Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
There’s a thread on Hunter’s Campfire forum “Ariz Man killed by Bear”. Sort of a discussion within the discussion is about whether black bear attacks are primarily predatory, that is to eat you, vs primarily to move you out of their area and bite you some while at it. And the flip side being the same question about griz/brown. I’d say most commentators are in no danger of having sufficient data points in their lifetime to make those determinations one way or another. But that never stops expert opinion on the Fire.

That’s where your respected opinion comes in. I’m sure it will be appreciated by most here. Thanks

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Too bad JJHack 'aint around to comment on BB...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shootem;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was kind to you and this finds you well.

I'm cognizant I'm not Phil and don't mean to do anything here other than recommend a few books on the subject if you or anyone is inclined that way.

With apologies as I've recommended these books previously so will be repeating myself, here's some "light" reading by James Gary Shelton who has passed on now but during his life was considered the preeminent bear attack expert here in BC.

He also developed and taught a bear survival course which became mandatory for some jobs here in forestry and geology.

Here's the first one - The Bear Encounter Survival Guide.

https://www.abebooks.com/9780969809906/Bear-Encounter-Survival-Guide-Shelton-0969809905/plp

The second is - Bear Attacks - the Deadly Truth

https://www.abebooks.com/9780969809913/Bear-Attacks-Deadly-Truth-James-0969809913/plp

The last one he wrote was Bear Attacks 2 - Myth and Reality

https://www.abebooks.com/9780969809920/Bear-Attacks-2-Myth-Reality-0969809921/plp

There is also a bear attack book by Steven Herero which I've read. He was a prof at the University of Alberta I want to say?

As a layman who has zero accreditation in any studies pertaining to bears, I'd say my personal nod goes to the late Mr. Shelton's books, but that's just one little old guy's opinion right?

Oh, I'm a wee bit anti-Amazon so that's why the links are from Abe Books. I've had perfect dealings with them over the years and the books even made it up across the medicine line in a timely manner and in the condition described.

Hope that's useful to someone out there.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 06/17/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks Dwayne, ordered all three.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given the amount of experiences some here think is necessary to draw any
even rudimentary conclusion, no one could possibly be qualified.

Who has been attacked by numerous Black, and Grizzely Bears.
Unprovoked.

And any conclusion would still be largely academic.

Because just like human encounters, every bear encounter is an example of one.
A person, a bear, today, right now!

Doesn't matter what brand of creature one interacts with, you should read it ASAP.
DGAF if it's a house cat, cow, bear or human.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been near numerous black bears, but have never had a moment's grief with them. Feral dogs are another story...

But I digress. All the bear I've been near, once becoming aware of me, wanted to retreat, cubs or not. The ones that were unaware of me continued with their endless search for food, and unless hunting them, I left them alone. I've never had one shadow or circle me, which I understand is something to be aware of.

I read years ago, I forget the author, that generally a Black Bear attack is predatory in nature. They do not attack like a Grizzly would if one gets too close to cubs or too near a den.

I say generally because sometimes a particular bear may not have gotten the memo, and I am NOT going to press my luck on an article written years ago. I give them their space and don't interfere with cubs or dens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is pretty easy to skim for info on fatal bear attacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anteloper;
Good evening to you sir, Happy Father's Day if that applies, regardless I still hope the day went well.

You're most welcome on the reading list for sure.

As mentioned I've used Abe Books for years and usually I'm looking for out of print stuff so buy mostly used books from them. So far they've been 100% describing condition.

Paul mentioned stats with fatal bear attacks and for sure they tell part of the problem bear story, but not necessarily all of it or that's my thoughts.

Here in BC we've got a very liberal bear season with a 2 bear a year limit, so sometimes bears that otherwise might end up making the news just make it into the freezer.

One of the two bears that didn't run away like good bears should when asked is resting comfortably in our freezer now in fact, slowly being turned into cat food stew as it was a garbage eater and didn't smell quite right. He wandered through the wrong yard on the very last day of bear season last spring and that as they say, turned into that.

He was a sub adult male which according to the Shelton books are the most likely to commit an offense against us.

Both grizzlies and black bears can be predatory though for sure. We've had them chasing mulies through the yard and a local mule deer mortality study has shown black bears kill more mulie fawns than wolves, coyotes or cougars. That surprised me somehow, but that's a current study so fresh data.

Anyways I hope you enjoy the books.

All the best in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect--based on knowing Phil pretty well--that he's grown weary of the typical Campfire BS.

Which includes one member who claimed the 9-foot brown bear Phil killed with his 9mm as it was charging Phil and his fishing client was a "juvenile" bear....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect--based on knowing Phil pretty well--that he's grown weary of the typical Campfire BS.

Which includes one member who claimed the 9-foot brown bear Phil killed with his 9mm as it was charging Phil and his fishing client was a "juvenile" bear....

