Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am considering a trip to the Gettysburg battlefield this September/October. I've never been there before but have always wanted to go. I would appreciate some advice from those that know. I'll be traveling alone.

1. Best airport to fly into?
2. Where to stay?
3. 2 or 3 days to see it all? (I'd like to see it ALL. I'll visit every monument and read every plaque).
4. Other tips or bits of advice?

Thanks, fellas!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have some excellent tour guides that will give you the who, where and results.

Prepare to think there are ghosts along with you.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes definitely hire one of the local guides. We just signed up and got one at the visitors center several years ago. He drove our rental car and was very knowledgeable.
And yes, on the ghosts. Spookiest place I’ve been in my life.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You missed the big 160th reenactment this past weekend?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Harrisburg International Airport would probably be the easiest major airport to fly into. Rent a vehicle there and its about a 45 minute easy drive. Look into staying in one of the many bed and breakfasts in and around gettysburg or a local hotel.
My first stop would be the National Park Service administered Visitor Center Museum/Cyclorama center. The battlefield itself is easily toured by car, and stopping to get out at desired spots but a guided bus/car tour etc might be a way to get the "lay of the land" to go back and explore more later on your own. One of my personal favorite views of the battlefield is to ascend the staircase inside the PA Monument and look out across the fields where Picketts charge took place.
I have visited the Park MANY times over the years and still get the chills and feelings of awe when visiting. Truly hallowed ground and a place I feel everyone who can should visit. Feel free to PM with any additional questions etc and I will do my best to answer or find an answer.

Last edited by marktheshark; 06/27/23.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In high school me and my buddies use to skip out of school and go up there all day from Fairfax County VA.
Same with Harper's Ferry WVa and also Antietam Battlefields.

Lots of good Virginia boys lost their lives at Gettysburg and Antietam.

A lot of people don't know it, but Harper's Ferry changed hands 56 times during the Civil War.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
High water mark is a must see

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I was there Sunday and missed the reenactment. I heard 2,000 Yanks and 2,500 Rebs. I saw more than a few younger guys kitted out. Great to see reenacting is still alive around there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
History is About to Repeat Itself..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We went there for the first time in April while on a long road trip. It was a truly touching experience. We stayed in town in an 1880s Airbnb for 3 nights, and we would have liked to have stayed longer. If you want to read every monument, you may want to stay for a month. We got a private guide at the battlefield visitor’s center who really was amazing and answered every question we could think of.

If you stay in town, you are right there. My wife did her daily runs through the battlefield. There are tons of cannon and monuments all over the place, including outside the park. In that regard, even the guides in the park can’t cover it all in 2-3 hours.

Note that there are some closures for restoration. The Little Round Top area was not accessible. The closures are listed on the park website. I suspect that there always will be some area under renovation.

One other nice thing was the ability to tour President Eisenhower’s retirement home which is just outside the battlefield. They have limited viewings, so you may want to pay attention. It was not bad in April, and the fall may not be bad, either.

While we were there, it was during spring school trip season. It was refreshing to see so many well mannered students learning history. I chatted with one kid and a teacher from California who went through their itinerary, and it must have been exhausting.

While we were driving on U.S. 30 (the historic Lincoln Highway that also passes through my city), we drove past the Flight 93 Memorial. I really felt bad that we were not aware of it and were not in a position to stop. I don’t know if that would be too far out of reach for your trip.

There are many on 24HCF who can provide more detail than me. If you go, enjoy your trip!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Understand that the ANV is arriving mostly from the north and west while the Army of the Potomac is hurrying up from the south.

There is a bewildering array of informative plaques giving info on specific units. You don’t have to read them all, you can lose the big picture getting lost in the details.

If you are going to do it all, do it in chronological order, starting with Day 1 north and west of Gettysburg and then over to Cemetery and Seminary Ridges for Days 2 and 3. It will be much easier to comprehend that way.

Day 1 begins with Cashtown and the Cashtown Inn about eight miles west of Gettysburg. In addition to its excellent state of preservation this place serves excellent, gourmet-quality breakfasts at fast-food prices. A real surprise and a must stop-in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also on Day 1, the first shot monument, west of town along busy highway 30, can be a bit tricky to spot the first time. Parking is in back of the 1850’s red brick house on the westbound side of the road. Turn in the gravel driveway just to the east of the house. For whatever reason there’s no signage on the road.
and traffic can be fast-moving and heavy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Redding's Hardware is on Franklin St and the Trading Post is East on Rt 30 about 4 miles, huge gun shops

Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, Don't Lie !
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by marktheshark
My first stop would be the National Park Service administered Visitor Center Museum/Cyclorama center. The battlefield itself is easily toured by car, and stopping to get out at desired spots but a guided bus/car tour etc might be a way to get the "lay of the land" to go back and explore more later on your own.

Good advice. I've been there a couple of times, the best experience was when I was still on active duty in Virginia. We had a "profesional development" day where we bused up to Gettysburg, met Army historians from the War College who boarded the busses with us and acted as the guides. They had actual orders, battlefield messages, after action reports, etc that they could select and read to highlight the battle.

Don't know where you're traveling from, but if you want to fly into a major airport and probably reduce connections it's only about a 80-90 minute drive from BWI/Baltimire airport.

Have you been reading about the battle? There are some really good books, both historical and "historical fiction" available. I had read Michael Shaara's "The Killer Angels" a couple of years before the visit and had watched the "Gettysburg" movie. Although fiction they are pretty accurate and it was interesting to visit the battlefield after reading/seeing them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The licensed battlefield guides are very knowledgeable, and will provide insights you can't get on your own. I'd start there, and ask them for help with the rest of your stay. Some good burgers at the Blue & Gray on the square.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
I am considering a trip to the Gettysburg battlefield this September/October. I've never been there before but have always wanted to go. I would appreciate some advice from those that know. I'll be traveling alone.

1. Best airport to fly into?
2. Where to stay?
3. 2 or 3 days to see it all? (I'd like to see it ALL. I'll visit every monument and read every plaque).
4. Other tips or bits of advice?

Thanks, fellas!
The 20th Maine memorial on the rear flank of Little Round Top. There are memorials all over the site. Even some obscure ones marking Confederate campsites. Those would be on the rear flank of Little Round Top as I recall. The whole place is one big adventure. I have been there 4 different times over the years and I just scratched the surface.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I was there Sunday and missed the reenactment. I heard 2,000 Yanks and 2,500 Rebs. I saw more than a few younger guys kitted out. Great to see reenacting is still alive around there.

Big Texas contingent in attendance

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
It should all start with a Long Look down Chambersburg Pike ..

It just flows from there..

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My favorite spot is Little Round Top. I always stop there. Have “family” on the PA monument in the 123rd Regiment. The Virginia monument is very impressive as well and when you look out towards Cemetery Ridge, imagine walking all that way under constant cannon fire trying to stay in line. That ranks right up there with beach landings and exchanging broadsides on a wooden ship on the Horrors of War list. Can’t begin to fathom the courage required.

Hunted very close by during the 80s and early 90s on a farm within sight of the barns of the Eisenhower place and bisected by Marsh Creek. It was a wonderful property, and used in some of the scenes from the 1993 movie. It was a real loss to my family when that farm had to be sold in ‘94. Lots of great memories were made there.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a tour with one of the certified tour guides. Fantastic!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,805
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.