Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Another reason to like Sierras in general, is the fact that any particular model # of a bullet will have it being exactly the same whether it was made recently or 30 or more years ago. Try that with other manufacturers!

More than a few times after my supply of bullets was exhausted and I purchased the "same" bullet only to chase my tail trying to figure out why the gun stopped shooting. Called the manufacturer to hear oh yea we changed the bullet!!!!
That is interesting. I was not going to comment, as my experience with the 30 cal 165 gr Sierra HPBT is 40 years out of date.

I loaded them over 60 gr H4831 and a CCI 250. They performed for me identically with the Speer 165 gr Hot Core bt, and the Nosler 165 gr solid base. I used them pretty much interchangeably for several years, until Nosler introduced the ballistic tip.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by earlybrd
What’s the recovery like on the 243 versions as far as running after shot distance?
Example of 1, but I shot an average sized whitetail doe at about 15 yards with an 85 gr HPBT Sierra Gameking over a max load of IMR4350. She was DRT to a shot right behind the shoulder, but the bullet pretty much came apart. I don't recall finding much more than fragments.
👍

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the 150 grain GameKings in 308’s, slay deer and pigs just fine!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
120 hpbt 25-06 @ 3k+ allways works on antelope or deer with broadside lung shots but comes apart if you are a bone shooter..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
120 hpbt 25-06 @ 3k+ allways works on antelope or deer with broadside lung shots but comes apart if you are a bone shooter..mb
I had one of those grenade on a 10 yard frontal shot

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I liked the 90s in a 257 Robert's.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been using the .30 165 HPBT GK in my .308 and the 6.5 130 in my 6.5X55 for a few years now and have killed a few deer with them. Easy accuracy with both rifles and I have gotten the kind of terminal performance I want with them: behind the shoulder when a short run is okay gives little damage; high shoulder hit when DRT is desired and DRT is what I get. High shoulder shots at close range are kind of destructive, but I've never caught one either. Sierra gives a pretty good idea on their website as to the velocity ranges the different HPBT GK's are intended for.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've killed a few deer with the .308 165 HPBT version in my 06. All were shot behind the shoulder at 50 yards or less. All but one ran about 100 yards with a blood trail a blind man could follow. The one that didn't run was a high shoulder shot and he pretty much died in his tracks. They are very accurate.

The one that went straight down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

What do you get when you cross a polar bear with a seal? A polar bear.

Did you hear they arrested the devil? Yeah, they got him on possession.
www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
10 ga. It was a 700 bdl I had rebarreled to 7mm Wea. I loved that rifle, but gave it to a very good friend. He loves it for shooting long range whitetails.

I own a couple of 7 Wby's, one a Mk V, the other an Encore. There is nothing I cannot hunt with it and have.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is the bullet that made me switch to better constructed bullets for hunting. Quite awhile back I had taken a buck and a doe with a 308 win launching 165gr Sierra HPBT Gamekings. At the dinner table my mom prepared a fantastic looking venison roast and I was very much enjoying it until I bit down on a nice chunk of lead and copper. From then on I've taken most deer with other bullets, notably Barnes TTSX, except on one occasion where I used a 225gr Sierra 35 cal soft point bt gameking on a doe from a 35 Whelen. The soft points are good, but I don't use the HP except for varmints and paper

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am. I load the 30 cal 165s over a moderate dose of CFE-223 in a .308. It is by no means screaming, maybe 2650fps. It certainly is nothing sexy to look at, by all appearances having the aerodynamics of a school bus. But it hits like one also, and have never had a deer need more than one or live to talk about it later. It is a tough bullet, Sierra designed it specifically to be in that regard. I shot one of my best deer ever at 450 yards walking a treeline, I knew it wouldn’t get closer and I couldn’t close on it. Zero wind that morning, perfect shooting conditions Used the holdover point on an old Nikon Prostaff 5 with that funny multiple circle / line reticle on a Remington model 700 VTR with the funky 20” triangle barrel. Shoulder hit, high left exiting lower right. I would have sworn that path through the deer would have caught the bullet but nope, punched through and kept going. The trajectoy was interesting, had to be at least 15-20 degrees downward on what was a perfectly level shot me to him. I lobbed that one in there, guessing it was doing around 1700-1800 fps when it hit.

