Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Those original M7s with 18.5" barrels are handy little rifles. I bought one in 7-08 back in the early '80s for my, now, xwife. My daughter has it now and does very well with it.
That round, in that sweet little rifle, is a great combo.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
HR IC

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I’ve hunted with both a .260 and 7-08 stainless black stock 20” barrel. Taken deer with each using Hornady, Barnes and Nosler bullets. I like them fine. Maybe because I’ve never had to compare their pointing and handling with the elusive best grade English double.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a stainless 20" synthetic 260 with a Leupold 2 x 7. I stiffened the forend of the stock with some graphite arrow sections and a self leveling bonding filler we had at work at the time. Full length bedded over that and it added just enough weight to make it really sweet handling. I've held it to sub MOA to 300 yards with good handloads, it's one of my faves.

Don't know that I would do another unless I just got a great deal on it.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always thought a Model 7 and the 300 Savage would make a nifty little rig.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
IMO the Predator version of the Model 7 was one of Remingtons best rifles. I've owned several of them, and every single one was an accurate rifle right out of the box.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I won’t go under 20” unless there’s a can, and I don’t plan on a can*, so……

*might get one someday for my 5.7 and the other threaded .22s on hand, or in the unlikely event I ever gain access to one of the farms in this bedroom area I live in.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
If memory serves, $1295 including the Leuopld 2-7.
I've got one cheaper than that in the classifieds.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Troutnut
If memory serves, $1295 including the Leuopld 2-7.
I've got one cheaper than that in the classifieds.
Checking on that 👍👍

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I always thought a Model 7 and the 300 Savage would make a nifty little rig.

It sure would, 130 Barnes be perfect

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve owned three: a blued 308 in a walnut stock, a stainless 308 in a Tupperware stock, and a 7mm-08 in a Brown Precision. All three were accurate. The 308s were muzzle light. The 7mm-08 balanced well but the barrel was so light that groups would open when it got warm. Groups were tiny if I let the barrel cool completely between shots but I don’t have that kind of patience.

I considered rebarreling it with a sporter-taper barrel but I ended up selling it. I replaced it with a 700 Youth model, which has a 20” barrel and a 13” LOP. It’s about a pound heavier but the weight is all in the right places.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Considering one up for sale in my area. Wood stock, .243 cal. Excellent condition. I don't know much about them, but it looks and handles really nicely.

I've owned 3. 1 7mm-08 with the 18.5" blued barrel and wood stock, 1 7mm-08 stainless with a 20" barrel and synthetic stock, and 1 .308 "XCR" model with a heavier 20" fluted barrel. The two 7mm-08s were awkwardly butt heavy. Though lighter than a short 700, they need a heavier barrel to balance well. The XCR was better.

So far as weight, balance, etc, what I was looking for in the Sevens was what I found in Kimber rifles. I think all of the remington actions are a bit too heavy to balance well with a mountain barrel or a short sporter barrel unless you find a way to take a huge amount of weight off of the stock especially at the rear.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
So far as weight, balance, etc, what I was looking for in the Sevens was what I found in Kimber rifles. I think all of the remington actions are a bit too heavy to balance well with a mountain barrel or a short sporter barrel unless you find a way to take a huge amount of weight off of the stock especially at the rear.

