Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18516208 06/19/23
R
rusty51 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a BRNO .22 it has a shcnable forend can anyone tell me what model it is..Thx.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Most likely it is a Model 1 or Model 2.

Need to see at least one picture though to be sure.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Overall pic (to see stock shape), and also the rear sight - #1's had a simple leaf sight and #2's had a tangent rear sight much like a scaled down military Mauser sight.

My #2:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I found a photo of a pair of #1s on the net - you can see the different rear sight that gnoahhh spoke of:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rusty51
I have a BRNO .22 it has a shcnable forend can anyone tell me what model it is..Thx.

It will be stamped on the top of the barrel, unless it is a TGF in which case it will be a Model 1

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Forgot to mention that #1 barrels had a boss with dovetail on the barrel which supported the rear sight. #2's sight is affixed with a barrel band.

BRNO experts: were sights the only difference? How many followed German/Czech tradition of only checkering the wrist and not the fore arm? (I see a checkered forearm in the above #1 pics, but it also kinda strikes me as being aftermarket too. Dunno.) Most, if not all, I remember seeing were without fore arm checkering.

Mine is a late #2, early 1970's, and doesn't have the silky smooth action that #1's had that I've experienced. Not bad per se, just a little rougher in comparison. It's trigger was slightly problematic too - very light and smooth but creeeeepy. A BasiX trigger fixed that. Now it's a rather nice and very consistent 2lbs. with crisp let-off. Truly was a drop-in proposition. It is very accurate - not caring much what brand of decent ammo it's fed, as long as it's standard velocity. It cares not a bit for hi vel stuff. Not "target grade accuracy" but 1/2" and less at 50 yards consistently is nothing to sneeze at either. Federal, CCI, cheap Eley, SK Standard, all behave nicely. For some dumb reason it really really likes SK Pistol Match the most - it's what it's sighted in with and what I've used for a never ending parade of groundhogs into the backyard/garden.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/20/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This will help you sort out the different parts.

Here

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread! How close is the CZ 455 to the original BRNO? I've never seen a true BRNO.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Interesting thread! How close is the CZ 455 to the original BRNO? I've never seen a true BRNO.

1958 Model 5.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JSTUART:
Good evening to you my friend - well it's evening here in southern BC - I hope your day or night is going according to plan.

That's a nice No 5 sir! cool

My understanding is that they were military training rifles for several middle eastern countries and most ended up sold surplus in Australia and New Zealand.

Somehow the one on the left ended up in BC and my good wife gave it to me as a birthday gift at least 30 years ago. It started life as a 1958 No. 5 as well.

[Linked Image]

Mine had a pretty beat up lighter colored beech stock with a little chunk cracked off the toe, so I built another one for it.

It's a shooter like most of them seem to be.

Thanks for sharing yours, as mentioned I don't see many - well any other - No 5s here.

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The tgf marked model 1 was the surplus/small arms range item, the Model 5 is a Model 1 barrel on a Model 2 action...and in my opinion is the pick of the lot.

Apparently the Czechs had a bunch of old Model 1 barrels and put them together with the better Model 2 action.

Regards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART

1958 Model 5.

[Linked Image]
Looks close. I'm betting the original BRNO has a bit more panache

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

1958 Model 5.

[Linked Image]
Looks close. I'm betting the original BRNO has a bit more panache

That is a 1958 Brno Model 5.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the pictures! Love my 455, but love classic rifles even more

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for the pictures! Love my 455, but love classic rifles even more

They are my achilles heel. There is no going around it, I particularly like the '55 to '65 Brno offerings as they have that something extra.

Or, it is what I pored over as a child

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here is something that may interest you, it is a Model 4 single shot magazine I picked up when my daughter first started shooting.

I had a couple but gave one and a hand full of early magazines to my brother to go with his 1958 Model 5...better for kids to start with.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My first BRNO was an early post-war #1, gifted to me by the Air Force bomber pilot who stayed on in Europe after hostilities (he had all his missions in but wanted to make it a career so wound up in Transport Command), who bought it new during that time period. I left myself get talked out of it long ago but always remembered that sweet smooth bolt. When I stumbled onto my current #2 I had visions of correcting that loss, but I gotta say I was mildly disappointed in the roughness of the action compared to my memory of what the #1 was like. Disappointment turned to acceptance which turned into fondness the more I used it. It now has the status of "keeper" which is a rare bird at Chez Gnoahhh!

JSTUART: I'm unclear as to BRNO's .22 presence in the U.S. Were they ever "officially" exported to here or did they all arrive via "backdoors" after the Czechs found themselves behind the Iron Curtain? I know they exported a lot to India and Australia where they continue to have a strong cult following, or so I'm told.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 06/21/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My first BRNO was an early post-war #1, gifted to me by the Air Force bomber pilot who stayed on in Europe after hostilities (he had all his missions in but wanted to make it a career so wound up in Transport Command), who bought it new during that time period. I left myself get talked out of it long ago but always remembered that sweet smooth bolt. When I stumbled onto my current #2 I had visions of correcting that loss, but I gotta say I was mildly disappointed in the roughness of the action compared to my memory of what the #1 was like. Disappointment turned to acceptance which turned into fondness the more I used it. It now has the status of "keeper" which is a rare bird at Chez Gnoahhh!

JSTUART: I'm unclear as to BRNO's .22 presence in the U.S. Were they ever "officially" exported to here or did they all arrive via "backdoors" after the Czechs found themselves behind the Iron Curtain? I know they exported a lot to India and Australia where they continue to have a strong cult following, or so I'm told.

So far as I understand it anything from the iron curtain came through Canada...remember how desirable the CZ75 9mm was.

The biggest market for Brno 22lr was Australia, to the point where they were not so much iconic as just everywhere, in the Southern states at least...rabbits.

I never thought much of the model 1 action, I just wasn't impressed with the trigger...the Model 2 trigger is much better.

The Model 1 & 5 foresights are larger internally than the Model 2 and lend themselves to having a 1/2" thread installed in front of the foresight.

One thing you do have to watch when buying Brno 22lr of any model is some of the bolt faces were cut a smidgeon high. Should you strike this the easy fix is to place a cut piece of paper under the bolt guide/ejector housing, this stops the empty jumping the ejector and getting stuck behind it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JSTUART;
Morning once more my cyber friend, thanks for the additional photos.

I'll have to get some better ones of the markings on mine, but they look identical to yours with the 58 on the barrel and the action.

On mine some previous owner had milled the grooves to take a standard rimfire 3/8" dovetail at some point in the past.

Another odd thing with mine is there is a ring on the inside of the barrel about 6" back of the muzzle but so help me it still will give either the Tikka T1X or the Ruger 10/22 with a Green Mountain Match barrel a hard run for most accurate that day.

Thanks again for sharing the photos and of the different magazines too as that's a new one on me.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks, JSTUART. Very informative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.