Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Huge general rain across the pheasant belt today. Major lift for pheasants I'd think.

Curious- why would a "huge general rain" at peak of first hatch be a major lift for pheasants?

Lots of the pheasant belt east of here is in a general drought right now at the time when the grasses and crops need to do their growing if they're going to at all. Rain in August won't do much for the grass or crops. A shortage of rain then in turn will make for a shortage of feed which, perceived or real, will cause farmers and ranchers to hay and graze places they might not have to otherwise. So in the face of that reality, a general rain over the pheasant belt causing cover and forage to grow is a major lift for pheasants.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Saw a brood this am sitting on the edge of a gravel road getting out of the wet grass. They were about the size of mourning doves.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome I haven't seen any yet

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might report that I've seen more cottontail rabbits in this area than in quite a while They're not upland birds, but in my experience they survive winters pretty much like similar-sized upland birds, though the "hatch" is more variable.... In general, good bunny years have been good upland years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, we’ve noticed this in our neighborhood also, but Mr. McGregor, my neighbor is convinced that his garden recruits rabbits within a five mile radius. 😉

I hope your theory is the one in play here.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've never thought of that but I can see it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cover should be better than the last couple years, some good areas were super thin with no rain last year.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Huge general rain across the pheasant belt today. Major lift for pheasants I'd think.

Curious- why would a "huge general rain" at peak of first hatch be a major lift for pheasants?

Lots of the pheasant belt east of here is in a general drought right now at the time when the grasses and crops need to do their growing if they're going to at all. Rain in August won't do much for the grass or crops. A shortage of rain then in turn will make for a shortage of feed which, perceived or real, will cause farmers and ranchers to hay and graze places they might not have to otherwise. So in the face of that reality, a general rain over the pheasant belt causing cover and forage to grow is a major lift for pheasants.

Good explanation of your comment. I hadn't heard about drought needing relief in SD until this weekend and your report. In contrast most of Montana has been wet and more wet. Plentywood to Miles City are seeing roosters courting hens again, and Hun pairs without chicks in the roads, suggesting first nest or brood failure.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 07/04/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
John, we’ve noticed this in our neighborhood also, but Mr. McGregor, my neighbor is convinced that his garden recruits rabbits within a five mile radius. 😉

I hope your theory is the one in play here.

George,

Now that's funny!

But the bunnies I've seen haven't been in gardens.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of rain in the last ten days. My brother in law has gotten ten inches in ten days. Causes problems of its own but lack of cover is always a concern. We should be in good shape going forward.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.