Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Or, read In Harms Way and the true story of the sinking and survivors of the USS Indianapolis.

You’ll never see that scene of Quint speaking about it with Chiefy and Hooper the same way again. I promise.

Genius improv on Shaw’s part.

The “real-story” is worse than than he has times slotted to describe.

“I’ll never wear a life jacket again….”

Damn straight.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It was so bad for those Mofo’s they were trying to commit suicide by intentional salt-water ingestion and/or self-inflicted drowning. Not to mention some just swimming to the sharks. Cocked on salt water.

Intentionally.

I can’t remember reading much nastier non-fiction stuff.

Stuff of nightmares.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Another fun fact about the movie:

The USS Indianapolis scene inspired a kid in school to locate every living member of that ship and coordinated their first ever reunion.

Abandon Ship! is a great read and it explains it all if anyone is interested.
I met Edgar Harrel around 2016 IIRC.
He was a Marine Guard Corporal on the Indianapolis.
Made a thread on hear about meeting him.
Went into Walmart seen a older guy wearing a USS Indianapolis hat.
I had to talk to him.
Were you on the Indianapolis sir.
Yes.
Talked back and forth with him for about 20 mins.
75 80 people in his group in the water 1st day when the ship went down.
By the time they got rescued by sea planes and some other ships their was 4 or 5 left in his group.

The old warrior gave me a Business card of the Indianapolis survivors group I can't remember what I did with it.
He also wrote a book too about it all IIRC.

He got his promotion to Sergeant honorably several years after I met him.
70 plus years later, basically a paper work foul up in ww2.
Was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal of honor also IIIRC several years after I spoke with him at walmart.
Died at the age of 96 summer of 2021 here in Clarksville at the Veterans Home.

RIP Marine.....

I'm out.....

Last edited by renegade50; 06/20/23. Reason: Had to ad a few things about SGT Harrel that I remembered or heard about after meeting him one day.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw it at a drive-in the night before I went to the ocean for the first time. I think I was 10 at the time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was 5. What was my dad thinking bringing me to that movie? I did not go into any water until 2 years later in 1977 and then only into a pool. I will not go into cold, dark water. Period. Won't swim in the ocean. Period. Good thinking, Pops...

The way life should be.
IC B2

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Several years ago I worked with a guy who fished a lot off a pier on the East Coast. He told me if you fished off a pier much, you would not swim in the Ocean.

Bob R

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I watched it as a kid when our parents used to drop us off at the theatre and pick us up after. Anyway it was the regency rocking chair theater and when that head popped out of that boat my flipping chair broke! Scared the ever loving crap out of me!

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Read the book.
I read the book after I saw the movie. Bass ackwards from usually reading the book first. With Stephen King, the book always outshines the film version, same with most of the Westerns I read in Jr High.
For Jaws though, I thought the film was better. Can’t say why, (maybe I should try reading it again) maybe it was watching Robert Shaw Act. I can’t think of anything where he wasn’t great, much like Tracy or Nicholson and a few others, these guys (and some ladies) could literally walk away with the show. They’re a pleasure to watch.
My dad younger brother Gue, and a couple of our friends went together to see it.
Someone dropped us off to pick us up afterwards.
When that head rolled out, Gue really flipped!
I think the same gang of us repeated the process for Jaws 2. We hung around together even after we all had cars. Girls and eventually marriage finally won out though.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was 8 or 9 when the movie came out. We were on a family trip to the beach in Destin and went to see the movie.

Haven't been in the water above my ankles since...

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We were swimming down the Kooyenay river once when my 10 year old daughter asked if there were sharks there; did we have to worry about Jaws? My brother told her no sharks but there were some sturgeon. We didn't have to worry about Jaws but she should be on the lookout for his cousin, Lips. GD

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Read the book.
I read the book after I saw the movie. Bass ackwards from usually reading the book first. With Stephen King, the book always outshines the film version, same with most of the Westerns I read in Jr High.
For Jaws though, I thought the film was better. Can’t say why, (maybe I should try reading it again) maybe it was watching Robert Shaw Act. I can’t think of anything where he wasn’t great, much like Tracy or Nicholson and a few others, these guys (and some ladies) could literally walk away with the show. They’re a pleasure to watch.
My dad younger brother Gue, and a couple of our friends went together to see it.
Someone dropped us off to pick us up afterwards.
When that head rolled out, Gue really flipped!
I think the same gang of us repeated the process for Jaws 2. We hung around together even after we all had cars. Girls and eventually marriage finally won out though.
7mm
I read 2001 A Space Odyssey before seeing the movie in the theater. I was the only one who understood what the hell was going on during the entire end sequence. Most who hadn't read the book first were lost at that point.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Viper225
Several years ago I worked with a guy who fished a lot off a pier on the East Coast. He told me if you fished off a pier much, you would not swim in the Ocean.

Bob R
Yes I’ve seen why

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Robert Shaw was an alcoholic and the characters were supposed to be drunk during the USS Indianapolis speech so he decided to have a few beers. Well a few turned into a lot and it ended with him hammered and that scene taking all night.

The next day he went up to Spielberg wanting to shoot it again because he knew he could do it better

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
When I was stationed in Hawaii my wife and i saw it in a theater. When the shark came out of the water while the Sheriff was pouring chum over the side, a gal a couple of rows down from us tossed her drink and popcorn in the air. Fortunately she missed us.

Some time later I was snorkeling on the North Shore near the mouth of Pupukea, also known as “Shark’s Cove”.😳 The water was probably 25-30’ deep next to a big coral head. I happened to look toward deeper water just as a big grouper swam across a light, sandy spot. Through the water that fish looked like it was six feet long and made the old ticker skip a beat.

I decided I should probably be swimming in a little shallower water. 😁

Last edited by navlav8r; 06/21/23.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My mother went into labor with me during that movie in the theater.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn that movie.

Used to go for a run on the beach, and then a swim, after sundown, when everybody was gone and it was quite and peaceful.

Now I swim with an M1 Rifle.

GR

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I thought the movie was better than the book. The movie sparked a fascination with sharks that I’ve had ever since. I have traveled to places for the sole purpose of seeing sharks in the wild. After the last weeks events, the submersible ride in Barbados was probably more dangerous than the sharks!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PJGunner
If anyone is interested, there is a movie titled, "12 Days of Terror" based on the actual shark attacks that were the inspiration for jaws. I believe it was made in Canada and while they included "human interest" the historical portion is pretty close to being correct. It's not the same quality as Jaws but tells a good story. Most of the actors are unknowns FWIW.
PJ

12 Days Of Terror

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.