E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
223/12 I fugkin love some 24s
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool story ...I owned the 24's never had one where the barrels lined up shoot the rifle with sites then the shoot the shotgun.. ..same range but the spread was a good foot lower...sucked...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Cool story ...I owned the 24's never had one where the barrels lined up shoot the rifle with sites then the shoot the shotgun.. ..same range but the spread was a good foot lower...sucked...

On mine I would use the pyramid base of the front sight blade as the sight for use with slugs. Close enough to being at point of aim at 50 yards. Same thing with buck or shot at 25.

Had a lot of fun with that 24, kicking back with friends or family on a back porch, we’d put out an aluminum can at some improbable range, and casually hand the 24 back and forth in competition, one shot at a time, as the day progressed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I gave up on scoping the 223/12 I got it’s fugking useless scoped

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Great story!

I too own a 24 in 22/20.

It was my first gun, birthday gift from my parents.

It will leave my family after I’m long gone. And I
mean LONG gone.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks to you for your service to our Country.
And thanks for a very cool story.
Glad you made it home alive.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
navlav8r, my brother has the same combo in his

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the .222 REM 20ga combo… love it… great story. Glad you got it back.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Love the 24's. First bird I shot with a shotgun was a sparrow with my buddy's .22/410 when I was about 11 or 12. This would have been around 1960 and it was an old gun then. Then there was my grandmother's .22/.410 with a WWII Tenite stock, but wooden fore end. She used to keep it by the kitchen door and whenever she thought she heard prowlers outside she'd let fly with a couple loads of birdshot out across the horse pasture. Did I mention that my brothers, my cousins and I just absolutely worshipped Granny? One of my cousins got that gun, but I got her Iver Johnson top-break .32 revolver. Finally, my brother had a .22/20 gauge "Deluxe" as Birdy mentioned. I used it quite a bit as well. More than once I touched off a 3" 20 gauge expecting a .22...wake you right up it will. Of course, as kids, we wouldn't waste the potential of a 3" chamber with anything else. His shot slugs very well, right to the open sights at over 50 yards.

Love that story about the OP getting his gun back as well. I had one that was misappropriated when, young and foolish, I let someone I shouldn't have trusted borrow it. I did eventually get paid for it, more than I had in it, but I'd much rather have gotten the gun back.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Deluxe model with the press checkered walnut stock in .22 WMR/20 gauge. Only kept it a couple of years. The trigger was way too heavy for good rifle accuracy and with a scope on it the shotgun barrel was practically useless so off it went, just didn't suit what I wanted.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by KSMITH
I got married quite young in a small town in Pa. While I was in Desert Shield/Desert Storm, my young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house in my absence. I found out and cut off all of my money going to her. I also volunteered to stay for and extra 5 months clearing buildings in Kuwait so people could re-occupy them. I just really didn't want to come home and I really didn't want to see her her ever again. My OIC sat me down and explained to me that puzzy was no nothing to die over. I told him that it was not my intention, which was a lie.

By the time I got back state side, I spent the first week of my leave cruising around on my GSXR 750 in shorts, flip flops and a tank top. Was boozing it up pretty good too. About the 2nd week, I decided it was time to face the music and booked a plane home. I really just wanted my car, an 86 Cutlass Supreme that was just [bleep] awesome to me. Well, the car was just about all I had left. She either threw away or sold all my stuff, including my guns. One in particular I was quite fond of, a Savage 24 in .222/20ga. I used this up until I joined the Navy as my trapline gun. In Pa, there was nothing I couldn't kill with it while running my trapline aside from a bear and I had no interest in killing one of them anyways. I have spent many days looking for that gun for sale all over the place. For some reason, that combo seemed hard to find and when you did find it, it was around 1K.

I normally make a few treks to Pa yearly for some fishing, exploring and to visit my sisters family and stop by the local gun store in St Marys to make a donation. I was perusing the used racks and there was a 24 just like I had. I picked it up and noticed it had the same piece of schitt weaver 4x on it. I held it up to look through the scope and you had to jam your head way forward to get the full field of view. I put my scope way forward because the 20 ga 3" mags would pop you in the eye brow because the thing kicked like a mule. I started getting an electric buzzing going in my body and actually broke down in a sweat. I took it to the counter and asked the girl if she had a Phillips head screwdriver to take off the butt plate. She asked why and I told her I thought this was my gun from nearly 40 years ago and if it was, the receipt would be in the hole in the butt stock. I took off the butt plate and sure as schit, my receipt was in there untouched. I could not believe I had found the exact same gun after all the time. They were asking such a good price that I bought it and another 24 on the rack chambered in 22mag/20 gauge that was so old it had no serial number. I asked if they would make a deal on the two guns and they happily obliged.

