Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one needs a different stock, but for a hard to find rifle this may not be a bad deal. I can picture this one in a nice Mcmillan:

Check out this 270 fwt

I know how Cabela's works too. You can generally get them to lower their price tag. Sometimes by even a $100.00. What say you guys?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good find there for someone

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
That's one ugly butt pad. Concur on the McMillin idea.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Good find there for someone

I thought so. Metal and bluing looks pretty good. It will need some sights and a front hood though. Price is reasonable enough for what it is. I'm really liking my new fwt. I need to shoot it more and see what it likes though. For right now, it's my most homely looking rifle, but it has a certain look and feel that I really like. The rifle in the link has potential.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called on a different one this week. It had a nicer stock, but was the same money. Someone put it on hold and I missed out.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
These are too scarce to let condition rule all else. As you say, slip it in a stock and hunt it

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I called on a different one this week. It had a nicer stock, but was the same money. Someone put it on hold and I missed out.

Ben, this one may be just the ticket, if they still have it. It would work out great for a younger shooter too, since it has the shorter LOP. I personally wouldn't let the stock steer me away, if I were looking for a good 270 fwt. As Bkin said, they are very scarce. This one is like the one I bought last month and that store doesn't really know what they have. IMHO.. Throw a Micky on it like Batue has on his FWT and you will be golden.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bsa1917hunter: I say "whoever butchered that stock" should be flogged.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W

Looks good from a distance but some closer pics would be nice with a $2,500 price tag.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bsa1917hunter: I say "whoever butchered that stock" should be flogged.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree. But it helps to ward off guys that don't know what the rifle is, and what it's worth. I like these kinds of rifles and at Cabela's you can talk them down quite a bit sometimes. Especially if you start pointing out things that are not correct. They get weak in the knees sometimes, and crumble in your (I mean my) hands..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Why is the stock butchered?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Because there was a time it was nothing more than another Deer rifle. A hard plate that kicked too much, and someone said enough. The world didn’t always turn on Model 70’s that look like they have hardly been used.
It was theirs and not some purist 50 plus years later.

Last edited by battue; 06/29/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Because there was a time it was nothing more than another Deer rifle. A hard plate that kicked too much, and someone said enough. The world didn’t always turn on Model 70’s that look like they have hardly been used.

I am thankful for those fella's. Makes for less expensive ways to get a solid rifle and situate it into a nice stock and not feel too bad about doing it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

I am thankful for those fella's. Makes for less expensive ways to get a solid rifle and situate it into a nice stock and not feel too bad about doing it.
d

What if it had stories.....many stories? Would it be a violation to separate it from its stories? If it was used by some famous name, who used it successfully all over the world?
Or does its stories only count it they didn't change a single item?

Last edited by battue; 06/29/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

d

What if it had stories.....many stories? Would it be a violation to separate it from its stories? If it was used by some famous name, who used it successfully all over the world?
Or does its stories only count it they didn't change a single item?

I guess that all depends on the current owner B. For me, unless it’s a closet queen I’d rather change it to make it mine and know the foundation holds the stories and go make my own stories to add to it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree completely….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd prefer to buy something that's well used but taken care of. You don't have to worry about "collectablity", and can use it like the previous owner did. My biggest problem with the rifle listed above it's the 13"LOP and 2 inch of recoil pad. By the time you put a new 1" on your down to a 12"LOP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Double

Last edited by keystoneben; 06/29/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having more than my share of hunting M-70s-M-54s, this true tale must be shared:
I dropped into a rarely visited Gun & Pawn shop this week, and was about to leave when I spotted a familiar outline
in a rifle rack. It was a 1950s standard in 270 WCF. Stock scratched and a few imperfections but basically all there with
a B&L scope. The shop owner wanted $540 -saying it was an old rifle no one looked at at all. I ended up with this Model 70
for $475.00 (US). And there is a Leupold Alaskan to mate it with back at the ranch.

Rescuing orphan unloved or mistreated Model 70s has become an addiction, like finding a good hunting dog
that only wants a good home.
This is what it really is all about.

NRA LIFE.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,777
Posts18,477,000
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.