Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K1500
My Dad had it. He couldn’t eat any mammal meat for the rest of his life. He took a few ambulance rides in anaphylactic shock until they got it figured out. He told me he was so sick of chicken he could hardly stand it. Poultry and fish are all the meat you can eat. Good luck, I hope you don’t test positive for it. It can wax and wane in intensity but it’s a lifetime thing.
Not even deer or small game?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
My Dad had it. He couldn’t eat any mammal meat for the rest of his life. He took a few ambulance rides in anaphylactic shock until they got it figured out. He told me he was so sick of chicken he could hardly stand it. Poultry and fish are all the meat you can eat. Good luck, I hope you don’t test positive for it. It can wax and wane in intensity but it’s a lifetime thing.
Nothing that comes from any mammal

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Damn.

A buds wife has something that makes her unable to eat much beef and what beef she does eat has to be cooked then boiled 1 or 2 times to get rid of most of the fat.

Cattle farmers too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Like all allergies, some get it worse than others and some do spontaneously seem to get better. But some go from mild to ambulance ride too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, Cash mentioned his friend can't eat chicken or eggs that have been fed on feed containing bone meal and such. I never heard that, but if the birds incorporated that into their flesh, and the proteins or whatever were still hanging around it makes sense.

I'd have to raise my own chickens and eggs (which I already do!)

And I'd eat a lot more fish from the ocean, not many mammals out there that fish eat on.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Swamplord is not quite correct I think. We have ticks and spiders both, just not anything nasty. Yet. But they are on the lookout on the tick frontier.

IIRC, Lyme doesn't host in blacktail deer, but it's probably only a matter of time. I know half a dozen people up here that have it - all caught it hiking while Outside, mostly eastern US.

Last edited by las; 06/27/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a nephew that I believe has it. He got it from a tic bite. He can't eat any beef, but venison is fine as long as no beef fillers or fat is used in the processing. Puts a whole new outlook on deer hunting...

Harry
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by las
Swamplord is not quite correct I think. We have ticks and spiders both, just not anything nasty. Yet. But they are on the lookout on the tick frontier.

IIRC, Lyme doesn't host in blacktail deer, but it's probably only a matter of time. I know half a dozen people up here that have it - all caught it hiking while Outside, mostly eastern US.
I thought there weren’t any ticks up there until the last year we lived there. Conditions got just right or something but I shot a rabbit in November that was covered up with little seed ticks and the following summer our dogs were constantly getting into them when they’d go out.

Maybe kinda like the Wood frogs that came out one spring on a bear hunt. Only ever saw them that one year but conditions must have been right because they were thick.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
My good buddy I was in the Air Force has it, and it’s made his life miserable. He can’t eat red meat anymore and has even paid out of pocket for treatments to no avail.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Maybe start raising Ostriches. Their meat is reddish.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a guy who has it. He gets frozen emu meat shipped in from somewhere. Says it's almost as good as beef steak. I imagine it's real $$ but never checked the price.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can they eat fowl?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AUGrad

Maybe start raising Ostriches. Their meat is reddish.

Originally Posted by 358WCF
I know a guy who has it. He gets frozen emu meat shipped in from somewhere. Says it's almost as good as beef steak. I imagine it's real $$ but never checked the price.

Never having had it, but having heard from some who have, I bet I'd be putting in for sandhill crane tags.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Benben
Anyone have experience being diagnosed with AGS? I have an appointment with an allergist in a couple weeks. I’ve been experiencing weird rashes for the last 4 months. I’ve had intermittent symptoms in addition to the rashes. I doubt it’s AGS, but the issue seems to be exacerbated by eating red meat. My last red meat was last Friday and had a rash about 4 hours later. No rash since.

Anyone have experience they care to share?
My brother had a rash that would not respond to anything his doctor or dermatologist tried. He came to my house and got himself a proper dose of Ivermectin and it was gone. He took a dose 2 weeks later for good measure and it never came back. Might be worth a try and it won't hurt. It could be a reaction to a parasite or some other life form that Ivermectin kills.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Benben
Anyone have experience being diagnosed with AGS? I have an appointment with an allergist in a couple weeks. I’ve been experiencing weird rashes for the last 4 months. I’ve had intermittent symptoms in addition to the rashes. I doubt it’s AGS, but the issue seems to be exacerbated by eating red meat. My last red meat was last Friday and had a rash about 4 hours later. No rash since.

Anyone have experience they care to share?
My brother had a rash that would not respond to anything his doctor or dermatologist tried. He came to my house and got himself a proper dose of Ivermectin and it was gone. He took a dose 2 weeks later for good measure and it never came back. Might be worth a try and it won't hurt. It could be a reaction to a parasite or some other life form that Ivermectin kills.
Won't hurt unless one has an allergy to Ivomec.

Not sure there is anything for that. Didn't used to be anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No mammal meat whatsoever. If the allergy is sever enough you cannot even consume dairy or gelatin. He was a cattleman too, which is like rubbing salt in the wound. There is no known treatment for it. To be honest, it’s got me pretty paranoid about ticks, especially after my bout with RMSF, which is the deadliest tick disease. Spring turkey season I sat in a nest of seed ticks. 100’s of them all over me and my gear. I’d rather deal with snakes and mosquitos and chiggers than ticks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

No mammal meat whatsoever. If the allergy is sever enough you cannot even consume dairy or gelatin. He was a cattleman too, which is like rubbing salt in the wound. There is no known treatment for it. To be honest, it’s got me pretty paranoid about ticks, especially after my bout with RMSF, which is the deadliest tick disease. Spring turkey season I sat in a nest of seed ticks. 100’s of them all over me and my gear. I’d rather deal with snakes and mosquitos and chiggers than ticks.
My best friend and his wife had the Spotted Tick Fever a few years back. I pull at least 1 off of me every time we work at the place.

That's after soaking clothes in Permethrin and using Picardin lotion. I would hate to see how many I would have if I weren't treating.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You know it’s weird but as a kid we had ticks here but the last 25 years or so they’ve become extremely rare even on deer we shoot.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have fire ants? I believe they kill the ticks.

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Do you have fire ants? I believe they kill the ticks.
Yes sir we do.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 25 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,897
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.