Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hey all my Colt light rifle is bout to be sent off for the Melvin treatment and I’m debating upgrading the scope as well. Budgets were a little tight last year so I swapped into a Nikon monarch 3 4-16 to get through the season. I’d like to keep the ultra light weight of the rifle but add a little capability and reliability. Preference would be to stay in the 500-700 range if possible.

One constraint I do have is the bolt handle clearance is very tight. I had to go with taller rings than I would have liked to clear the ocular on the Nikon. Not sure if 30mm main tube would make a difference either way.

Right now I’m eyeing the athlon Helos btr 2-12 (currently have a 4-20 helos btr gen 22 on my league 22lr and have been very impressed with it)

Also thought something like swfa 3-9 if they would ever become available but would rather have higher magnification as well.

Looked at trijicon but they’re a bit out of my price range and the ocular is huge

Last / worst idea is pilfer a vx3i 4.5-14 off my old rifle or I have a vx3L 4.5-14 with the curved bell sitting on a shelf. Both have small oculars and the standard vx3 is nice and light but I know the reputation they have and I will admit I’ve sent back more gold rings than any other brand for warranty work ( up to 4 I think now)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
What exactly are you looking to improve scope wise?

AS for bolt handle clearance, you might want to get a down-curved bolt. Besides raising up your scope even more, or getting a very long scope with a very [bleep] eye relief.... that's just problem you'll most likely have to live with.

H&R Discussion Discord: https://discord.gg/4MqJrMvZZK
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Swfa 3-9, good reticle, reliable and repeatable dial. I’ve run the swfa 3-9 and a Bushnell Lrhs on my Colt Nula and don’t have bolt clearance issues. I’d find a used 3-9 and be done with it. Unless you plan on shooting more than 600 yards I don’t think you are going to need more than 9x anyway.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I’d be looking for a used Kahles 3-9

O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Check out Tract optics.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Swaro Z3, stupid light. Touch above the $800 mark but could probably find one used. Tract Tekoa, heavier but on sale for $500 right now. The Helos is a pig weight-wise (25oz) and FFP on a low-mag hunting scope never made much sense to me. SWFA is supposedly shipping but may be waiting a while if you order in between batches.

Might check with somewhere like LRI to see about getting the bolt handle modified to gain better ocular clearance?

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I don't see much improvement possible in your budget. I would keep what you have unless you find it lacking in some way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 is pretty close to standard size, and is pretty light. I have one on my Fieldcraft in Talley lows and it’s a perfect fit, with solid cheekweld. It’s also about the cheapest of the illuminated Trijicons.

IMO, it’s about the perfect general-purpose hunting scope. I also have one on an M70 EW. Worth a look.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I love my Trijicon Credo 3-9's and often recommend them. Unless you want to get busy with a Dremel, don't put one on that rifle.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I love my Trijicon Credo 3-9's and often recommend them. Unless you want to get busy with a Dremel, don't put one on that rifle.

Damn I know companies are making them tough but why with todays manufacturing and materials do these scopes just have to be gigantic. I’ll have to see if there’s anything the smith can do to radius or clear the bolt handle anymore

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 is pretty close to standard size, and is pretty light. I have one on my Fieldcraft in Talley lows and it’s a perfect fit, with solid cheekweld. It’s also about the cheapest of the illuminated Trijicons.

IMO, it’s about the perfect general-purpose hunting scope. I also have one on an M70 EW. Worth a look.

I’ll have to look at that one, my eyes aren’t the greatest and would like a little higher magnification. To zoom in and final ID if nothing else but doesn’t look like anyone outside leupold makes smaller framed mid range magnification and my trust in them isn’t the greatest anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I solved the bolt handle clearance problem on mine with a file

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Trijicon is the best scope mentioned here by far. If you want more mag, look hard at the Credo 2.5-15x42. They can be found in the $800 range and are a fantastic value.

Another worth looking at is the Nightforce SHV. Not sure how the size of the occular compares.

I know it’s hard to comprehend, but taking a file to scallop your bolt handle is an easy job. File/grind for clearance and then polish smooth. Then just have the bolt handle Cerakoted. Personally, that’s what I would do before I accepted a lesser quality scope or higher mounts.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 06/27/23.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I dropped a message to the smith to see what they can do to make more clearance or what scopes they’ve had success with. Which one of the credos have locking turrets? I see them mentioned as an option but not which model it comes on? Any idea how shv compared to credo overall?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No problemo….

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington92
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Damn I know companies are making them tough but why with todays manufacturing and materials do these scopes just have to be gigantic. I’ll have to see if there’s anything the smith can do to radius or clear the bolt handle anymore

It's a combination of the straight bolt handle, the larger than normal bell and the height of the throw lever.

On a hunting scope, you shouldn't need a lever. A slight nub would suffice. If you feel like you need a lever that size, simply move the damn thing a little.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Going to the $1-1.1k mark for an SHV opens up a lot of other options compared to a limit of $700, especially if you consider used scopes, but seems to be driving directly away from the initial "lightweight" requirement. SHV starts at, what, 30oz? That's a lump on top of a light rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 3-10x42 SHV is about 22oz. Not light, but not an absolute tank. The Accupoint 3-9 is a great choice too.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Glenn at Outkast just emailed me today that my CLR is ready. Just put the check in the mail so, I should have the gun pretty soon. One of the things I asked them to do was bend the bolt handle. I sent them a pic with the bolt handle hitting the ocular just like yours. Told them I wasn't interested in cutting off the handle and screwing on a bent one. I know it's a tricky job for a smith to bend it and preserve the temper in the bolt body (a CLR bolt is made from one piece of steel). I can't wait to see what it looks like and how much clearance I gained. When I get the gun I'll post a before and after pic for you.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by 1eyedmule
Glenn at Outkast just emailed me today that my CLR is ready. Just put the check in the mail so, I should have the gun pretty soon. One of the things I asked them to do was bend the bolt handle. I sent them a pic with the bolt handle hitting the ocular just like yours. Told them I wasn't interested in cutting off the handle and screwing on a bent one. I know it's a tricky job for a smith to bend it and preserve the temper in the bolt body (a CLR bolt is made from one piece of steel). I can't wait to see what it looks like and how much clearance I gained. When I get the gun I'll post a before and after pic for you.

Oh awesome! Hopefully I can figure out how to get mine shipped out sometime this week and get it in line.

What all did you have them do to yours? What scope you running?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 51 invisible), 1,709 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,625
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.