Yeah, I'd say the scaled-down Kimber 84 action or the 700ti are better fits for the lighter contours with regards to balance, assuming a lightweight synthetic stock.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some years back, I took an older Remington 660 action, which was the lightest Remington action at the time (predecessor to the M7), and screwed on a stainless 700 sporter barrel, cut to 20". Putting it in a McMillan edge-fill M7KS stock made a sub-6lb rifle that actually balanced well. It generally wears a 2-7x33, but has a 3-9x40 in this pic. There are better ways to skin a cat these days, but the rifle still works.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JPro is right about action weight. Model 7 2# 2 oz. Model 700 ADL 2# 3.5 oz. Mini Mauser 2# 1 oz.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by JPro
Some years back, I took an older Remington 660 action, which was the lightest Remington action at the time (predecessor to the M7), and screwed on a stainless 700 sporter barrel, cut to 20". Putting it in a McMillan edge-fill M7KS stock made a sub-6lb rifle that actually balanced well. It generally wears a 2-7x33, but has a 3-9x40 in this pic. There are better ways to skin a cat these days, but the rifle still works.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is where I was headed with my Model Seven until I realized how small the difference in action weight is. I decided it would be cheaper to find a 700 Youth than to rebarrel the Seven. Now I just need to upgrade the factory stock while keeping the 13" LOP.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
I think all of the remington actions are a bit too heavy to balance well with a mountain barrel or a short sporter barrel unless you find a way to take a huge amount of weight off of the stock especially at the rear.

Bingo. Anything that moves weight closer to the action is the right move, starting with shorter LOPs and lighter recoil pads.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Never owned a 7, but a friend has one in .243 and he likes it.

I did have an ADL 700 carbine in .308. I think it had a 20” barrel but don’t remember for sure. That was a nice rifle. I shot a few matches of silhouette with it. That was a bit much, but it was a nice hunting rifle.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MnFn
I shot a few matches of silhouette with it.

Mine is accurate enough for match shooting. Love that about it.

Okie John

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I have a wood stocked Rem 7 .260 that i purchased for my daughter years ago and it's very accurate and she's taken quite a few deer with it. She has a 700 now and doesn't use it very often so this one will probably be handed down to a grandkid.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had 4 still have 3.1st one was an original 18.5" in 6mm Rem. The butt had been cut for a 12.5".lop, some rancher bought it new, cut it and brought 3 sons up using it when the last graduated to a full size he traded it off. I was thinking of my daughter when I bought it but she didn't like it. So I looked around for a full size replacement stock unsuccessfully. Realized I'd be better off just selling it to someone who needed a kids gun. So I had it at a gs and a couple of local loonies walked up and were handling it talking about its potential new barrel , stock different scope all that shid. Shot them a high price and they said they would think about it and walked off. Was a guy with a 10 year old girl who was little more than a stick kid , 2 boys about 6 and 8 walked up. Joe blue collar, clothes that seen better days but clean just like the kids. He asked to handle it, it had a old Redfield rings base and wideview 2 x7 on it. He looks it over and changes it to 2x then hands it to the girl who lit up with a smile that cut her face in half. He said I can't afford the price you quoted those guys can you do better?. I looked him in the eye and asked what he could afford? He offered 450 which is more than I had in it. I told him it's yours , perfect fit he'd teach all them kids with it. Thru in a part box of reduced loads.
Next one was a predator new in 243 great little gun and so is the Magnum ss 7 mm saum that followed it. Awhile back I scored another 6mm like the 1st one only mint. And it's a keeper. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had a 1980s or early 1990s 18.5" walnut .308 Win with the three receiver screws. Excellent quality carbine, and mine fed and ejected perfectly, but as others say I found it a bit muzzle light and didn't like the muzzle blast. It was unruly but still controllable. It was everything i wanted in a hunting rifle before I knew what I wanted. To my dismay, I shot 2-2.5" groups with it when the 24" 270 I sold to get it shot 1 MOA.

I found that a 22 inch Winchester Featherweight also in .308 was more my speed, and sold the Model Seven shortly after. It held steadier with a bit more barrel weight, didn't bark at me in my face so much with 3.5" more barrel, and I didn't have to put a rail on it. A nice middle ground between the feisty carbine and the 24" sporter.

These days I wonder if a 24" sporter barrel contour with a McMillan Hunter's Edge might be my huckleberry. I like a little muzzle weight, and the blast would be another 2" away. The thing would probably be 7.5 pounds with a 6x36 on it.

Last edited by philthygeezer; 06/25/23.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

403 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.