Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's raining in Florida.

Escambia County, which is located in the Florida Panhandle near the Alabama-Florida state line, was hit with several strong to severe storms earlier this week.

According to the video, the deputy reported several stranded motorists stuck in floodwaters along the freeway.

The video shows one vehicle with its hazard lights surrounded by water. The deputy later said he instructed the man to walk towards him, and he suddenly went beneath the water.

The deputy's body-worn camera shows what happens next: he walks into the water to look after the missing man and is pulled beneath the water himself. For nearly 30 seconds, the camera goes nearly black with only the sounds of muffled water – until he emerges on the other side.
The two quickly find each other, catch their breaths, and go over the shock and presumed amazement over what happened.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow that must have been scary.

I remembered the heavy flooding that washed out roads/parking lots/+ a huge amount of damage to Whiting Field Overpass construction project back in 2012.
I honestly couldn't remember the year - took a wild'ish guess and googled it and guessed right - 2012. Heavy rain from July 8-11 .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Most of Florida is set-up to drain off the water we receive from these massive rain storms. There are deep ditches and large culverts that only have water in them during major, typically hurricane related rains.

When I was a kid we had a big rain storm that had kept us in the house all morning. Once it stopped raining we headed out to goof off and play.
There was a large drainage ditch around 10ft deep a couple blocks from the house that had filled to it's brim during the storm.

Where the road crossed over there was double culverts that moved the water under the road. A big swirling vortex had formed at the edge of the road where the water was being forced into the culverts.
There was a short concrete wall along the road there that kept cars from running into the ditch.

That's where all the kids gathered, we were there watching the vortex spin and tossing sticks into it to see them get sucked down.

A six year old kid fell off the wall and got sucked down the vortex.
He wasn't as lucky as the deputy, he didn't pop out on the other side. They found his body in a lake that night a few blocks away.

As a result, to this day votex's around spillway and such give me the heebie-jeebies. Stay the fugk away from um.

[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Like a scene out of the movie IT.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Incredible!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wow!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man that would tighten you up in a hurry

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Holy schit

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lucky to be alive.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
very lucky there wasnt a grate on that drain, or they would have likely been pinned to it and drown...

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When we were kids we use to crawl through those storm drainage culverts when they were dry.

Most had obstructions jammed in them, some were so blocked off we couldn't get through.

The obstructions seemed to start with large tree branches then smaller debris would start piling up against them. I seen bicycles, discarded lawnmowers all kinds of crap wedged into those culverts.

Rare to see the county clean them out until the quit working completely.

Those two guys were dammed lucky that culvert was clear enough to pass through.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That deputy is wearing a uniform, boots, vest, gun, and belt with a radio, taser, and handcuffs that must have felt like it was trying to drag him to the center of the earth.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That sucks…

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Glad they survived!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
It's raining in Florida.

Escambia County, which is located in the Florida Panhandle near the Alabama-Florida state line, was hit with several strong to severe storms earlier this week.

According to the video, the deputy reported several stranded motorists stuck in floodwaters along the freeway.

The video shows one vehicle with its hazard lights surrounded by water. The deputy later said he instructed the man to walk towards him, and he suddenly went beneath the water.

The deputy's body-worn camera shows what happens next: he walks into the water to look after the missing man and is pulled beneath the water himself. For nearly 30 seconds, the camera goes nearly black with only the sounds of muffled water – until he emerges on the other side.
The two quickly find each other, catch their breaths, and go over the shock and presumed amazement over what happened.
Holy crap!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by g5m
Glad they survived!

They are too…….. 😳

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This happened a couple miles from us...it rained 17 inches that night. The sheriff's, emt's, firemen, and linemen are hero's before, during and after the storm.

Last edited by LeakyWaders; 06/19/23.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of getting sucked into deep dark scary holes...

This one takes first prize.

A scuba diver and South Florida native who says he's lucky to be alive is filing suit against Florida Power and Light. Christopher Le Cun said he was sucked into an intake pipe at the St. Lucie Nuclear Power Plant.

This has happened at least once before, in 1989. Both scuba divers have almost identical tales of roughly five minutes of terror that they were sure would cost them their lives.

