Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18521045 06/21/23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
...at the folks house. 70 year old Carrier system, which is a 3-phase system with a chill tower outside. Very efficient system and much cheaper to run than a new modern system. Flat coil needs to be replaced and the Condenser Barrel needs to be replaced. Problem is that the coil is not available and Carrier no longer has the schematics. Found several companies that build flat coils, but they are all 8 weeks or more out.

Had several HVAC companies come by to give us a quote on a new system. Prices ranged from $19K on the low end to over $50K - I ran those price gougers off and cussed them out for trying to take advantage of my 80 year old Mother and my 83 year old Dad.

Picked up $800.00 of portable evaporative coolers for the house las' yessirday and they don't work worth a schit. Thinking of getting several window units and somehow running a hose to the shower to drain the condensation. Not sure what else to do.

Repairing the old Carrier will take too long and won't guarantee that something else critical won't break. A new replacement system will be very expensive and won't last more than 10-15 years, b/c new HVAC stuff is pretty much crap.

& right in the middle of a terrible heat wave. The humidity here is fuggin' terrible. We're screwed.

Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by High_Noon; 06/21/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Reckon you already know.

Bite the bullet and get a new one.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Window air would have the drain outside.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Window units drain outside.
Look into mini-splits, DIY and reasonable.
Readily available.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mini splits nowdays, the easiest and effective way to go!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That $19k on the low end isn't all that out of line considering they have to install a new type of system in an already built home.

Mini splits are getting popular around here.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
it's a fairly big house - 4,000 sq. ft. Not sure mini splits would work.

The existing 3-phase, Carrier system is 7 1/2 tons.

Thanks.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It’s Texas. You really don’t have a choice. Suck it up and pay it or install a couple of mini splits and keep a few rooms cool while you have the coil made for the old system.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s Texas. You really don’t have a choice. Suck it up and pay it or install a couple of mini splits and keep a few rooms cool while you have the coil made for the old system.

Yessir.

Just 'venting' I guess.

- Del Gue
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What are you getting for the $19000?

Obviously it would be condenser and evaporator system. Duct work etc. on a 4000 sf house would it be more than one condenser and evaporator? Gonna need something in the 7 ton range which would be 2/3.5 ton units if evenly split. Single story?

$19000 doesn’t seem unreasonable if EVERYTHING needs to be replaced. In fact I think it’s a pretty good price.

7 years ago replaced all duct work, new horizontal evaporate/ air handler( our old system was in a closet), new 5 ton condenser. Moved electrical box for unit to another outside wall. $6400. Of course this was a friend doing the work and I helped some.

American Standard.

Clyde

Last edited by BLG; 06/21/23.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The existing 3-phase, Carrier system is 7 1/2 tons.

$19k is a right price.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Get a good quiet window unit for their bedroom, while they wait.

For that size home, I’m surprised they’re not talking about replacing it with 2 (or more) separate units.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not advocating MrCool, but they are DIY and a couple of these will get you in the same cooling range as what is there currently. They are very efficient and reasonably simple to install. 2 of these will give you about the equiv. of 6 tons of cooling and some redundancy... The efficiency is very good on these units. If MrCool isn't ideal, there are a handful of fully DIY mini-split unit options. Most will require a vacuum pump, but the MrCool units and a couple of others don't require the lines to be pumped.

36000 BTU MrCool

Last edited by mtnman1; 06/21/23.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Do they live in the whole house?
Just do the largest mini,and have them camp in the west wing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Picked up $800.00 of portable evaporative coolers for the house las' yessirday and they don't work worth a schit.
If your humidity is high, they aren't worth anything. It's evaporation that makes them work and if it's damp, nothing evaporates. It just gets muggier. The lower the humidity, the better. With window units, keep the windows on the opposite side open so the air blows through. I haven't used a portable in 50 years but I don't recall them working very well. A swamper needs to pull air in from outside and blow it out the other side. Just setting in the room won't do much.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm sure I'll catch hell..... sell the 4k square foot house. Lotta house for a couple in their eighties.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellers. House won't be sold until Dad passes - won't be too long now.

The windows in the house are not conducive to window units. Split systems might work for a room or two, but for the cost of 2 of them, we're half-way to a new system.

The quote is for 2 American Standard 4 ton twinned gas furnaces w/ 160,000 BTUs (existing system has a boiler), 2 American Standard evaporator coils and one 7.5 ton Amer. Std. condenser. Includes building a platform for the the furnaces, 2 filter bases, a run of 100' 1.5" and 1/2" copper line sets, flu pipe, & 30 lbs of 410A. Has a 10 year parts warranty on furnaces and evaporator coils, 5 year compressor warranty and a 2 yr. labor warranty.

- Del Gue
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob
^^^^^^^^^^,its too hot to fo.^^^^^^^^^^^good luck^^^^^^^^^^ haul ass^^^^^^^^^^^^
It's really smokin out there today,till Oct!!!!

Rehab is for quitters!
THEY are all guilty!
Name one honest politician!
DEFINE Treason.
God bless the USA
Democrats ARE the plague!
RINO'S need to be hunted!
Who's a bigger puzzy than Paul Ryan? Mike Pence? John Kerry ?
REELECT NOBODY! Except Trump
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Don't rub it in, ya' bastage

- Del Gue
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Picked up $800.00 of portable evaporative coolers for the house las' yessirday and they don't work worth a schit.
If your humidity is high, they aren't worth anything. It's evaporation that makes them work and if it's damp, nothing evaporates. It just gets muggier. The lower the humidity, the better. With window units, keep the windows on the opposite side open so the air blows through. I haven't used a portable in 50 years but I don't recall them working very well. A swamper needs to pull air in from outside and blow it out the other side. Just setting in the room won't do much.

Bingo. Swamp coolers only work in places that don't really need AC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (1minute, 16penny, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,551
Posts18,510,366
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.