Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have the above mentioned rifle with the heavy barrel. It is much more accurate than I am, a pleasure to shoot and shoots good groups with most any factory ammo. What I find very frustrating is the cartridge doesn’t always feed and I end up hand feeding a single cartridge after each shot.

The bolt passes over the cartridge and re-inserting the magazine (Tikka magazine) more often than not doesn’t correct the issue.

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue will be appreciated as my patience is wearing thin because of my inability to fix this. Seems simple, but not for this old man.

Rant over!

HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Your barreled action may not be sitting down all the way in the stock. I've seen this issue when guys do not properly install the action into the stock because of the weird recoil lug they have. That would be the first thing I checked. To me it sounds like the magazine is not up high enough, so the bolt rides over the cartridge.

If you can't figure it out, I guess you could always sell it to me. I bought my 22-250 varmint model because the owner was having similar issues and he also said it was not shooting well. Paid $500.00 for a like new varmint model.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Load the mag up with empty brass. Heat the lips gently with a heat gun till the cartridges rise up a bit

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm with BSA on this one. Pull the action out of the stock and look at the lug. Make sure there isn't a burr on the lug from it not seating properly. If there is replace the recoil lug. If all is well try laying the barreled action in your lap and lowering the stock onto it to feel it drop into the lug.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Will do. Thanks

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Standard capacity Mag or extended capacity?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a Mr. Obvious question but what is the overall length of your cartridges?

A Tikka .223 magazine will reliably feed cartridges at 2.285" but that's right on the borderline. It will accept cartridges a smidgen longer and they can be pushed down into the mag, but the nose will hang up, especially the second one, and not feed.

I was trying that just yesterday in my .223 since the optimum length for a particular bullet exceeded the mag length and I was shortening it in .005" increments to find a max OAL that didn't affect reliability.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I pulled the action and removed the recoil lug. The lug was fine, but I noticed a bump in the base where the lug fits. I smoothed out the plastic, inserted the lug, action and torqued the two bolts.
I cycled five cartridges just fine. Problem solved and thanks for the suggestions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Stilhuntin
I pulled the action and removed the recoil lug. The lug was fine, but I noticed a bump in the base where the lug fits. I smoothed out the plastic, inserted the lug, action and torqued the two bolts.
I cycled five cartridges just fine. Problem solved and thanks for the suggestions.

Good deal. I figured the action was not sitting down in the stock like it should be. I'll bet it shoots better now too, even though you said it was already shooting good.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.