Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Wondering what's the opinion on muzzle brakes.
Have a Remington 788 in 308, going to be replacing the barrel on it.
Thinking of making it a 18" deer/ target type rifle.

What kind of muzzle break would you mount? Possily a clamp on type would be something to look at?

Last edited by MCMark; 06/25/23.

Proud Left hander!
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Kahntol makes good clamp-on brakes, but they're big. If you're going to replace the barrel, might as well get it threaded - you can run a thread protector if you don't want a brake, or eventually a can if you decide to get a suppressor, and can run the brake at the range and take if off for hunting if you wanted. You could also look at a linear comp, which isn't as effective as a normal brake but has the benefit of pushing a lot of the blast forwards. Area419, APA, PVA, and MDT make good thread-on brakes.

"Muzzle brakes are too loud!" - any rifle shot taken without hearing protection creates instant, irreversible damage (auditory exclusion is a thing for people who want to argue), so muzzle brakes being "too loud" is a specious argument. Blast is a different argument, but the better brakes direct concussion sideways, not back at the shooter, which is a concern for shorter-barreled rifles.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty
Kahntol makes good clamp-on brakes, but they're big. If you're going to replace the barrel, might as well get it threaded - you can run a thread protector if you don't want a brake, or eventually a can if you decide to get a suppressor, and can run the brake at the range and take if off for hunting if you wanted. You could also look at a linear comp, which isn't as effective as a normal brake but has the benefit of pushing a lot of the blast forwards. Area419, APA, PVA, and MDT make good thread-on brakes.

"Muzzle brakes are too loud!" - any rifle shot taken without hearing protection creates instant, irreversible damage (auditory exclusion is a thing for people who want to argue), so muzzle brakes being "too loud" is a specious argument. Blast is a different argument, but the better brakes direct concussion sideways, not back at the shooter, which is a concern for shorter-barreled rifles.

Not going to worry about noise since I use ear plugs.
That's good to know on the linear comp, might be something to look at.
Wish we could run suppressors up her in Canada frown

Proud Left hander!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My brakes are threaded. Easy option when replacing a barrel. Easy to have current barrel threaded by someone who knows what he’s doing.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Look up Nathan at Muzzle Brakes and More. Pretty sure he's still a member here but not sure of his user ID. He's a wealth of knowledge and makes great brakes. If you get him your barrel diameter at the brake he'll taper it for you. Get some arbor shims from Amazon and time it yourself.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
X2 for Muzzle Brakes and More. Nathan makes a great Muzzle brake. I have replaced several brakes with his. Its my go to brake. https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/beast-1-piece check them out.

Last edited by jc189; 06/25/23.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check out suppressors. They better than brakes.

More expensive.

DF

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

More expensive.

DF
Sadly not allowed in Canada frown

Proud Left hander!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MCMark

More expensive.

DF
Whoops.

Yeah, them suppressors are dangerous. Gotta jump thru hoops here. Pay the Piper.

DF

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

More expensive.

DF
Whoops.

Yeah, them suppressors are dangerous. Gotta jump thru hoops here. Pay the Piper.

DF
Yeah, up here in Canada we have some stupid laws.

Proud Left hander!
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Personally, I hate brakes…..absolutely not needed on low recoil rifles.

If you’re planning on having a barrel that short…..perhaps consider a “suppressor”. It’s long, a bit bulky, ugly dried cow dung, but……it reduces muzzle blast and reduces recoil a little! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MCMark;
Good afternoon, I hope you all are having seasonally appropriate weather and you're all well.

Admittedly I am not a fan of muzzle brakes on my personal hunting rifles because of the spot and stalk so wearing anything other than noise cancelling headphones wouldn't really work for me.

That said, we've fooled a wee bit with an Erik Cortina tunable muzzle brake and on that rifle - Sako S20 in 6.5PRC - we could tell it worked.

Also having shot next to braked rifles, I can see that if you're shooting prone or heaven forbid off the hood of a pickup, one doesn't want a brake that vents downward at all.

Speaking of that, pay attention to the redirected blast with braked rifles, as said 6.5PRC did move my range box which was to the rear of the rifle about a foot and a couple feet to the right. But it'd move the range box - which was empty for sure - about an inch with each shot. We thought that was kind of humorous, you know applied physics and all that. laugh

While it's not the most svelte one out there, the MDT one at least is made in Canada so there'd be no exchange or Canada Customs to contend with.

