Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm considering ordering this product to coat and provide protection for a shotgun "truck gun".

Does it work well in your experience? What do I need to know?

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/paint-metal-prep/paint-finishing/aluma-hyde-ii/

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It works but it's not as durable as Duracoat Jackass or Cerakote. Any way you look at it, preparation is key.

Medics bury their mistakes..
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
I painted a SS barrel that was too shiny for me with it a couple years ago on my elk rifle and it has held up really well. Very happy with it. Better than expected.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dinny said it best:

Preparation is the key.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a product that works best for prep?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used it on gunstocks (fiberglass) and it's held up very well.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AB2506

An acetone bath or denatured alcohol sprayed liberally after bead blasting and blowing it off with compressed air. Even then, it wouldn't hurt to preheat the metal a time or two with degreasings in between.

Medics bury their mistakes..
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dinny

An acetone bath or denatured alcohol sprayed liberally after bead blasting and blowing it off with compressed air. Even then, it wouldn't hurt to preheat the metal a time or two with degreasings in between.

It has to be bead blasted?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dinny

It has to be bead blasted?

Doesn't have to be. The blasting gives the surface a "tooth" for the coating to adhere to. As opposed to a slick surface.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good stuff, IMO. I've used it on several firearms as well as on stocks and it has held up well. I even put it on my rear hitch area on my F250 that was starting to form rust and bubble up the paint. I stripped it, cleaned it up, degreased it, and sprayed it on. It is still holding up after a decade or more of constant sun, snow, rain, exposure.

IC B3

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It would appear that Brownells cannot ship it across the border.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's flammable and might start a fire.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It would appear that Brownells cannot ship it across the border.

Duracoat for the win. I’ve used it and it’s good stuff. I used an air brush but they do have spray cans.

Plus they ship to Canada

https://www.duracoatfirearmfinishes.com/default.asp

CANADA Customers: DuraCoat can only be shipped via UPS. UPS only ships to physical addresses, no PO Boxes. Ground and Air shipping options are available to most areas. PLEASE NOTE: UPS will charge brokerage fees and duties on your shipment that will be due when you receive the package.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep

Glass bead blast

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If you want a matte surface on unfinished metal, by all means use glass beads but if you want a coating finish to adhere to metal, I would use aluminum oxide or garnet sand. You may not see the difference with the naked eye, but glass beading simply dulls down or "peans" the metal surface where sand actually roughs the surface up and creates small pit-type irregularites that enables a mechanical lock with the coating material when it cures.

As to fiberglass, kevlar, and carbon fiber epoxy-based composite stocks, I would never sand blast the exterior. Tape off all the interior areas, and with foam-backed, flexible sanding blocks very gently sand the existing finish with 80-100-120 grit paper. Allow the soft pads to follow the existing surface contour - in this instance hard-backed sanding blocks will create unwanted flats on curved areas. The point is to leave a slightly roughened surface, not something ultra-smooth. The course surface is best for epoxy-based cover coats to adhere to.

Never sand blast a stock. This can weaken or actually blast soft spots and holes in composite stock surfaces, especially those with hollow core, structual-foam interiors. Likewise, the use of acetone is not recommended as it will penetrate to subsurface, structural resin layers and can weaken fiberglass and polyester resins, as well as some epoxy variants. Instead, clean and degrease the surface with denatured/fuel alcohol or good quality lacquer thinner prior to the re-coat application. Never apply any kind of primer, paint, or other material between the final cleaning and the application of duracoat or cerakote finishes - if you do you're simplty defeating the purpose of the process.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 66 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.