Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Solid gun.

I think the Poly is just part of the vintage experience. And they do work. I have one on a pre-war Ithaca 37R 20 ga.

DF

Never had a Win Super X but admired the “hose nozzle” Poly Choke as a kid. As depicted in F&S and others, those rose-colored pictures implied a shotgun that could do everything with it. Maybe could. Kind of a neat if simple engineering feat.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never owned one. I'll haul an A-5 out hunting any day of the week and multiple times on the weekend. You guys can have my share of the Sx-1.... mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The thread wasn't about you, what you like/don't like, or what you use...

What was the reason to trash another's good fortune?

Last edited by battue; 06/23/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Didn't trash troutnut's gun I've shot a few I'll take an A-5. Troutnut likes m870's also just like I do. Any badmouthing being done it's by you..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You could have complimented him on a shotgun he obviously was glad to have….rather than….

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Trout

Love that shotgun! Remember the 1978 Winchester catalog? I still have slobber marks on mine on the SX 1 pages. Mom and dad however thought it was extravagant and I received an 870 Wingmaster instead but my eyes were on the Winchester. Your shotgun was made of wood and steel and a thing of beauty it is, (yep, I am old) now thanks to you I am looking for one myself! You big enabler!!

Battue

The planned invasion of PA this fall has begun in search of the elusive grouse. Just thought I would warn you ahead of time...........

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I went back and looked at the pictures of his shotgun again, bad move on my part. I am starting to sweat but I will be okay..............maybe

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bartman
Trout

Love that shotgun! Remember the 1978 Winchester catalog? I still have slobber marks on mine on the SX 1 pages. Mom and dad however thought it was extravagant and I received an 870 Wingmaster instead but my eyes were on the Winchester. Your shotgun was made of wood and steel and a thing of beauty it is, (yep, I am old) now thanks to you I am looking for one myself! You big enabler!!

Battue

The planned invasion of PA this fall has begun in search of the elusive grouse. Just thought I would warn you ahead of time...........
I don't exactly remember that catalog. I was 5 at the time and guns weren't really dads thing. However I did have several uncles who were into them. And as was customary in those days everyone visited everyone on Sunday afternoon. I remember looking through old Winchester, Remington, even the Savage catalogs they had . I do like my 870s , 1100s, model 12s and a few others but you're right this is a nice shotgun. Just so happens I shoot or pretty well too so far . Good luck in your search

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bartman
Battue

The hunt will most likely be North of I80. There was a time you could make a 60 to 90 minute circle around Pittsburgh, and have the opportunity to have 20-30 flushes....sometimes more....a day.
They are history. North of I 80 they are hanging on and seem to be increasing slightly. Gun them with care....the Eastern Ruffed Grouse has few equals as a Game Bird. Our crew is thinking about going to Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Last edited by battue; 06/24/23.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The original poster has a nice gun! Very clean!

Based on my sample of one Super X Model 1:

Pluses (my opinion)

- Very smooth operating action (compared to my Beretta AL391 sporter and A400 Xcel). No clunky sounds...just a solid thunk.
- Extremely well built and finished.
- Modified choke only has -0.012" of constriction...so really is Light modified choke and patterns as such. Not a bad place to be for a sporting clays gun with some spreaders for the in-your-face targets.
- No one knows what it is!
- Very simple disassembly/reassembly makes for easy cleaning.
- Parts are still available for the springs and buffer.

Drawbacks (my opinion)

- Trigger is stiff on mine...7#s. Gun is clean and has not been shot very much. Two pounds or more too high and it affects my timing on the first round of skeet I shoot with it for the day.
- Gun is heavy at 8#2oz with the 28" vent rib barrel. Sluggish handling in my hands. Not an upland gun for me...but I knew that have some other nice ones.
- Forend is very "chunky" compared to my 12 ga Beretta AL391 and A400.
- Field stock has a lot of drop at 2-9/16" at the heel. The skeet stock I found fixed that issue.
- No cast-off built into either stock
- No stock shims for drop and cast
- Fixed chokes (I'e got a Full 30" trap barrel and 28" Modified ribbed ...would like a 26" skeet or IC ribbed barrel too!
- It doesn't handle anything like my M12's despite Winchester's claims! M12 beats it easily for what I like in a shotgun fit and dynamics.

