Campfire Ranger
The Duke’s political views were spot on

GB1

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Those were better days, but no, I don't miss his one toned acting or the stamped out characters he played.

Lol, the Duke played John Wayne. And still pulled it off. Like Sean Connery playing a Russian captain with a Scottish brogue. And pulled it off……

There’s not enough men left, I’ll put up with some acting deficiencies to see a real man, and a real woman, on a movie screen again.

Hey, look, Tom Cruise has another mission impossible movie out! He can ACT! (Gag).

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
I miss Elsa Martinelli. grin

"Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini
from the movie Hatari! - Howard Hawks 1962

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Elsa Martinelli walking a cheetah on the Paramount lot during production of Hatari! (1962).

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Hey, look, Tom Cruise has another mission impossible movie out! He can ACT! (Gag)."

While I tend to agree with the (GAG!) he did do a movie titled, "COLLATERAL} that really wasn't half bad.

He played a serious hit man with a shopping list of people to whack.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get me wrong, grew up with the Duke on TV every weekend. Still will watch if I run across one thats on. Guy played the same role in just about every movie he made.

Off screen - talked a big game. What branch did he serve in during WWII?...

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Don't get me wrong, grew up with the Duke on TV every weekend. Still will watch if I run across one thats on. Guy played the same role in just about every movie he made.

NONE.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Now you can enjoy the essence of The Duke just about any time.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
A quick internet search shows John Wayne was 34 years old at the time of Pearl Harbor and thus was not eligible for the draft. he requested a reclassification and got it changed to 1A. However, his employer, Republic Pictures, threatened to sue him if he tried to get out of his contract. He made repeated attempts to join anyway. So, it's not like he tried to avoid serving.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Born in Iowa.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by super T
A quick internet search shows John Wayne was 34 years old at the time of Pearl Harbor and thus was not eligible for the draft. he requested a reclassification and got it changed to 1A. However, his employer, Republic Pictures, threatened to sue him if he tried to get out of his contract. He made repeated attempts to join anyway. So, it's not like he tried to avoid serving.

Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire and the usual suspects to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

NONE.

Please regale us with your military service (HINT: unless you're like Audy Murphy, Dale Robertson etc. don't bother). That said, Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire ankle biterss to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
He did not need to "play", any other character.He was what he was.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by super T

Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire and the usual suspects to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

NONE.

Please regale us with your military service (HINT: unless you're like Audy Murphy, Dale Robertson etc. don't bother). That said, Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire ankle biterss to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.

You sure get touchy about the Nobles Horhay. First the Queen. Now the Duke.

I'm sorry I cast aspersions upon your hero.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
He did not need to "play", any other character.He was what he was.

And that folks, is what ACTING is all about. No need to play a character, lol.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1234, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,348
Posts18,526,992
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.