Idiots abound everywhere. Phil says it was a 900 pound bear then it was at least a 900 pound bear

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

Idiots abound everywhere. Phil says it was a 900 pound bear then it was at least a 900 pound bear

He’s not one to tolerate fools or facsimiles. Reason I titled this thread to him is because if anyone on the Fire can give real life based opinions on bear it would be him. Mule Deer do you have any idea how many bear he and his family of guides have accounted for? If all the hides were stretched how many football fields would they cover? I admire the man. From his short bits now and then about his jungle adventures in SE Asia and stories comparing such chamberings as the 458 Win to the .500 Gibbs as reacted to by shot browns. How many of you know anyone with enough backup kills on browns to build a reliable data log of cartridge efficacy ? And yeah, if he says the 9mm example was a 9 footer I’d tend to believe him.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

And yet continue to mock the loss of the "good guys". A different place no doubt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There seems to be enough experts on here with opinions gleaned from reading numerous stories written by experts that adding mine would be superfluous.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, your input would be quite welcome.

I can only go by my (limited) experience and correlate it to what I've read. Sometimes it don't compute.

You're an expert on the subject with much, much more practical experience than I have. I am much more interested in the real world info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My experience with black bears are that they are a lot easier to intimidate. When our kids were small we had a very remote camp on the Black River, above the Arctic circle and a mile from the Yukon border. Black bears were a constant nuisance and used to sit just inside the timber watching our two children play. Occasionally they would openly threaten us but standing your ground, sometimes threatening them by aggressively walking toward them while maintaining eye contact, always worked. And when the turned to flee an ounce of 7 1/2 bird shot in their rear helped them remember.
One morning my wife and I were sleeping in a small tent at Llaird river hot springs and heard a bear outside. I got up and went out. It was acting aggressive with head low, ears down and circling toward me. I had my M70 .375 and a wrist rocket with a handful of glass marbles so decided to shoot him with that. He was only 5-7 yards away and when I hit him you could tell he was pissed but I took another step toward him and hit him again.
This time he slowly backed off into the timber but continued glaring at me.

Less than a week later we heard a camper at that campground had been killed and partially eaten by a black bear.

I have had numerous similar encounters over the past 44 years with Brown bears as well and while they tend to be a bit more social and less threatening, a few have acted predatory like that black bear , but by maintaining eye contact and standing my ground and slowly backing away I have only been forced to kill one bear not previously wounded by a client.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 458Win
My experience with black bears are that they are a lot easier to intimidate. When our kids were small we had a very remote camp on the Black River, above the Arctic circle and a mile from the Yukon border. Black bears were a constant nuisance and used to sit just inside the timber watching our two children play. Occasionally they would openly threaten us but standing your ground, sometimes threatening them by aggressively walking toward them while maintaining eye contact, always worked. And when the turned to flee an ounce of 7 1/2 bird shot in their rear helped them remember.
One morning my wife and I were sleeping in a small tent at Llaird river hot springs and heard a bear outside. I got up and went out. It was acting aggressive with head low, ears down and circling toward me. I had my M70 .375 and a wrist rocket with a handful of glass marbles so decided to shoot him with that. He was only 5-7 yards away and when I hit him you could tell he was pissed but I took another step toward him and hit him again.

Less than a week later we heard a camper at that campground had been killed and partially eaten by a black bear.

I have had numerous similar encounters over the past 44 years with Brown bears as well and while they tend to be a bit more social and less threatening, a few have acted predatory like that black bear , but by maintaining eye contact and standing my ground and slowly backing away I have only been forced to kill one bear not previously wounded by a client.

I’m not the OP but thank you for sharing - your experiences are truly appreciated by more than you know (as well as the other contributors to the forum - with real world experience)…..I hope you and the others continue to contribute when you can and can also ignore the BS that often surfaces (not all of the time but more often than it should).

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 06/19/23.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm with PennDog, you are among a few elite resources we are fortunate to have here and I always enjoy your input. Thank you.

Sig

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win

Thanks for ringing in Phil. I can't imagine staring down a Brown Bear.

That Liard attack was in August of 1997. I remember it well because it occurred not too long after I had visited the springs and had seen a MASSIVE black bear right outside the park entrance.

This is a very good read on that attack. https://www.readersdigest.ca/culture/rogue-bear-rampage/

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Indeed appreciated!

I don’t always express appreciation for responses that are great because I don’t think it adds anything substantial to the thread but I believe most feel that way so the weight of negative nonsense takes on an unrealistic appearance of being the majority.

At my age I am getting to the point where handling an aggressive coyote might prove fatal so the bear stuff is getting somewhat academic but I can’t help being interested.

Very glad you’re still here Phil!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've guided for black bear for close to 50 years also have a home were bears walk in my back yard I've had one bear encounter that turned deadly.....
Always carry a 44 mag or 45 Colt its like always wearing a hat....one day went to town to get supplies but had a Kimber 45 ACP on my hip sort of like more fire power if I need to deal with a 2 legged predator....well got home a little late and in my rush leaving never changed my pistol from the Kimber to one of my S&W's....
Went to the bait was emptying the buckets in the barrel when a smaller bear came in it never stopped just came running towards me ears back I yelled at it drew the Kimber by that time it was a couple feet away I shot two times the bear stopped dead at my feet....both shots were in the top of its skull just above its eyes....
Many times I seen bears at a bait site some would be seen walking away and just disappear even some would run away like their tail was on fire....never had a bear come running into a bait when it heard the bait barrel being filled....
The bear that was shot was a small 200 lb. male 3 years old and not a lot of fat on him for late- September but it was a slim year with little to no berries and little to no acorns....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (1minute, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2ndwind, 309coug, 32 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,022 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,895
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.