Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a handguard ordered. I'm on the Apex site and see they have a milled floor plate for a large ring Mauser. They list it as 8.75" length. This is close to matching the length on my Mauser, BUT, there seems to be so many variations, I'm hesitant to purchase. Besides, If this isn't original then it's still a parts rifle, so to speak. Further there's no floor plate and associated hardware to go with it. Should I go somewhere else, If I do, what should I be looking for? Thanks.

How was the handguard? It appears it must have been a good fit.

GB1

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’m pretty happy with it now. I have some 220 grain cast with GC’s and unique powder. I have not tried that load on paper.

One thing that bugs me is these 98 Mausers were evidently painted instead of more durable finish. I’m considering alternative finishes.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on getting it together.

Don’t know a heck of a lot about military 98s, only that there’s a heck of a lot to know and I’m mainly interested in hunting rifles, but that paint might be original like No.4 SMLEs or arsenal rework. No matter for range work anyway. All the finish options now are frightfully expensive except DIY.

As for the sights, cast loads may shoot higher due to longer barrel time, but only one way to find out. I have a similar issue with a commercial FN and the oddball dovetail means I’ll have to do some extensive file work on a replacement blade, which most likely will be a brass one from Skinner. BTDT with others. Meanwhile, I have a Weaver base on the receiver ring and a 2moa red dot, a good hunting combination. This one, like some others I’ve owned, was drilled for some unknown bases from the past, so trouble-free scope mounting is out. The stock is shaped for irons anyway, so I’ll put the sight issue on the Someday List and shoot it as-is for a while. I was fortunate in finding a pristine Lyman 57FN at a very good price and managed to fit it with minimal blood loss.

FWIW, if you decide to shoot some jacketed loads, I’ve gotten excellent results in about a half-dozen ‘06s with 46gr of H4895 and 150gr bullets. Should be close to military ballistics, and is mild and accurate.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,478 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.