Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Specifically for the all-around sportsman, the Mobile-Tensaw Delta has more to offer than any other region. Large portions of the delta are WMA with very diverse habitat. Saltwater isn't that far away.

I'm partial to the coast. I grew up on and in saltwater. Now I build and fix stuff so job security isn't a problem. A lot of "locals" here are migrating north though. It's getting crowded.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Given the heat, humidity, bugs, number of people.....................

I'd have to say somewhere Out West.
Yep. Because you folks out West in CA are killing it. LMAO
Uh huh.

No alligators, no water moccasins, no chiggers, no fire ants, no hurricanes, no copperheads, no humidity!!!! when it's hot. That might be the most important thing.

Politics suck though, but at least I can put in for an elk tag and not have to drive more than 50 -60 miles or so to get one.

Last edited by Valsdad; 06/19/23.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Cullman, Sylacauga and Talledega areas are close to large expanses of National Forest and large lakes. The cost of living in the areas is very good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve seen many of the dangers of the south mentioned here but not a damn word about deer flies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have some here in NorCal....................................

I'd bet fewer than in Alabama though. wink

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I live kinda close to AL so am partial to the areas near the FL north border, good folks, close enough but far enough away not to be too close. Lived on the beach for 40 years, that is a mess today, too much, too soon, with little to no prior planning, best to visit the coast now and then. But It was very good to me while I lived there.

If I needed to still make a living, I would still be in the middle of it all.
So where to live depends on need, all is available in Alabama.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MrWilson
Greenbow Alabama of course !

It’s AL-A-BAMA !!

😂

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by OldHat
For a sportsman.

Best ? and

Alabama in the same sentence ??

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Anywhere from Eufalla up to Talledega in the east over to Tuscaloosa and down below Montgomery to Greenville. Auburn area is good. Montgomery would be really good but too much politics and catering to blacks as is Birmingham.

Last edited by jimjr; 06/19/23.

jimjr
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Small game and deer.

If small game and deer are your interest, and you want public land to hunt, I’d stay away from South Alabama. The deer don’t rut until nearly February, they are small, and leases are expensive.

Much bigger deer up north, but in NE Alabama the terrain might be a limiting factor if you are not used to mountains.

If you have a decent budget, get over near Eufala, or Aliceville. Love on the water, join leases in 2 states, and close enough for weekend trips to the beach if desired.

IC B3

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I lived in Mobile for a year then moved to Baldwin county for 5 years (Eastern Shore). Bass Fishing on the Mobile Delta was good. It Fishes way bigger than it looks. I never tried for reds specs or flounder but would catch one every now and then throwing a crank bait.

Baldwin county has a good population of deer and small game. As Bama Rick said a good bit of the delta is WMA. Never hunted it but always saw plenty of deer and pigs.

You have to watch the wind and tides during winter. I had to call game and fish to come pick me up one time after I ran aground in Chuckfee Bay. Tide was up when I ran in, wind switched, tide went out. Stuck it. Was going to jump out and push it off and sunk up to my sack in mud. Learned my lesson. Had to leave it overnight and have a buddy help get it the next day.

The traffic stinks during the summer. The I 10 corridor is rough. Tourist going to Florida gulf shores and orange beach make the weekends miserable. I will say I do miss that area and wish I had explored it more while I was there. Lots of good ground for someone who loves the outdoors!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OUTSIDE?

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Most places in East Central to Northeast Alabama have a mix of lakes, creek, and some pretty steep and rocky terrain. Elevations max out at about 2100 feet in the Talladega national forest on Mount Cheaha. Fishing and hunting opportunities everywhere you go. Three hours to the coast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the spots I'm considering retiring to is the Gadsden area.

But its more about climate that sporting

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The famed black belt is full of ... Blacks.

No way I would live there. My brother is an ADA in Selma, but lives outside Birmingham. Knee Grows are having a great time shooting each other down there.

Look at east Alabama from Auburn and north along the Georgia line.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spent a lot of time around Lake Weiss as a kid.

Was a cool spot. Great fishing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cullman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jameister
OUTSIDE?

grin I moved to Eastern NC 30 years ago... I lasted 2 years before moving to the NC Mountains. Having 4 seasons suits my Yankee blood much better.

Please don't feed the trolls!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
One of the spots I'm considering retiring to is the Gadsden area.

But its more about climate that sporting
Great public shooting range just outside of Gadsden. Not much public hunting land there. Can’t eat the fish out of the chain lakes nearby, though Guntersville lake is not too far away. Personally, I would
Look
At somewhere like Madison, or elsewhere in North Alabama. That way you get a taste of winter, but nothing severe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Small game and deer.

If small game and deer are your interest, and you want public land to hunt, I’d stay away from South Alabama. The deer don’t rut until nearly February, they are small, and leases are expensive.

Much bigger deer up north, but in NE Alabama the terrain might be a limiting factor if you are not used to mountains.

If you have a decent budget, get over near Eufala, or Aliceville. Love on the water, join leases in 2 states, and close enough for weekend trips to the beach if desired.

Mountains?

In Alabama?

whistle

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.