Print Thread
Hop To
P
PepeLp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Mr. Barsness articles are excellent as usual, but how do they print the "X-Bolt" article without a picture or description of the action? Everybody might not be familiar with the A-Bolt, I know I'm not.

I did notice, however that Stan Trzoniec finally managed to put in a picture of an entire rifle! WooHoo!! They printed it over 5 other pictures, but it's the entire rifle rather than extreme closeups of various rifle parts. Maybe they should have let him take a picture of the X-Bolt

It's all in the reflexes.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just got my issue yesterday.The article by John haviland made me want to puke.Ya think he might be pimpin for Cabelas????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
John may be a "standup guy" (someone else's words in another post) but he's a SLOB hunter. In my book, using a rifle on a live target that he had not previously shot to determine point of impact, at 300 yards, no less, ---resulting in two misses and a broken leg--- amply qualifies him for that title. The Cabela's pimping caused me to stop reading; it's pretty much self evident who paid for the hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cossack2
The Cabela's pimping caused me to stop reading; it's pretty much self evident who paid for the hunt.

Wal-Mart?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
P
PepeLp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
John may be a "standup guy" (someone else's words in another post) but he's a SLOB hunter. In my book, using a rifle on a live target that he had not previously shot to determine point of impact, at 300 yards, no less, ---resulting in two misses and a broken leg--- amply qualifies him for that title.

This is pretty much typical hunter behavior around here. I once heard a guy shoot 13 times. During last years muzzleloader elk hunt, I heard a deep boom, followed by 4 quick shots from a different rifle. Must have been one of those "improved" muzzleloaders.

It's all in the reflexes.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In regards to the January issue, I always enjoy reading Ron Spomer. I particularly appreciate his willingness to poke fun at those of us who shoot and hunt. We need to be able to see the humor in ourselves and what we do. I get a kick out his irrerverent treatment of many of the holy dogmas and icons of our sport. (Pehaps he will even at some point be brave enough to suggest that members of our deity might just possess feet of clay.) Given all of that, I do have to take exception with the math involved in his assertion that 100 Speer 150-grain .308 bullets costing $15.84 works out to being almost 1.6 cents each. Seems to me that it's more like almost 16 cents each. John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was not much troubled by the references to Cabela's gear but fully agree with your thoughts on shooting at live game without sighting the rifle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think it is unheard of to use somebody else's rifle to take a shot. It's happened many times in many hunting articles and books, only the stories always seem to end with better results than JH's. At least JH had the intestinal fortitude to tell the story the way it occurred because many writers could have erased the truth with their magic typewriters. It happened, it was not the best hunting decision and he freely admitted that on The Fire that he regretted it. The guys a good, knowledgable writer and obviously tells the truth. That's good enough for me.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
He wasn't "using somebody else's rifle" to take a shot. He was reviewing this gun as well as another one. In any case, he should have known where it was shooting to fire on a live target, esp at 300 yards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He wasn't "using somebody else's rifle" to take a shot. He was reviewing this gun as well as another one. In any case, he should have known where it was shooting to fire on a live target, esp at 300 yards.

cossack2,

In case you missed it, you might want to check out this thread Latest Rifle magazine article. John posts under the handle of "Elk".

These are his posts in that thread:

Originally Posted by Elk
I agree with DJPepper's comments and I should be raked over the coals and beat with a stick for shooting the rifle at game before shooting it on paper.

My only defense is the Winchester/Browning folks kept the rifles locked up and out of sight until we reached our hunting destination. Only when we were in camp did I have a chance to sight-in the X-Bolt .325 WSM. Darkness kept me from shooting the Model 70 .30-06. Others had a chance to shoot the Model 70 .30-06 and I was told it was sighted in. I mistakenly took that to mean the rifle was sighted in a couple inches high at 100 yards.

So I was wrong- and hang my head in shame.

Originally Posted by Elk
It is quite common on industry hunts to have rifles show up the night before a hunt begins and have no chance to shoot them before going hunting. You are suppose to take the word of some PR guy, who often has little interest in hunting or shooting, the scopes have been properly mounted, the rifles are sighted in (at some distance, although often only at 25 yards) and the rifles will shoot tigher than five inches at 100 yards.

On an antelope hunt in Texas this fall the Ruger folks gave me a Number 1 and said it was sighted in. I wanted to shoot it before going hunting, but everyone said there was no time. It must have been sighted in okay, because I killed me buck. Even after the hunt was over nobody would let me shoot the rifle on paper to see how well it grouped.

So before I write an article on the Ruger rifle I'm having them send me the same rifle and I'll put it through the paces here at home, then report on it. Sort of backward, but what the heck.

I think he explained the circumstances pretty well.

-Bob F.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
look, I have held my tongue for wuite a bit and I don't always agree with everything I read, but noone is holding a gun to your head and and making you read tha magazine - if you don't like it - DON'T READ IT!

I am a fan of the magazine but not of all the writers, Spomer in particular, but I think amongst a crowd of sorry gun-rags that are little more than catalogs (Re; ANYTHING by PRIMEMEDIA), Wolfe publications stand out and are generally ver good, and so I keep my subcrption.

If I feel that the quality of the magazines fall to an unacceptable level, then I will either dicontinue or, start using spellcheck (grin) and submit my own articles, and I do suggest that you try doing the same. I am betting it is easier to critisize that participate, a'la Ross Perot (but I digress)........

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like it or not, at least Mr. Haviland has the nuts to tell what happened.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 2,786 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.