Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Benben Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have experience being diagnosed with AGS? I have an appointment with an allergist in a couple weeks. I’ve been experiencing weird rashes for the last 4 months. I’ve had intermittent symptoms in addition to the rashes. I doubt it’s AGS, but the issue seems to be exacerbated by eating red meat. My last red meat was last Friday and had a rash about 4 hours later. No rash since.

Anyone have experience they care to share?

Mike

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Benben,

I am married to an alpha-gal. She loves to be in charge of almost everything. It seems she is always looking for something needing attention that requires more physical strength than she has. So, I guess I live with Alpha Gal Syndrome.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Friend in WA just went back to OK to visit her family. I learned her dad has it. Lone Star tick bite apparently can lead to it happening. Her father cannot eat red meat of any type. Apparently it is an allergic reaction to a protein in mammal flesh.

I told my wife when I found out about it that she might as well sign me up to be thrown overboard and buried at sea if I ever got it. I certainly hope you don't have it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Benben Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I don’t think I had any tick bites last fall but I suppose it’s possible; don’t know if we have lone star ticks on the Black Hills. It’s been a bad spring for ticks here, though. I guess I’ll know more I a few weeks.

Mike
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do you ever get over it?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Do you ever get over it?
I don't think I read that anywhere Jim.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Benben
I don’t think I had any tick bites last fall but I suppose it’s possible; don’t know if we have lone star ticks on the Black Hills. It’s been a bad spring for ticks here, though. I guess I’ll know more I a few weeks.
Not sure they get up there. But close. Might be another species that can carry it though?

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1911661

In addition to occupying its established range, the lone star tick has expanded into the upper midwestern and northeastern United States and eastern Canada.2,3

The title of reference 3 there mentions studies in Ontario, Canada, so I'd guess they could perhaps survive in the Black Hills?

In it is contentment

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Considering the shortage of alpha males I suppose it makes sense. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Benben Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
According to SDSU, the Lone Star tick is found in SD along with 3-4 other species.

I think the odds are good that this is an allergic reaction other than AGS. Hope so; not eating meat would suck.

Mike
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's hope so Benben.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Benben,

I am married to an alpha-gal. She loves to be in charge of almost everything. It seems she is always looking for something needing attention that requires more physical strength than she has. So, I guess I live with Alpha Gal Syndrome.

You sound proud to be a servant

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Dad had it. He couldn’t eat any mammal meat for the rest of his life. He took a few ambulance rides in anaphylactic shock until they got it figured out. He told me he was so sick of chicken he could hardly stand it. Poultry and fish are all the meat you can eat. Good luck, I hope you don’t test positive for it. It can wax and wane in intensity but it’s a lifetime thing.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Damn I’d hate to not be able to eat red meat

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The National Deer Association (NDA) website has a brief but good article about alpha-gal allergy.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Do you ever get over it?

NO...

And is supposedly kinda rare (30k cases in USA).

With that said. I know two people with it and had myself tested last week (I already have Lyme).

It is a real mess... John cannot even eat chicken/eggs (bone meal feed from red meat animals)... and certain fish/fish parts (he says).

Good guy... damn shame to see.

Lyme has hurt me, but not like AG has hurt John.

Laura and I pull ticks almost daily... Standard routine is Neosporin on a Baidaid every 6 hours until the welp is gone... Permethrin spray on clothes. Dogs take meds.

Laura keeps some half-ass tick chart (which is only a fraction of actual)... just in case the ticks need to be tested or whatever.

I do not.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Not sure they get up there. But close. Might be another species that can carry it though?

We are covered with Lone Stars... I do not recall that being the case years back (but maybe it was... who knows).

I am not a tin foil hat kinda guy, but if I found out tick spread was some CIA OP I would not call BS either. Weird times.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had a weird seasonal allergy that I got severe rashes on the left side of my body. Always hit in spring. Doctors couldn't figure it out but a guy in DeSmit, SD did. Turned out it was my thyroid. PM me and I'll explain more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Valsdad

We are covered with Lone Stars... I do not recall that being the case years back (but maybe it was... who knows).

I am not a tin foil hat kinda guy, but if I found out tick spread was some CIA OP I would not call BS either. Weird times.

Some of the articles I glanced at shows them expanding their range with warmer (overall) temperatures further north and east from their original ranges.

One mentioned reforestation, rebounding of large animal populations (deer, turkey, and eastern coyotes) on which the Lone Star tick feeds exclusively (their younger stages will apparently feed on smaller birds and such)..

Say what you will about CA ;), at least in this part I think we've had one or two ticks on us or the dogs in 6 years here. Those -10* to -25* F winter nights probably help to keep those southern ticks from getting here.

In it is contentment

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LBP
Damn I’d hate to not be able to eat red meat

ya, at that point just shoot me

one more reason to stay in Alaska, we don't have stupid shyte like ticks, venomous snakes & spiders out here, I'd rather deal with brown/grizzly bears

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,479
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.