Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18512073 06/17/23
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Well I finally got it done!
Went into the hospital on Thursday morning and walked out that afternoon, Got in the truck and my darling bride drove me home! About a 45 minute ride.
I have been going for a walks and trying to prepare as best I could but to be honest Friday was a miserable day after the block wore off. Today has not been horrible and I have ditched the walker 50% of the time.
Went for a short walk yesterday then iced it for a couple of hours (that really helped).
Just got back from another walk this afternoon and it was easier than yesterday!
Start PT on Monday for 3 days a week for 4 weeks so I know Im going to be calling for some more pain pills later.
For now Im using a pain pill and then Naproxon. Seems to be doing the trick.
Looking forward to walking without the pain of bone on bone after all these years.
Happy Fathers Day to the residents of the fire.
X-Triangle

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great news. Please keep us posted on your recovery.

Was going to have a bilateral TKR last year but broke my back instead so put it off as too much unpaid time off (10 weeks).

You are giving me hope that I can get it done and be back to work in a reasonable time.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes great news indeed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Was going to have a bilateral TKR last year but broke my back instead so put it off as too much unpaid time off (10 weeks).

You are giving me hope that I can get it done and be back to work in a reasonable time.
Don’t get both knees done in the same surgery. Risk for a bad outcome is exponentially higher.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
X,

when you get to PT if they have you riding a bike..................ride it like you were a kid going to the ball field, or your girlfriend's house. If they say 10 minutes at first, ask to do 11. When they up you to 15, ask to do 17 minutes.

Same with any other exercises. They want 10 reps, ask if you can try 11.

DON"T , and that's capitalized for a good reason, slack off on the PT. According to a coworker, you do not want to go back in so the Doc can break up the scar tissue from not doing the PT as he did.

Good luck with it, I can't say mine is good as new, but it's one hell of a lot better than when it was worn out.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ironbender

Don’t get both knees done in the same surgery. Risk for a bad outcome is exponentially higher.

Upon what do you base this statement.

I’ve been a PT for 29 years and rehab’s more TKR’s than I care to remember. While Orthopedists don’t do doubles on many none of the bilateral TKR’s that I’ve treated ever came out badly.

X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement.
Before the operation I went to the PT place where I was rehabbed for a hip replacement.
Got everything scheduled plus told them that when the prescribed/recommended work was over if insurance
would not pay for additional 2 weeks I would foot the bill out of pocket.
Lucky for me I dont need to do the other knee as it is in good shape but it would be REALLY miserable
to attempt both at the same time.
Everyone is different but I am up and walking without a walker today and havent used any prescription
meds in 24 hours just over the counter Naproxen.
Its a very strange sensation to take a step expecting pain where it was all bone on bone and just have
muscle and tendon soreness.
Again Happy Fathers Day all,
X

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Xtriangle: Good for you getting that corrective surgery done.
I hope your TKR turns out as well as mine did.
I had my TKR done 3+ years ago and I am sure I went to "physical therapy" for 12 weeks 3 times a week.
For me that PT was hard to endure at first but the results were/are life improving.
All the old pains, discomforts, interrupted sleeps and limitations are gone for me - and I hope for you.
Amazing what modern medicine can do!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by IZH27

I’ve been a PT for 29 years and rehab’s more TKR’s than I care to remember. While Orthopedists don’t do doubles on many none of the bilateral TKR’s that I’ve treated ever came out badly.
I’ve been told that by two orthodopedic surgeons and a PA.

There is risk in every sx as you’re aware. It’s just higher in a double, from longer anesthesia, more time on the table, longer open incision, etc. Of course that doesn’t mean it happens frequently.

I’ve had two TKAs and my surgeon wouldn’t do them closer than 3 months. I was not a high risk Pt either.

Would a bad outcome double TKA be seen by PT or strictly treated by med/surg?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No, is not. It's higher, but nowhere near exponentially higher.

Semantics 😁

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Kudos on the replacement and recovery. Mine was bi-lateral. Had a surgeon and team on each side. They dropped the flag and hard part was over quickly. Got me out of there after 48 hrs. PT is exactly what you make it. You really have to grind. My life is much better after wo 24/7 pain.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
X
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
X
Well today was as expected.
Took my little pill about 45 minutes before work out with the PT...........sure glad I did
She measured range of motion after riding me riding the bike and was pleasantly suprised said I was doing something right.
Hit the jackpot for my therapist good looking and is willing to push me.
Quite a bit of swelling afterwards but got ice on it quick and it has not been horrible.
Will be sore tomorrow but i am already thinking "why did I wait so long".
More as I progress.
X

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
X .......... celent Mr X

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27

I’ve been told that by two orthodopedic surgeons and a PA.

There is risk in every sx as you’re aware. It’s just higher in a double, from longer anesthesia, more time on the table, longer open incision, etc. Of course that doesn’t mean it happens frequently.

I’ve had two TKAs and my surgeon wouldn’t do them closer than 3 months. I was not a high risk Pt either.

Would a bad outcome double TKA be seen by PT or strictly treated by med/surg?

Thanks for clarifying. The way I read the first comment was that it implied poor outcome for the knees.

Some years ago three months was the standard between. I just works with a lady who had a five week gap between surgeries.

The evolution of surgical care during my career is interesting to look back on. Same day outpatient surgery for a TKR. I wouldn’t have imagined that in 1994.

Xtriangle. Good luck with your rehab. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm at 11 weeks from mine. The first day was all "Look at me, I can still skydive! Oh look, me riding motorcross, no hands!"

Then reality set in.

LOL
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Done two weeks ago, no walker, or cain, maybe at 50% right now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"The older I get, the better I was"
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by jbmi

What am I looking at? I don't know what a TKR is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
X,

when you get to PT if they have you riding a bike..................ride it like you were a kid going to the ball field, or your girlfriend's house. If they say 10 minutes at first, ask to do 11. When they up you to 15, ask to do 17 minutes.

Same with any other exercises. They want 10 reps, ask if you can try 11.

DON"T , and that's capitalized for a good reason, slack off on the PT. According to a coworker, you do not want to go back in so the Doc can break up the scar tissue from not doing the PT as he did.

Good luck with it, I can't say mine is good as new, but it's one hell of a lot better than when it was worn out.

NU-STEP.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WTH is Nu-Step Dirt?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by jbmi

What am I looking at? I don't know what a TKR is.
You're looking at the dude's knee laid open so they could replace it with parts from Napa or Checker.

In it is contentment

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,164
Posts18,523,511
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.