Print Thread
Hop To
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oregon posted draw results this morning.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In my 27 years here.. I've learned to never even bothering... seems like if you are from Potlandia and Salem or Eugene, you get drawn. If you are from every where else in the state that is mainly conservative and Republican, chances of drawing seem a lot less.... can we say political corruption...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
wow, who pissed in your cornflakes? Sounds like you're getting out about what you put in. Funny how that works. Usually it's the damned democrat freeloaders who can't figure out the connection between effort and results. I find it sad to see a self-proclaimed conservative fall into the victim mentality trap.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well we drew a murders creek elk tag out of the 25% pool I was shocked 😲.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I drew a Keating elk tag. Mule deer tags are getting harder and harder to draw.

IC B2

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got about what I expected except for one which really throws a wrench into the works. But it is a gold plated wrench, not complaining. I burned 6 preference points on an elk tag that takes 0 to draw and now I'm probably not going to hunt it because it conflicts with ...

I drew the Keno Unit premium deer tag. For the non-Oregonians who don't know the nuances / meanings, the premium tags are 1 tag per unit per species per year, open draw, no points. This unit is 1047 square miles from the OR/CA state line north to the south end of Crater Lake National Park and from the Cascade crest / Pacific Crest Trail east to Highway 97. It goes from Aug 1 through Nov 30. There is a little competition for parts of the time .. archery season in September, a 10 day controlled buck hunt in early October, and a controlled archery season later in October, but during the rut, and during the period when winter settles in, snow starts, and pushes the big bucks down out of the high country into the winter area in the valley bottom, I have the only tag for 1047 square miles.

I've been backpacking the area for 10+ years, plus day hikes, looking for predators, sussing out the old abandoned trails from pre-Wilderness days. I know the area fairly well, not like someone who grew up in it, but fairly well. You c'n bet for the first time in memory I'll actually be doing some scouting. Talk to ODFW about what routes the critters take coming out ahead of snow. Etc.

There are probably better tags .. I should say units with maybe even bigger deer .. but there are no tags where quality of tag meets my personal feet on the ground experience.

So hearing via John that only democrats from Portland, Salem, and Eugene get good tags .. sorta ruffles my tailfeathers a bit. I like John but sometimes he gets his foot in his mouth. 27 years .. he's a noob. I've been here 59 years, born here, raised here, and God willing, when my time is up I will die here and be buried here. F**k the democrats, this is MY damned state. And f**k anyone that wants to talk it down. If someone wants to do something useful, move here, register, and vote republican. Help take it back.

Sorry .. got a little riled up there. Rant over. Sorry. Anyways, I got a pretty cool tag.

Here be dragons ...
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Good luck that should be a great hunt.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome on the keno premium tag. Drove the 97 few times and always thought what a Beautiful deer country.
Good luck and tagging a big buck.
Are you going to wait till the rut starts in November? Or

My son, daughter and I drew Malhuer buck tag, nothing for elk. So I’m doing OTC spike tag again for Like 3rd or 4th year straight. Ugh what elk tag did you burn up 6 points on?
I also didn’t draw in AZ and NM. Bad year for me

Last edited by Dre; 06/19/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yeah, rut and migration. I have to talk to the biologists out of Klamath Falls about timing of the migration and routes. My guess is they'll be down on the lower slopes before the rut begins.

Elk ... I put in for 200M .. cascade muzzleloader. I've hunted the nearby controlled centerfire hunts .. no interest in doing it again. I'm not interested in a big-three tag in NE Oregon, too far, don't have time. I want one elk with a muzzleloader and one with a handgun. My best chances are right here in the upper Rogue hunting the O-T-C general season rifle tag with a revolver and hunting the same area with the Cascade ML tag which is a 0 point draw. So even if I don't hunt it this year because I'm after the premium deer, losing my points doesn't stop me from getting the tag next year if I want it. There is no loss of anything I value in this for me.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Drew keno deer and south eastern cascade tags.

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Yeah, rut and migration. I have to talk to the biologists out of Klamath Falls about timing of the migration and routes. My guess is they'll be down on the lower slopes before the rut begins.

Elk ... I put in for 200M .. cascade muzzleloader. I've hunted the nearby controlled centerfire hunts .. no interest in doing it again. I'm not interested in a big-three tag in NE Oregon, too far, don't have time. I want one elk with a muzzleloader and one with a handgun. My best chances are right here in the upper Rogue hunting the O-T-C general season rifle tag with a revolver and hunting the same area with the Cascade ML tag which is a 0 point draw. So even if I don't hunt it this year because I'm after the premium deer, losing my points doesn't stop me from getting the tag next year if I want it. There is no loss of anything I value in this for me.
Having lived in the klamath and keno areas for over fifty years, I envy your draw.. Think canyon during the winter months. And the benches on both sides. Don't over look Chicken hills area!

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is an interesting thought. My plan was to focus up high in Sky Lakes and Mountain Lakes wildernesses early, then the canyons coming out of them to the east as snow start, and finish it out at the toe of the pine forest. I hadn't thought about the other (SE) side of the river. Huh. I don't know that area. I need to go take a wander over there. Might be a better option after snow starts.

Here be dragons ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We only drew controlled buck in Sled Springs. Hopefully it won't be too dry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a great year for me but I didn't really expect much, only tag is a 2nd choice deer tag for E. Biggs that can be OK depending on weather. May see how the summer goes and just do general deer instead since we have the later seasons this year. That and chase spike elk somewhere over east.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That is an interesting thought. My plan was to focus up high in Sky Lakes and Mountain Lakes wildernesses early, then the canyons coming out of them to the east as snow start, and finish it out at the toe of the pine forest. I hadn't thought about the other (SE) side of the river. Huh. I don't know that area. I need to go take a wander over there. Might be a better option after snow starts.
Keep in mind the wolves are in the northern parts of keno heavily! Big bucks are not everywhere in Keno, but a few seem to be taken yearly. Also migration of Keno deer is to just drop into the benches above the canyon. Trapping the canyon rim for years, dead of winter I would see nice bucks along the rim rock. If you want PM before scouting, I will update you on what we've been seeing!

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
One other thing I have to figure out regarding the area near the river are the boundaries of the Pokegama travel management area. I think it closes .. Nov 20-ish? I'm looking for a good map for that.

My first spots will probably be up on top in the wilderness areas near the lakes. Do some fishing, look for sign, be ready to shoot a really big buck if one shows up, but not get in a hurry and take a dink just because it's available. I have a reputation for being rough on forked horns. smile Not doing that on this tag.

Yeah, general deer should be a good tag this year .. depending on weather.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
One other thing I have to figure out regarding the area near the river are the boundaries of the Pokegama travel management area. I think it closes .. Nov 20-ish? I'm looking for a good map for that.

My first spots will probably be up on top in the wilderness areas near the lakes. Do some fishing, look for sign, be ready to shoot a really big buck if one shows up, but not get in a hurry and take a dink just because it's available. I have a reputation for being rough on forked horns. smile Not doing that on this tag.
I applied for the tag also, happy to see you received, there are some good opportunities out there!

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Tioga 1st season for elk
21 points for deer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, general deer should be a good tag this year .. depending on weather.
Tom,

I've hunted Pokegama in the past, and have taken some pretty good sized deer out of there. I like hunting that unit also.
Not overly crowded ( like units with more hunters than deer). At the altitude its at, its still pretty easy hunting and getting around in there... on foot or in a vehicle. I walk and stalk a lot, and the area is perfect for that also.

Best of luck out that way....one of my favorite units to hunt.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.