Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like they have plenty. But it also looks like access is not great and more than limited. Not afraid to hike in a ways. If you've hunted it in October, what was your experience with walk in access?

Last edited by Coyote10; 06/22/23.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The state would be?

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Dang. My bad. Wyoming.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I went to college in Pocatello and had two hunting fishing buddies from Wyoming who grew up hunting NW of their hometown Cheyenne. I think this might be unit 6 ? I never hunted there but recall stories from the late 60’s about hunting antelope, Muleys and prairie dogs. From what I recall there weren’t a lot of roads that ran across that area due to terrain. That it wasn’t high but was broken country with deep gully’s and canyons and some seasonally wet draws. Some have very steep near vertical walls. They said the trick was to get up and walk the divides in order to cover ground but if the deer or elk are in the canyons it would be tough getting the meat out. Otherwise walk higher to the mountain benches where the ground was easier. The broken country is not horse friendly and even in the South where there are antelope the prairie dogs and badger holes can be dangerous. That’s all I know

Get a Rocky Mountain Sportted Fever shot. I’m serious being a Lyme disease victim.

Rick

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Do not do it unless you have private access already lined up.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Do not do it unless you have private access already lined up.

Kinda what I've gathered. I drew an antelope tag in 38 and have private to hunt on, but not for elk. I just want to have another tag in my pocket, but may just pack a fly rod. Some of the blm and state have roads running through them or along side them, but what it looks like on a map and on foot is obviously totally different.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I understand you desire for the extra tag.......but at even $300 for a Cow tag, I've decided to wait until next year for an Elk tag when I qualify for a resident tag. Already have an Antelope tag and Mule deer tag........

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
pm sent Coyote10

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It is open country hunting but rough and rocky in some parts. Lots of elk and very little access.
Some public has access via roads but walking in is how you hunt it and pack out what you shoot.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Keep your eyes open for wolves, shoot if seen. They are predators in this part of the state and have been in and taken in the areas you'll be hunting.

Good luck.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Was looking at some dates, and I won't be up there until the last week. I think elk will be in full swing up there and was thinking it may be late enough that a cow could be a possibility. I realize I'm gonna have to walk and work my azz off, but I'm used to that. I've looked that unit over the best I could and see some two tracks that have access. Somebody please convince me this isn't a waste of time and money for a cow.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Last week in Oct with deer season still open everything, elk included will be still moving around.
It is possible.
Some access on Cheyenne side I think too.
Just know with deer season still open you will have lots of company on any public accessible ground.
After Oct 31 you may have less pressure.
We're going to try and get 1 cow down in Sept. at least.

If we get a nice snow that week lots of pronghorn will move into the wintering area around here, they start moving to that ground usually in late Oct. That depends on snow though.
Some spots where elk cross from 7 into 6 also when the season gets going in 7.

It certainly is no gimme.
Where are you coming from?

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Oklahoma.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Again if you don't have private access I wouldn't suggest it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ah but the lure of a leftover elk tag.
It can be done but much easier with private access and even that doesn't guarantee you'll see an elk.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,107
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.