Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I live in The free state of Winston in NW Alabama. We are about 98-99% white. If I were to move anywhere else in Alabama it would be near Huntsville.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went to a Ski "resort" in Alabama many years ago.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA

Probably Cloudmont in Mentone.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Is this a serious question 😳😂😂

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by OldHat
Small game and deer.

If small game and deer are your interest, and you want public land to hunt, I’d stay away from South Alabama. The deer don’t rut until nearly February, they are small, and leases are expensive.

Much bigger deer up north, but in NE Alabama the terrain might be a limiting factor if you are not used to mountains.

If you have a decent budget, get over near Eufala, or Aliceville. Love on the water, join leases in 2 states, and close enough for weekend trips to the beach if desired.

Mountains?

In Alabama?

whistle

Northern Alabama is one of the best kept secrets in America...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best place to live in Alabama?

Above it. grin

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Somewhere between Missoula and Bozeman.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have spent a great deal of time in the Mobile area. The wife and I have talked about that being a retirement possibility. Salt and freshwater fishing, hunting is OK. Dothan area is growing, but still 2+ hours from saltwater fishing and the 231 corridor SUCKS 4 months of the year. The Huntsville area has great freshwater, great hiking nearby and you are getting into an area that has some bigger deer.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ricky B Sharp lives in Dothan

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I always wanted to live somewhere out west with beautiful views of mountains, but Alabama isn't bad at all. I live in a very rural area. I own 32 acres and can shoot deer out my back door if I want. My stand is 50 yards from the house. I put 5 in the freezer last year and my Lab keeps the turkeys out of the back yard.

There's a 93K acre forest just 6 miles away that has produced some real trophy whitetail. I ride my MTB there a lot of times and often spend all day without seeing another soul on the roads. There are 2 lakes within 15 minuets of me. One has over 500 miles of shoreline and is 1000 feet deep in places. It typically produces stripers 10-30 lbs. The Tennessee river is 1.5 hours away.

We have basically no crime. None of my neighbors has ever had anything stolen from their home in 20 years. We are spread out with most out of sight from each other. Most own 20+ acres. We've had some drug related crime and some people killed because of it, some crazy people have killed family, and themselves, but there's never been an armed robbery of anyone here in my lifetime.

There's basically not much to do except hunt, fish or eat at fast food. Town is 8 miles away with 2 grocery stores and a Walmart plus every fast-food place that markets to the poor. There's one movie theatre that's been in business at least 60 years. If you want to do anything big city, it's a 2-hour drive one way.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Small game and deer.

If small game and deer are your interest, and you want public land to hunt, I’d stay away from South Alabama. The deer don’t rut until nearly February, they are small, and leases are expensive.

Much bigger deer up north, but in NE Alabama the terrain might be a limiting factor if you are not used to mountains.

If you have a decent budget, get over near Eufala, or Aliceville. Love on the water, join leases in 2 states, and close enough for weekend trips to the beach if desired.

Mountains?

In Alabama?

whistle

People know about Guntersville, housing prices aren't typical Alabama near the lake.

Last edited by KFWA; 06/20/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Given the heat, humidity, bugs, number of people.....................

I'd have to say somewhere Out West.
Yep. Because you folks out West in CA are killing it. LMAO

Despite the horrid political climate and the citiots, I agree Geno.

Some of us do kill it with the hunting and fishing here jackwagon.
Do you do better, maybe you do since you're "alwaysoutdoors".?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Small game and deer.

Mountains?

In Alabama?

whistle

People know about Guntersville, housing prices aren't typical Alabama near the lake.

In the last 20 years the lake population has gone crazy. I once fished a stretch of lake with no houses for miles. Now there's about 50. There are still some back water places to go without people but the days of being on the main lake all by myself are gone.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RHClark
I always wanted to live somewhere out west with beautiful views of mountains, but Alabama isn't bad at all. I live in a very rural area. I own 32 acres and can shoot deer out my back door if I want. My stand is 50 yards from the house. I put 5 in the freezer last year and my Lab keeps the turkeys out of the back yard.

There's a 93K acre forest just 6 miles away that has produced some real trophy whitetail. I ride my MTB there a lot of times and often spend all day without seeing another soul on the roads. There are 2 lakes within 15 minuets of me. One has over 500 miles of shoreline and is 1000 feet deep in places. It typically produces stripers 10-30 lbs. The Tennessee river is 1.5 hours away.

We have basically no crime. None of my neighbors has ever had anything stolen from their home in 20 years. We are spread out with most out of sight from each other. Most own 20+ acres. We've had some drug related crime and some people killed because of it, some crazy people have killed family, and themselves, but there's never been an armed robbery of anyone here in my lifetime.

There's basically not much to do except hunt, fish or eat at fast food. Town is 8 miles away with 2 grocery stores and a Walmart plus every fast-food place that markets to the poor. There's one movie theatre that's been in business at least 60 years. If you want to do anything big city, it's a 2-hour drive one way.
RHClark , man that sounds nice. What's the nearest town to you?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kenacp
Originally Posted by RHClark

RHClark , man that sounds nice. What's the nearest town to you?

I'm between Haleyville and Double Springs. This county succeeded from EVERYBODY during the Civil War and declared themselves a free state. The State Militia brutally hunted every able-bodied man. There's a book about it called Torries Of The Hills. It's all Hillbillies in the most classic sense. Lots of deep terrain, what we call hills and hollers. Lots of real back woods people too but most of them would do anything to help a stranger or bury any MFer that messed with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntsville (I live here) has gone crazy in the last few years. Traffic jam used to be 4 cars at a red light, now it is bumper to bumper for miles. They are building everywhere but can not keep up with the growth. Because of that, housing and land prices have skyrocketed. You would need to be at least 30 miles out of town to be out of it. Down I-65 toward Cullman or up I-65 to lower Tennessee. Border is just 15 miles or so from here. You will trade 3 months of terrible heat for 3 months of terrible cold up North. I prefer cold but grew up near here but it is a great place to live.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure of your age or health but a big consideration might be access to quality healthcare. I have a lease in Greenville AL. Great place for a deer lease
And I enjoy the four or so weeks I get to spend there every year. People are nice in general. Has a local hospital but they pretty much a facility that take you in and then figures out how to get you three hours away to Birmingham.

I am a saltwater fisherman and I enjoy being around places to eat and good healthcare so I would pick a place near the coast in Florida or Alabama where I could be a few hours drive from my hunting lease.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Not sure of your age or health but a big consideration might be access to quality healthcare. I have a lease in Greenville AL. Great place for a deer lease
And I enjoy the four or so weeks I get to spend there every year. People are nice in general. Has a local hospital but they pretty much a facility that take you in and then figures out how to get you three hours away to Birmingham.

I am a saltwater fisherman and I enjoy being around places to eat and good healthcare so I would pick a place near the coast in Florida or Alabama where I could be a few hours drive from my hunting lease.

Just north of me in Florence would be an awesome place with good healthcare, mostly white demographics and great hunting and fishing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wait…what??!?? confused

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Wait…what??!?? confused

I used to take my Scout troop to summer camp just down the road from Alabama's only ski resort.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.