Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tater74 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My own 50 foot well for irrigating a garden. I have 93 acres that we are building on. Other wells in the area are around 50 feet. We have a water supply company for domestic use. I hate to pay that rate for a big garden/orchard. I have watched some YouTube videos and I do have a tractor with a pto mounted post hole digger.

I saw one video that showed a guy using a 1/2 inch drill and sections of pipe to go that deep.

There is no rock.

Thanks

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You might be able to. My grandpa used to look for gravel with a post auger, keep adding more pipe. Good luck.

What would you case it with?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, a warning: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. It's stupid, it's dangerous, it's not smart.

But, say, if you needed to dig a 50 foot hole.... and you had a post hole drill attachment, and 40 foot of drill pipe..... And you decided to rent a 45' telehandler, and you dig out a 10 foot deep recess.... you could, in theory, then use the telehandler to drill down and lift up the soil each 3' at a time.

I might have seen that done, oh, six times at our place. Scary as heck with a 36"' bit in slick clay, but got the job done.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tater74
My own 50 foot well for irrigating a garden. I have 93 acres that we are building on. Other wells in the area are around 50 feet. We have a water supply company for domestic use. I hate to pay that rate for a big garden/orchard. I have watched some YouTube videos and I do have a tractor with a pto mounted post hole digger.

I saw one video that showed a guy using a 1/2 inch drill and sections of pipe to go that deep.

There is no rock.

Thanks

I'd be surprised if you get 50 feet without hitting hard stuff.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If no rocks, (hard to believe) we use to take 3 each 20 foot sections of pipe and make a tripod with a pulley on top. Weld up a couple of truck wheels so it sticks out past the wheel well. I think we used a 35 gallon drum.( It has been a while)

Cut a bunch of slots in a 10 ft section of 2"steel pipe. On one end heat and bend into a point and weld a good size chisel into it.. Thread and capped on the other end

Use a short section of pipe (about 6 ft long) that will fit over that 2" cap. Add some weight to that short section and an eye or loop at one end.

With a good stout rope, attach it to that eye, run up thru the pulley and down to the truck wheel long enough for 2-3 wraps and then maybe about 10 ft extra.

Have the truck 's back end jacked up , everything blocked for safety, and have that welded wheel on the drive wheel.

Put the truck in low gear. Pulling on the rope will raise that weighted short section of pipe (don't raise it enough to come off the two inch pipe)

Give the rope some slack and let the that bigger pipe down fast to drive the 2" pipe down. Repeat and add ten ft sections of pipe until you get your depth.

You can rent a big compressor and blow out the debris at the bottom .

Hook up a jet pump and you are ready to go, I forget if we put a 1" pipe down as sucker pipe.

Years ago I saw some advertisements of a device that used your garden hose to dig a well,but have not seen one for awhile

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know it's totally different terrain so I should not laugh hard but damn I'm laughing really hard....

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
tater74 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ldholton
I know it's totally different terrain so I should not laugh hard but damn I'm laughing really hard....

Your contribution is appreciated.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been tempted to try the DIY water well drilling my place.

Water is close to the surface. There’s a artesian vein that runs through the area.

Several wells on the side of the road.

The biggest well had folks lined up after Katrina to get water, that was before the water association learned to have generators at all the wells.

I’ve a slow seeping spring head on the back corner of my place. It’s sandy. Too sandy to build a pond.

Just afraid i get it flowing, and can’t get it stopped. 😬😬😬

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want a well to last, shouldn't you gravel pack and grout the casing? Or with shallow wells, do you just punch another one when they slow down? Four wells on the farm, from 130 feet to 250 feet, all drilled by professionals......can't reach much by hand in prairie country.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.