Print Thread
Hop To
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In Idaho? [Linked Image from img.ksl.com]
[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]

This was about 10 miles from the farm. We didn’t even get wind to speak of. My farm help got a text from his mom with a video of the funnel, she was driving home from the store.

Touched down in a field for about two minutes. No damage to people or structures.

In Idaho?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50673189/unsettled-weather-causes-very-brief-tornado-in-eastern-idaho

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They aren't unknown here in ID but I've never heard of one doing any more damage than tearing the roof off of a cow shed or knocking down a wooden fence.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
15 years in Minnesota and the upper Midwest, then you haven't seen much then Rock Chuck.

back in the early 70s when I was working south of Chattanooga TN for the summer, there was one that touched down in Cleveland TN, just to the north of Chattanooga. It walked right thru town on old Routes US 64 and US 11., and flattened everything on 10 blocks on each side of it...

it was dropping livestock, roofs, sides of houses, pickups and Oldsmobiles up to 80 miles east of town....

I remember in the paper there was a picture of a farming pointing as what looked like a smashed Washing Machine up in an oak tree....although it wasn't a washing machine... it was a Volkswagen Bug... 70 miles east of Cleveland TN. A closeup of the picture, you could see the license plate on the 'washing machine'.

The pics posted above by Dutch... those are called Dust Devils back east, especially down south. Those are harmless...
I've even seen those in NY State and New England.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I could be wrong, but, I believe Mr. Chuck was talking about tornado damage in Idaho.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We had the loudest clap of lighting, and thunder I've ever heard.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We had at least three yesterday in WY.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
15 years in Minnesota and the upper Midwest, then you haven't seen much then Rock Chuck.

back in the early 70s when I was working south of Chattanooga TN for the summer, there was one that touched down in Cleveland TN, just to the north of Chattanooga. It walked right thru town on old Routes US 64 and US 11., and flattened everything on 10 blocks on each side of it...

it was dropping livestock, roofs, sides of houses, pickups and Oldsmobiles up to 80 miles east of town....

I remember in the paper there was a picture of a farming pointing as what looked like a smashed Washing Machine up in an oak tree....although it wasn't a washing machine... it was a Volkswagen Bug... 70 miles east of Cleveland TN. A closeup of the picture, you could see the license plate on the 'washing machine'.

The pics posted above by Dutch... those are called Dust Devils back east, especially down south. Those are harmless...
I've even seen those in NY State and New England.
There's a huge difference between a tornado and a dust devil. A tornado originates in the air in a clash between warm and cold air movements. A dust devil forms as the surface of the earth is heated by the sun. As the air near the surface warms, it rises leaving a low pressure gap near the surface. As air rushes in to fill the gap, it starts to turn. You can get tornados any time of day. Dust devils are only possible on hot sunny days.
The one Dutch posted is a tornado.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
In Idaho? [Linked Image from img.ksl.com]
[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]

This was about 10 miles from the farm. We didn’t even get wind to speak of. My farm help got a text from his mom with a video of the funnel, she was driving home from the store.

Touched down in a field for about two minutes. No damage to people or structures.

In Idaho?

https://www.ksl.com/article/50673189/unsettled-weather-causes-very-brief-tornado-in-eastern-idaho

Here too! We may have had more yesterday than in a typical year! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is also a third phenomenon called a land spout, which is like a waterspout but...well, you guessed. We had several such spouts in Utah just recently. They are neither dust devils nor tornadoes, but something of a cross between them. Cause by horizontal wind shear. They form at low altitude, neither at ground level like a dust devil, nor high up as in a thunderstorm tornado. They are also midway between the two as to strength.

I think what Dutch posted was just such a spout. The stratus clouds give it away, being neither sunny nor t'storm.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had 2 last Sunday nite, in our neck of the woods. Radar indicated and one showed a debris field on radar. Never did hear about any property damage.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Last time I was in Nevada this spring I saw 8-10 of those in one field.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There is also a third phenomenon called a land spout, which is like a waterspout but...well, you guessed. We had several such spouts in Utah just recently. They are neither dust devils nor tornadoes, but something of a cross between them. Cause by horizontal wind shear. They form at low altitude, neither at ground level like a dust devil, nor high up as in a thunderstorm tornado. They are also midway between the two as to strength.

I think what Dutch posted was just such a spout. The stratus clouds give it away, being neither sunny nor t'storm.
Okay, but NWS is calling it a tornado after first thinking it was a gustnado. Or so says news reports and NWS Twitter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Okay back at ya. I could only go by the photo, and I'm not a full-blown (pun intended) meteorologist. Just an amateur weather nut.

Tornadoes are pretty rare in the Rockies. The topography tends to prevent their formation, and even when they do, they're quite weak. Barely an F-1 usually.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Okay back at ya. I could only go by the photo, and I'm not a full-blown (pun intended) meteorologist. Just an amateur weather nut.

Tornadoes are pretty rare in the Rockies. The topography tends to prevent their formation, and even when they do, they're quite weak. Barely an F-1 usually.

Usually pretty weak/tame……but, not always! 😉 memtb

https://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/news/local/article_c4cdd504-e176-5d02-973d-4e2056b911fb.html

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.