Last edited by Kurt52; 06/29/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kurt52
The original poster has a nice gun! Very clean!

Based on my sample of one Super X Model 1:

Pluses (my opinion)

- Very smooth operating action (compared to my Beretta AL391 sporter and A400 Xcel). No clunky sounds...just a solid thunk.
- Extremely well built and finished.
- Modified choke only has -0.012" of constriction...so really is Light modified choke and patterns as such. Not a bad place to be for a sporting clays gun with some spreaders for the in-your-face targets.
- No one knows what it is!
- Very simple disassembly/reassembly makes for easy cleaning.
- Parts are still available for the springs and buffer.

Drawbacks (my opinion)

- Trigger is stiff on mine...7#s. Gun is clean and has not been shot very much. Two pounds or more too high and it affects my timing on the first round of skeet I shoot with it for the day.
- Gun is heavy at 8#2oz with the 28" vent rib barrel. Sluggish handling in my hands. Not an upland gun for me...but I knew that have some other nice ones.
- Field stock has a lot of drop at 2-9/16" at the heel. The skeet stock I found fixed that issue.
- Fixed chokes (I'e got a Full 30" trap barrel and 28" Modified ribbed ...would like a 26" skeet or IC ribbed barrel too!
- It doesn't handle anything like my M12's despite Winchester's claims! M12 beats it easily for what I like shotgun fit and dynamics.
They are nice guns but definitely don't handle like my model 12s .

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Agreed with that conclusion. I am good with fixed chokes, and LM is about perfect. However I just don't see the SX-1 as an upland gun at all. They're beautiful and well made and just too heavy...all that said, the thought of a 20ga SX-1 coming in at 6 and a half pounds about gives me palpitations. Too bad we'll never see such a thing.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Agreed with that conclusion. I am good with fixed chokes, and LM is about perfect. However I just don't see the SX-1 as an upland gun at all. They're beautiful and well made and just too heavy...all that said, the thought of a 20ga SX-1 coming in at 6 and a half pounds about gives me palpitations. Too bad we'll never see such a thing.
It would be a good one in 20.

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
Winchester was apparently going to start producing 20’s then pulled the plug. They may have actually been in a catalog. Probably a profitability issue. There was a prototype made and supposedly it ended up in Cody, WY. I visited there back in 2019 and I wanted to see it. I knocked on the door of the research room and asked the one person working there about it. She left and a guy came out in a few minutes and said yes, they had it but it’s not available for display because at some point the bolt was lost. I would have loved to have seen it.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Practically arousing to think about

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Beautiful guns.

I'd scratch the living hell out of all of them in no time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
battue.....heres that very gun of mine fs, in my young hands....at the armed forces match at the san ant gun club, tx. 1995.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
xpert16....just for you.
heres a 20ga sxm1 made with a field grade plain bbl. note no checking.
its not the best but this old pic is all I have.
an old fellow here in ct (in the know) from win x-div, said 4 were made. no one can confirm this.
so this pic is the only one I know of.
enjoy.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
q and answers to kurt..........

*which trigger do you have? type 1 or 3?

*weight absorbs recoil. keeps bbl from climbing from recoil, giving clear view of target.

*gun was built for what american men wanted at the time. wide f.a's were in vogue then...not today.

*personal preference.

*gun was marketed for a larger crowd, not for the custom crowd. but the trap grade could be had with a rh cast.

*the sxm1 isn't a teckno transformer leggo gun. personal fitting was done with a wood plain and dremel.

*both were made. skeet is common, ic is not. happy searching!

hope this helps.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Mine is an early S# grooved type 1 trigger. I knew a lot about the SX1 before I bought one and what I was getting into...just listed what I called "my comments".

I shot it today with the "full choke trap" barrel on it....patterns very high...about 80/20 vs the modified choke ribbed field barrel which is around 55/45 POI vs POA for me. Still looking for a skeet or IC ribbed barrel for it...my buddy has one I've shot (very well) and would love to add one SX1 to the collection.

I will say that the SX1 makes a super comfortable trap gun with 1 oz 1180 fps reloads! And very deadly on rising birds but for me not so much on those the wind was pushing down...haha. Again, all my observations....and quite a bit different feeling and handling shotgun vs my Beretta AL 391 Sporter and A400 Xcel Sporters. I enjoy shooting the SX1 and appreciate the quality firearm that it is.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,632
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.