leave the house.
Perimeter has expanded out a block more.

No idea who lives there. It is often empty then someone moves in for a while.
Kind of transient place it seems.
Used to be a nice family there but the Mom passed away a number of years ago, the place was sold shortly after.
My boys were friends with the kids there at the time.

Jeff

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
0135hrs MTN the dispatcher called back to let us know it was resolved. CP was cleared from my driveway shortly afterwards.
Was an interesting way to spend a Friday evening. I guess it will be sometime tomorrow before I find out what all happened.
Have a great, safe weekend all,
Jeff

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thankfully it sounds as if it was resolved without anyone being hurt. So often these things seem to end on a bad note.

Jim

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was expecting you to say, just another weekend in Redcliff. You’ll have to post what all the excitement was about.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad you are safe Jeff. I've never been to Alberta but have heard it described as "the Texas of the North". It's a bummer about your restrictive handgun laws but IIRC short barreled shotguns are common. One of those would make a fine choice to repel boarders.

Hopefully the undesirable events don't repeat in your neighbor hood at all.

Please don't feed the trolls!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hi guys,

It was resolved peacefully it seems around 0130hrs or so. There was a flurry of activity around 2100 with loud commands to raise hands, lie down etc a couple times then nothing. No one was taken away that I could see from my great vantage spot. Around 2230hrs, 2 loud bangs likely flash bangs and then again nothing. Guy was holed up in a small camper trailer on the property. I suspect he fell asleep and the ERT guys moved in quietly around 0120 or so.
The only info released today was that one person was in custody with more details coming once charges are laid.
There was talk in the neighbourhood that someone was taken away via ambulance earlier in the evening but unconfirmed at this point. There was one rifle shot that I heard 2030ish.

Redcliff is normally a very quiet little place just on the edge of Medicine Hat in SE Alberta. The house in question is not known as a problem place at all. Something very out of character happened it seems. There was a very loud, profanity laced argument over there on Thursday which was a bit odd. This is a very old, established part of town with lots of families and seniors. Laidback bunch of fun loving Rednecks.

Hey Steve, I considered posting something along the lines of just another Friday night in Redcliff LOL. It is Redcliff Days after all. Attended the pancake breakfast this morning and checked out the Show and Shine along with some lovely ladies in Daisy Dukes! Ah yes, the annual kick-off to Summer here.

Hi 2ndwind: thanks, it was an interesting evening to be sure. You need to visit Texas North one day. Great hunting and fishing. Scenery to die for.
You are right, our handgun laws suck. I keep a short 44 Mag carbine near at hand for emergencies. Short barrel 12g are popular as well though.

My phone was lighting up for an hour initially with my kids and some friends checking on us as word spread of the location of the standoff spread. One of thest txts was from a young lady I work with. Basically she said she had a call from someone who told her the location was corner 5th and 5th in Redcliff. She was like, why do I know that location????? Holy Crap I know who that is! So she fired up a msg of "hey, you guys doing ok? Heard there is an armed standoff at your place!" We spent the evening txting back and forth once I put her mind at ease. I helped her through a work place harassment issue a few years ago so we are close. Concerned friends are good to have around.

All is good tonight, might go watch the Redcliff Days fireworks if we can stay up that long this evening LOL.

Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm glad to see that the fuss wasn't super close to the family on 5th St. SE. smile According to the news, RCMP responded to an incident at a residence in the area of 4th Street and 5th Avenue. That's a few blocks away. My SIL worked at Trukkers for years.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm glad to see that the fuss wasn't super close to the family on 5th St. SE. smile According to the news, RCMP responded to an incident at a residence in the area of 4th Street and 5th Avenue. That's a few blocks away. My SIL worked at Trukkers for years.

Good evening Steve,
News was a bit off on the location. I'm on the corner of 5th and 5th. Incident was literally behind the house across the street. Second house in from the corner. Just ranged it with my new Leupold range finder for schitts and giggles, it is 53 meters from me.

Trukkers is our favourite diner. We go on our anniversary and birthday for dinner. Best French Dip around!
Friday fish and chips is worth it too.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You needed a little excitement. 😀

If you ever met a short, 4' 10' server named Kelly at Trukkers, she was my SIL. She was the one who died in April. Her husband worked the rigs, but he's too old for that now.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
It definitely made an otherwise quiet evening interesting LOL. More info came out today about it. Nothing about what started it though I suspect the argument Thursday is a factor.
The RCMP have charged a 32 yr guy with Discharge with intent, Discharge firearm while being reckless (whatever that is), 12 additional un-named firearm charges, Resist arrest, Failure to comply with release conditions, Breach of a conditional sentence order. It wouldn't surprise me if possession of a firearm while prohibited was one of the 12.
For a quiet house, this guy was under everyone's radar it seems. I heard 1-2 shots early on, seems that maybe what sounded like flashbangs were a couple shots he took inside the trailer later on. Amazing that the cops never returned fire. I'll bet he had fallen asleep when they arrested him LOL. Just when you think you live in a quiet part of town.

We met your SIL a few times at least. Sorry to hear she has passed away, just knew someone from Trukkers had died recently.
Heck, we just had supper there tonight, 41st anniversary, busy place, the staff earn their bucks. Good food, good service always win out though.
Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Happy anniversary!

I have a dental tomorrow and book editing. Nothing exciting.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Happy anniversary!

I have a dental tomorrow and book editing. Nothing exciting.

Thanks very much!
I'm busy putting finishing touches to an article for Canadian Firearms Journal then my monthly fly tying column in Alberta Outdoorsmen.
Have fun with dental.
Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.