Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are those built off of a 110 action?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They're an import from Turkey and the first reports are very positive.

I don't need another rifle but they look to be well made and good shooters.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd be in for one but every place shows it as out of stock

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I'd be in for one but every place shows it as out of stock
I’ve seen a few websites with wood stocked .308’s and synthetic stock 6.5 CM, but nothing else.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting to see them introduce the 3.5 Creedmoor...grin...:

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/st...ck-3-lug-bolt-scope-mount#product_detail

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought someone said they were sold elsewhere under another brand, or their own.

What fresh Hell is this?
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Very interesting to see them introduce the 3.5 Creedmoor...grin...:

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/st...ck-3-lug-bolt-scope-mount#product_detail

It’s like that on just about every website I can find that has them in stock.

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I thought someone said they were sold elsewhere under another brand, or their own.
They are. From Turkey and sold in Europe and Australia I believe under the manufacturer’s name in Turkey.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
ATA Turqua I think.

IC B3

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hardluck
ATA Turqua I think.
You are correct!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aha! Appears they’re sold here under their own name as well:

https://fourpeaksimports.com/ata-turqua-laminate-gray/

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...action-rifle-65-creedmoor-24in/p/1791926

A review from Down under:

https://sportingshooter.com.au/rifles/review-ata-turqua-synthetic-hunting-rifle/

Not cheap, and not particularly light. Worth a look, like most stuff. I wonder if the Stevens is the same in all the details or if they made changes…..

Last edited by Pappy348; 06/24/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pappy,

The one at Sportsman’s you have linked above has the adjustable cheek piece on it, and yes quite a bit more in price. I’m willing to throw 4 bills at one and see how it handles. Worst case scenario, I sell it at a loss if I don’t like it.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
just picked one up in a 243 ...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
okay I just got home with this little 334. I bought this pretty much never even picked it up just said I'd take it because I've been curious about these anyway but this is my first impression right out of the box in the shop put together.
the magazine reminds me a lot of the early Tika 595s or the Savage model 25s three shot plastic, plastic trigger guard nothing fancy but I guess it functions. the safety is fairly unique it's a three position slide safety kind of sideways on the action doesn't seem bad just different. I had a bit of a hitch getting the bolt put in the gun but once it's put in it's smooth enough especially for the price point I would say it's as smooth as a good Ruger American maybe a little better. I've heard complaints on the Ruger Americans but I've never experienced a rough bolt on one. the finish is well above price point in my opinion this particular one's a 20-in barrel matte finish. wood is way nicer than you would think for a $500 gun. now the ugliest part the trigger advertised as a two-stage trigger. I call it a mushy piece of [bleep] till it breaks at 6 lb. it is some adjustable from the factory do not know how much or how well it will adjust. I've done trigger work for many years it will be pulling apart recut if necessary stoned polished and resprung and see what I can come up with... it's supposed to have a metal bedding block with embedded in the wood I have not taken it apart yet to confirm this..
would love to put up some pictures but I'm in an area that is very internet sensitive to signal and I can only able to do this once in a while. but pictures are readily available on the internet.
I'll try to get it scoped up and shoot it some in the next week or two and see how that goes. one note you might want to take is it is supposed to be at 10 twist barrel personally I wish it was a 9 or even 8 but it is what it is. personally I like shooting 70 grain ballistic tips in a 243. most of my 243 shooting is varmints and coyotes , 70 grand ballistic tips work pretty well on them.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
update on this trigger. this is considered a two-stage trigger and is some much more complex than other simplified triggers such as a Ruger American or Remington 700 or the Savage system..

now I sat down studied it changed out two springs and what resembles a more two-stage like feel and a pull weight of 3 lb 12 oz..
I can live with that for a cheap gun. I usually like 2 lb in my offhand guns 6 oz in my bench guns and my cold weather hunting guns two and a half to 3 lb. but I can live with this for now until I learn the trigger better and can probably do a better job of it. someone with better knowledge of the two stage systems could probably do better right off the back. I say this with respect to everyone if you are not mechanically minded nor detail-oriented and you have struggled with some simple trigger designs do not even attempt this one...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
one of the very few guns that I think the triggers getting better after use. probably getting the actually blueing process wore off of the internals
. I personally am not a fan of triggers working on the bare metal with codeine and such it does include the balloon process. this trigger has now been worked down from 6 lb of a mushy piece of [bleep] to a solid two-stage feeling piece of trigger down to three and a half pounds the spring kit put it down to around 4 lbs or slightly last 3 lbs 12 to 14 oz the more I use it the better it gets..

Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the write up and hope you enjoy the rifle. I find it funny Savage’s website says the .243 version has 1:9.25 twist, but every add I’ve seen online all have 1:10 twist listed.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hudge
Thanks for the write up and hope you enjoy the rifle. I find it funny Savage’s website says the .243 version has 1:9.25 twist, but every add I’ve seen online all have 1:10 twist listed.
I didn't even know that. I forget where I found the one in 10 twist list that I have not physically measured this yet maybe I should..

I sit around in the shop and dry fire just quite a bit last night and it's starting to come around not too bad a trigger the new springs are getting set and maybe polish it off the pieces within the movement system..

Last edited by ldholton; 08/14/23.
Hudge Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Hudge
I didn't even know that. I forget where I found the one in 10 twist list that I have not physically measured this yet maybe I should..

I sit around in the shop and dry fire just quite a bit last night and it's starting to come around not too bad a trigger the new springs are getting set and maybe polish it off the pieces within the movement system..

I found a review online last night by a gun writer here in AK on the Stevens 334. He got to try them out in January when Savage announced them and the he ordered one in .308. He said his version compared to the one he shot in January has a satin finished bit rather than a polished bolt and his finish is better on the gun. He said the trigger on both is just plain horrible though.

I have found some online and when I went to order, decided I wasn’t paying the high shipping costs. I’d be over by $25-$50 then I am waiting on one to show up locally. I want a new .243, but I’ve decided to wait for a 1:8 twist one.

Last edited by Hudge; 08/14/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.