-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have a CZ 550 Safari action that I’m going to order a barrel from Pac-Nor from soon. Sending the action to Pac-Nor to fit and chamber the barrel to it would be the easy button but I’m not sure that’s possible based on what I need to have done.

The barrel will need to be drilled and tapped for a rear iron and have a barrel band and front sight soldered in place.

I’d like everything nitrided but I might have it blued depending on the order in which everything needs to be done. If it’s blued could I have the barrel fit by PacNor and then have my local smith instal the the sights and barrel band and blue the whole barreled action?

If I have it nitrided. Would the barrel need to be installed and have the rear sight drilled and tapped first plus have the barrel band and front sight soldered in place first and then have the barrel removed for nitriding and then reinstalled?

Probably a long winded way of asking what order would be the most efficient way of having the work done and does it very depending on blueing or nitriding?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You didn't mention the stock, so I really do not know your intentions on the handle. I always get the metal work done, fit it to the stock, function check everything, and then take it all apart for the final finishing of the wood and metal. Some may disagree and have their own order. When I get everything finished and the gun re-assembled there are usually no surprises. I then have a finished functioning firearm.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks shooter.

It’s going in a finished custom wood stock that I bought used. It may need some small fitting but it should be very minor I’d think.

I bought the action for a good price by today’s prices from a well known smith that had already done some trigger work and installed a thee position safety. I stumbled into a nice stock from someone that wanted a synthetic. So rather than go the custom high dollar route and given what I already have I’d like to just buy a barrel and have a local smith do the sights, barrel band and blueing but wasn’t sure what order to do things in.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get all of your metal work done first and then do the finish work after you know everything works correctly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.