On July 12, 2015, Le Cun says he was enjoying a day of boating and scuba diving with his family and friends off the coast of Hutchinson Island.

"We were going from rock pile to rock pile and we saw a yellow buoy," said Le Cun.

The buoy marks three massive submerged structures, so large their silhouettes can be seen from hundreds of feet above.

"Did you have any idea what they were?" NewsChannel 5's Jared Werksma asked. "No, no clue, it actually was amazing to see," said Robert Blake.

Best friends since high school, Blake and Christopher tied their boat to the buoy and dove in to check out what was beneath while their families stayed behind on the boat.

"Were there any warnings posted anywhere?" Werksma asked.

"Nowhere, there was no warnings whatsoever," said Le Cun.

Florida Power & Light disagrees. A spokesman said since the plant was built the buoy has always read "stay back 100 feet." But both Blake and Le Cun claim there was no indication of danger, written or otherwise, until it was too late.

"I swam right up to this big structure and it looks like a building underwater. I felt a little bit of current. All of a sudden it got a little quicker and I said, 'this ain't right, this ain't right,'" said Le Cun.

"He got sucked in like a wet noodle. He just, poof, gone," said Blake.

"What were you feeling at that point, I mean when you saw him get pulled in?" asked Werksma.

"Instant death. I saw my friend die," said Blake.

Blake surfaced in a panic, screaming to the people on the  boat that Chris was gone and that "something sucked him in." Chris' wife Brittany Le Cun says she thought Blake was joking until she saw the look on his face.

"All I remember doing was grabbing my son, holding him, crying and praying out loud," Brittany said.

"Did you think he was gone?" Werksma asked. "Yes," Brittany replied.

But deep beneath the surface Chris was holding on.

"I kind of felt like I got sucked over a waterfall and just instantly complete darkness. I was getting tumbled around and around. I'm trying to hold onto my mask and my regulator. I finally get ahold of my light and I'm trying to look around. As far as you can see, it's just black," Le Cun explained.

FPL says the pipe Christopher was in is 16 feet across, about a quarter-mile long, sucks in around 500,000 gallons of water per minute and is used to cool the plant's nuclear reactors.

"It's about a 4-1/2 to 5 minute ride. You get to do a lot of thinking," said Le Cun.

"I knew something was drawing all this water. All I could think about was these horror movies you know, this big turbine coming and I'm coming for it. You know, it's going to chop me up and kill me," Le Cun said with tears in his eyes.

"I contemplated, you know, do I just pull the regulator out of my mouth and just die? I started thinking about my family, you know, how are they going to survive without me?" Le Cun said.

Finally, Christopher says he saw the first indication that his long, dark journey was about to end one way or another.

"All of a sudden it looks like a match, out in the distance, just the littlest bit of what you've ever seen. When it gets a little bigger, then a little bigger. Then all of a sudden just, poof, daylight. Fish everywhere, crystal-clear water the sun is shining and I'm like, 'is this heaven?'" Le Cun exclaimed as if he was reliving it as we spoke.

He was still on Earth and counting his blessings as he pulled himself out of one of the reservoirs at the nuclear plant and spotted an employee.

Le Cun recalls, "I'm yelling help, help and he says, 'how did you get in here?' And I said, 'I came through the pipe' and he says...'what?'"

Le Cun says he was tattered and bruised but he could only think of one thing, "I said need a phone, I gotta call my wife."

Brittany was on the phone trying to explain to a 911 dispatcher what had just happened to her husband. So when calls started coming in from an unfamiliar number, naturally she ignored it. Until the third time, Chris called.

"Something's just telling me to pick up the phone so I did," said Brittany.

"She picks up and she just goes 'hello' and I said 'I'm alive,'"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
several years ago I watched an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries" or maybe it was another show, but anyway a toddler disappeared and his parents called the police. People were searching the area and nothing. Police interegated the parents for hours thinking they had done something to the child. Detectives kept an eye on the household, thinking the parents were going to disappear. Second day of the ordeal, one detective walked the families property and they had an inground swimming pool. He looked down and the toddler was at the bottom of the pool sticking to the filter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.