Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Good friend of mine bought a Mod 94 Crazy Horse chambered in 38-55 win years ago with several boxes of ammo. Hung it on his wall. His kids stopped by a few days ago decided it would be fun to shoot. Ended up they enjoyed shooting up all his supply. He recently tried to buy some more and about had a heart attack seeing the price increase. He knows that I reload but have I never reloaded that caliber. I bought a set of die’s. Noticed that brass lengths vary and are currently hard to find. Anybody have any suggestions on what length brass should be used, preferred bullets? In addition anyone have any supplies for sale?
Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used RL7 and Sierra 200 grain FP's. Pretty sure I just found a length and trimmed them all to a common length.

I never monkeyed with it too much as accuracy was great and it was a buddies rifle.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If this round isn't found in the newer reloading manuals it's certainly been covered in depth in the older versions. Maximum and trimmed length data should not have changed, and nows the time to get all cases trimmed to the same trim-to length.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
You'll have no trouble finding loading info. You can get bullets from Hawk if you don't find them from other sources and Starline does runs of brass.

Buffalo Bore Ammo does runs of 38-55 ammo and the owner wrote up a good info page on the 38-55 that is interesting reading. Link to it below.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=159

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Buy the Lee hand trimmer for 38-55.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Marlin Cowboy 38-55 I bought back around 1998 to 2000. Don't remember exactly now. I have two bullet molds . A 200gr plain base & a LBT custom 260gr GC style. My powder of choice has been IMR-4198 . Has been a reliable powder, + I have a good supply of it.

Last edited by Hesp; 06/26/23.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ilikguns
Good friend of mine bought a Mod 94 Crazy Horse chambered in 38-55 win years ago with several boxes of ammo. Hung it on his wall. His kids stopped by a few days ago decided it would be fun to shoot. Ended up they enjoyed shooting up all his supply. He recently tried to buy some more and about had a heart attack seeing the price increase. He knows that I reload but have I never reloaded that caliber. I bought a set of die’s. Noticed that brass lengths vary and are currently hard to find. Anybody have any suggestions on what length brass should be used, preferred bullets? In addition anyone have any supplies for sale?
Thanks

If you reload this caliber, note that there are 2 sizes of bullets offered. Some older guns and even a few more recent manufactured ones have a slightly larger bore diameter. Find out for sure what that rifle takes, and use the correct diameter or accuracy will suffer.

Last edited by reivertom; 07/07/23.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by ilikguns
Thanks

My .38-55 was a Marlin 336 Cowboy model with the 24" octagonal barrel.

My favorite bullet was the 220 grain Hornady but it's been out of production a while. The Sierra 200 seems light. The best option is probably a "Barnes Original" 255 grain. For powder, RL7 or IMR 3031. There seem to be a couple versions of the .38-55 plus there may be brass of an odd length for certain factory offerings which have crimp groove, etc at non-standard length to bring the finished cartridges to a normal length.

My gun wouldn't feed the RCBS cast bullets "normal" / in a single stroke of the action, I'd have to partially chamber, then back up a bit to unbind the lifter, then finish the stroke. Bullet cheek was just a bit too fat to work in that particular rifle.

I'd suggest getting ahold of a Speer or Hornady reloading manual and check case length, then buy brass that matches, otherwise you'll be short and need to reduce load or you'll be long and need to trim. Working with older stuff is not hard but you do have to pay attention, not just grab whatever is available, 'cause the combinations may not work together.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A lot to learn. Go over to MarlinOwners.com.There is a forum there for these cartridges/firearms. The different case lengths were 2.125 and 2.080 I believe. Nothing to do with trimming, but for different firearms. Same with bullets Ballard type and conventional. Mostly to do with ogive profile.

Newer firearms have the .375 bore, older ones will have a .380 or close to it.

https://www.marlinowners.com/search/224566/?q=38-55&o=relevance

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/08/23.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,815
Posts18,477,658
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.