I had the pleasure of shooting the old girl the day I got back to my hometown. Wow, the .222 really makes a crack out of that short barrel. I shot it 3 times and was quickly reminded how bad that 20 bucked. Brought back a lot of memories of shooting Grouse, fox, coons and deer on the trapline with it. Actually shot a fox that I "killed" in a trap and then came back to life while slung over my back on a power line. He was making pretty good time with that #2 and a stake on his paw but not good enough. He outranged me on the #6's(mostly because I was flipping around trying to shuck him off my back) but that .222 caught him in the back of the head at about 100 yds.

Fellas, sometimes schit works out, sometimes it don't. I am tempted to have my picture taken with that rifle and send it to my ex with some choice words but I haven't spoken to her in over 30 years and never will. I may have bought the same gun twice but it was my gun. I will probably tote it around and the new cabin and then pass it down to one of my boys so their son can tote it around at the cabin.

Great story! I love a happy ending... I had my grandpaw's .22 Steven's Favorite stolen in the 1980s, and I look at the serial number of every one I see to this day. I knew a guy that hunted in VA back when everything was in season at once and we could buy out-of-state tags that covered them all. He carried that same combo of scoped model 24 with ammo for every occasion. He had #4 bird shot for turkey, #6 for small game, slugs for deer and bear, and the best bullets he could for the .222 also for deer. He was a great deer and bear hunter and nearly always came back with at least a buck in the first day or so. They also always had game for dinner of some type.

Last edited by reivertom; 06/22/23.
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
One day I was running my trapline and it was rain and sleet. Just miserable late season weather but I still had some fox sets out. Had one fox step on my pan on a trail set twice but the trap was froze and wouldn't fire. Seemed like no amount of antifreeze would keep a trap working. I saw a small hemlock and decided to hunker down underneath for a bit to get out of the misery. As I stepped under the hemlock, 2 grouse took off above me. I look up through the center of that tree and it was filled with grouse. I cocked the hammer back on the 24, popped the selector down to the bottom barrel, didn't aim, just wanted the barrel to clear my head and pulled the trigger. The tree absolutely exploded with grouse jetting out of there. Two of them played pinball through the limbs and landed in front of me. I was pretty damned happy and didn't have to go home empty handed. Never did catch that fox on that trail set but you have to let some go for the next year.

Last edited by KSMITH; 06/22/23.

-Piss into the wind.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
PTL, what a Great and Wonderful Campfire story.

Thanks for posting that. The Lord works ......

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
One day I was running my trapline and it was rain and sleet. Just miserable late season weather but I still had some fox sets out. Had one fox step on my pan on a trail set twice but the trap was froze and wouldn't fire. Seemed like no amount of antifreeze would keep a trap working. I saw a small hemlock and decided to hunker down underneath for a bit to get out of the misery. As I stepped under the hemlock, 2 grouse took off above me. I look up through the center of that tree and it was filled with grouse. I cocked the hammer back on the 24, popped the selector down to the bottom barrel, didn't aim, just wanted the barrel to clear my head and pulled the trigger. The tree absolutely exploded with grouse jetting out of there. Two of them played pinball through the limbs and landed in front of me. I was pretty damned happy and didn't have to go home empty handed. Never did catch that fox on that trail set but you have to let some go for the next year.
👍👍👍

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s a great story about finding a long lost old friend.

I recall reading a story years ago about a son that searched high and low for the M1 Garand that his dad carried in WWII. After years of looking for that specific rifle, which his dad still knew the serial number to, he located it and bought it. He proudly presented it to his dad who couldn’t believe his eyes….

And another great story, Ace. Thanks

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Post a pic of the receipt and rifle.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Skeptic?

I wondered the same but figured the OP for a non picture posting boomer or such.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
K
KSMITH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K

Tried too many times to post a picture here since the change. Send me your number and I will send you a couple of pictures to post. Kind of curious if anyone has any info on the second rifle that doesn't have a serial number. It has the same fox and grouse scene on the receiver but it has a silver breach.

-Piss into the wind.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Tried too many times to post a picture here since the change. Send me your number and I will send you a couple of pictures to post. Kind of curious if anyone has any info on the second rifle that doesn't have a serial number. It has the same fox and grouse scene on the receiver but it has a silver breach.
DL model

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.