If you've not done so already, see if you can budget a new Timney trigger for the 788 at the same time. The last one I found was at Western Gun Parts and I want to say it ate up most of $200, but my goodness it smartened up the pull compared to the original.

Hope that helped and was useful, good luck with the project whichever way you proceed.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hate it when my muzzle-or any other part of my gun-breaks.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hate it when my muzzle-or any other part of my gun-breaks.
Wondered how long before something like this came up.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by memtb

If you’re planning on having a barrel that short…..perhaps consider a “suppressor”. It’s long, a bit bulky, ugly dried cow dung, but……it reduces muzzle blast and reduces recoil a little! memtb

A 308 isn't exactly a low recoil cartridge, one thing on the rifle is, the previous owner added a metal but plate.

Can't own a suppressor up here in Canada, it's prohibited.

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

A 308 isn't exactly a low recoil cartridge, one thing on the rifle is, the previous owner added a metal but plate.

Not sure if your gunsmith does it, but a lot can install a grind-to-fit recoil pad like a Limbsaver. Definitely takes a lot of the sting out of hunting-weight rifles.

M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SinisterLefty

Not sure if your gunsmith does it, but a lot can install a grind-to-fit recoil pad like a Limbsaver. Definitely takes a lot of the sting out of hunting-weight rifles.

I do have a slip on recoil pad. Helped quite a bit.

Proud Left hander!
M
MCMark Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BC30cal
MCMark;
Good afternoon, I hope you all are having seasonally appropriate weather and you're all well.

Admittedly I am not a fan of muzzle brakes on my personal hunting rifles because of the spot and stalk so wearing anything other than noise cancelling headphones wouldn't really work for me.

That said, we've fooled a wee bit with an Erik Cortina tunable muzzle brake and on that rifle - Sako S20 in 6.5PRC - we could tell it worked.

Also having shot next to braked rifles, I can see that if you're shooting prone or heaven forbid off the hood of a pickup, one doesn't want a brake that vents downward at all.

Speaking of that, pay attention to the redirected blast with braked rifles, as said 6.5PRC did move my range box which was to the rear of the rifle about a foot and a couple feet to the right. But it'd move the range box - which was empty for sure - about an inch with each shot. We thought that was kind of humorous, you know applied physics and all that. laugh

While it's not the most svelte one out there, the MDT one at least is made in Canada so there'd be no exchange or Canada Customs to contend with.

If you've not done so already, see if you can budget a new Timney trigger for the 788 at the same time. The last one I found was at Western Gun Parts and I want to say it ate up most of $200, but my goodness it smartened up the pull compared to the original.

Hope that helped and was useful, good luck with the project whichever way you proceed.

Dwayne
Hi Dwayne,

That's interesting, I guess the amount of gassed directed to the rear by the break is a good amount!
I don't think I'm going to be doing any prone type shooting? Going to be using a bench to do most of the practice with.
Yes, I found the MDT break, looks like a interesting one.
Yes, I found that 788 trigger, might be something to look at buying!

I do know that a break will be helpful with muzzle lift, right now it's rising about 5-6" or so. Not that great for taking another shot on target.
Mark

Proud Left hander!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been to a couple of gun ranges where E. Fudd showed up with his "Mountain Howitzer" magnum with muzzle brake!
EGADS AND LITTLE FISHES!!!!!
Didn't take long for half the shooters to clear out!
The rest of the world shouldn't have to suffer just because you can't handle the recoil of your "Mangle-Um" Magnum rifle!
It doesn't take a half pound of powder and a 600 grain bullet to kill a whitetail!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I've been to a couple of gun ranges where E. Fudd showed up with his "Mountain Howitzer" magnum with muzzle brake!
EGADS AND LITTLE FISHES!!!!!
Didn't take long for half the shooters to clear out!
The rest of the world shouldn't have to suffer just because you can't handle the recoil of your "Mangle-Um" Magnum rifle!
It doesn't take a half pound of powder and a 600 grain bullet to kill a whitetail!
Doesn't take a magnum to make your ears bleed.

A bud put a break on a 22-250 before I bought it from him. 1 shot and I unscrewed it and got a thread protector.

That was one loud SOB. Far louder than a 25-06 I had with a brake that could be turned off or on.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.