I have 6 rounds left from my original reloading batch, still shooting as accurate as the day I loaded them. I am scheduled to make another batch this summer, box box of bullets I found at a show a few years back being the old-school kind. Cardboard box with metal plates pressed on to make the box corners! No modern plastic box here! Its actually kinda fitting for the old war hourse bullet.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a friend back in the 80s that helped me solve a problem with a rifle I had at the time. He shot on the National Guard rifle team at Camp Perry and other places. His favorite deer load was made by pulling the FMJ match bullet out of 7.62 military match ammo and reseating the 165 gr hpbts in the brass. Worked very well for him....VERY well!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have shot numerous deer with the 85hpbt in my 6mm. Mostly smallish Texas deer. Always an exit except for one large hog my friend shot in the shoulder.
Typical deer runs after double lung shot. No different than my 270 with interlocks.
Easy as heck to load for. There is a reason they are still hard to find.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've used them for years. They are my go-to for my .25-06 and my .308 AR-10. The 120gr .257 were discontinued, but I bought up a supply when that happened so I'm set for a while. I like them in the AR-10 since there is no tip to be deformed as they get loaded. I find them to be very accurate, if a little soft. As long as I keep the shot behind the shoulder they work great.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve not had any problem with the hp closing up. They’re a good accurate bullet. Only problem I’ve had (if it’s a problem) is when they do hit a bone they can raise hell with things. But not any more than the two polymer tipped bullets I’ve tried. The 165 is still my go-to for the ‘06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Have shot a few with the 30 cal flavor big exits on bone impacts.Reload for the fil in the 270 with 140s his reports are impressive been wondering about the 85s in the 243 Sonofmine shoots
For me they are too tough out of a 243/6mm.

85 grain SPT Sierra Varminter is a good bit softer.

I am a soft bullet fan on deer though.

Another damn fine deer bullet from a 243 is the 100 grain SBT Gameking. Doubt you have many if any leave tracks from where they are shot.

This has been my experience with the 6mm Sierra's as well only in this caliber I went 100 grain Pro hunter. No complaints and easy to find loads that produce tight groups but if nit picking would love to find something in the dead middle between the 85hpbt and 100 PH. I began working a load for the 90 grain Speer Hot Cores but they have proved harder to perfect. Just ordered some 95 grain Berger Classic Hunters but of course now reading they are explosive.....Might have to go back to 100 grain Pro hunters as they can now be found again.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DonFischer
J.J. Hack had concerns about that with monolithic bullet's in Africa, plastic tip solved the problem.

I miss JJHACK. He used to live about 30 miles from me and I got to shoot with him a couple of times.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by shortfinger
I've used them for years. They are my go-to for my .25-06 and my .308 AR-10. The 120gr .257 were discontinued, but I bought up a supply when that happened so I'm set for a while. I like them in the AR-10 since there is no tip to be deformed as they get loaded. I find them to be very accurate, if a little soft. As long as I keep the shot behind the shoulder they work great.

My story pretty much. I have used both the Hornady 120gr HP and the Sierra 120gr hpbt in my 25-06 forever. Both have since been discontinued, but when I found out I bought every box I found. I'm on my last box of Hornady and have four or five left of the Sierra's. They've been fantastic up to cow elk.

I used the 165 in .308w and .30-06 quite a bit as well.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
no failures on my end ever using them.

I've migrated elsewhere based on Sierra's pricing, not on the quality of their bullets to do the job intended for.

use to use them a lot more often.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Dangle a pic of a Critter YOU killed,with said projectiles. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.