OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Success!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool. So ruffedgrouse said your big nan is a 375 WBY, or did I read that wrong? I was under the impression it's an H&H, according to your other thread..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I believe the rifle started out as a 300 H&H. It got re barreled to 375 H&H. Later on it got sent to Weatherby and rechambered to 375 Weatherby. I do not claim to know the complete and accurate history of the rifle, just what I have read and what my dad told me. I have shot both 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby through it.
I called the rifle a 375 H&H to make it simple while looking for any help finding another stock for it. I got help and info from some of the folks who really know model 70's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great thread fellas. Truly cool working rifle!

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FNWhelen
I believe the rifle started out as a 300 H&H. It got re barreled to 375 H&H. Later on it got sent to Weatherby and rechambered to 375 Weatherby. I do not claim to know the complete and accurate history of the rifle, just what I have read and what my dad told me. I have shot both 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby through it.
I called the rifle a 375 H&H to make it simple while looking for any help finding another stock for it. I got help and info from some of the folks who really know model 70's.

Ah, I see. Hopefully they found you a clover leaf tang stock that you needed/wanted. Last year I bought a near identical rifle to yours for $600.00. It had the original stock though. Like I said in that thread, that stock was worth what I paid for the rifle. Cool history on your rifle there.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I appreciate mr. WhelenNut's post about Big Nan, Hal Waugh's famous .375 Weatherby Model 70. I thought some of you might be interested in a little more history on Big Nan. A lot of information about this historic rifle is in the book "Alaska Game Trails with a Master Guide." Hal Waugh was awarded Alaska's first master guide status, hence the name Master Guide. In one of the last chapters of the book, entitled "Gun Talk" there copies of written correspondence between Waugh and his clients re: rifles. The most detailed one is about his "Big Nan" M70 and here is a quote from that portion, written by Hal Waugh himself:

"Weatherby and I had an argument in Grancel Fitz's apartment in 1960 about the value of his caliber, .375 Weatherby. My contention is: It is one of the finest game killers and most accurate big gun calibers on the market. He couldn't stand the traffic of hunters converting Mod. 70's (as I have) and Enfields, etc. so changed over to the .416 Rigby case with belt added, to make it difficult for those who wanted an improved .375, yet couldn't afford the Weatherby price tag.

"My .375 W. is a Mod. 70 (1947) action I sent in to Roy W. and had rebarreled to his .375, chrome lined bbd. in 1949. I am on the 6th stock now. Can't seem to hold that recoil. It has two recoil lugs, too. One stock did hold, however, for 10 years. This has proven to be the bear gun to top all others. I shot 8 Kodiak bears that had been wounded, in 1949. In almost every instance, since 1949 I have killed every bear I had to shoot with one shot. Use 270 gr. MGS bullets (have only about 100 left) and 75 gr. of 4064. With this load I have shot through big bear from almost every angle up to about 250 yards. I'm sure I could have killed the two elephants, two rhinos and one cape buffalo In Africa, that I shot with my .458. The only thing is, the 500 gr. solid made by Winchester is without doubt the finest solid of all metal jacket bullets every made."

So there you go, especially old M70 lovers: straight from one of Alaskan's historic bear outfitters on his old school but potent bear rifle. Just think of it: traditional wood stock and blued steel classic bear rifle used for so many years in that harsh Alaskan environment. And I might add, no scope, but a Lyman 48 rear sight.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I appreciate mr. WhelenNut's post about Big Nan, Hal Waugh's famous .375 Weatherby Model 70. I thought some of you might be interested in a little more history on Big Nan. A lot of information about this historic rifle is in the book "Alaska Game Trails with a Master Guide." Hal Waugh was awarded Alaska's first master guide status, hence the name Master Guide. In one of the last chapters of the book, entitled "Gun Talk" there copies of written correspondence between Waugh and his clients re: rifles. The most detailed one is about his "Big Nan" M70 and here is a quote from that portion, written by Hal Waugh himself:

"Weatherby and I had an argument in Grancel Fitz's apartment in 1960 about the value of his caliber, .375 Weatherby. My contention is: It is one of the finest game killers and most accurate big gun calibers on the market. He couldn't stand the traffic of hunters converting Mod. 70's (as I have) and Enfields, etc. so changed over to the .416 Rigby case with belt added, to make it difficult for those who wanted an improved .375, yet couldn't afford the Weatherby price tag.

"My .375 W. is a Mod. 70 (1947) action I sent in to Roy W. and had rebarreled to his .375, chrome lined bbd. in 1949. I am on the 6th stock now. Can't seem to hold that recoil. It has two recoil lugs, too. One stock did hold, however, for 10 years. This has proven to be the bear gun to top all others. I shot 8 Kodiak bears that had been wounded, in 1949. In almost every instance, since 1949 I have killed every bear I had to shoot with one shot. Use 270 gr. MGS bullets (have only about 100 left) and 75 gr. of 4064. With this load I have shot through big bear from almost every angle up to about 250 yards. I'm sure I could have killed the two elephants, two rhinos and one cape buffalo In Africa, that I shot with my .458. The only thing is, the 500 gr. solid made by Winchester is without doubt the finest solid of all metal jacket bullets every made."

So there you go, especially old M70 lovers: straight from one of Alaskan's historic bear outfitters on his old school but potent bear rifle. Just think of it: traditional wood stock and blued steel classic bear rifle used for so many years in that harsh Alaskan environment. And I might add, no scope, but a Lyman 48 rear sight.

Now that is straight awesome RF. I love that sorta reading!

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Off topic but, Hal Waugh appeared to have utter contempt for the 338 mag!

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone needs a big, nice rifle or, a nice Big rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

J
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse

Now that is straight awesome RF. I love that sorta reading!

@ruffedgrouse, That's a great post of the details (and Hal's storied ability)... helping keep he and his gun's history alive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread! Thanks to all the contributors.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle I used to make a replica for the APHA auction was the same vintage and I still have that stock and you are welcome to it. In fact I wild bet happy to bed it for you so it didn’t split like Hal’s first five stocks.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 3 men mentioned is why majority lug a 375 H&H to kodiak. Reading this thread thread giving me the itch to put in for kodiak bear tags my 4 years is up next year and I can start putting in for tags again.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,463
Posts18,529,174
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.