Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
This is a great example of the difference in efficiency between.gov and the private sector. Every minute of every day Amazon is taking and filling orders for an infinite number of products, in a volume that dwarfs the number of PA deer hunters, from all over the world. There are a lot of real, tangible items that I could order from my phone right now, and have on my doorstep in less time than it took many PA deer hunters to get a digital permission slip to kill a doe. Good God, even NY has a better system.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Logged in before work I was 13 in line, before I got my wallet out I was adding to my cart….

Done in 3 minutes

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son logged on at about 8:30 last night. There was no wait and it took him about 4 minutes.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by battue
Was nice to have an "in" at the PO. Your app went into the first bag.

Didn't need an "in". All you had to do was mail your application on Saturday, so that it left that P.O. on Saturday and on Monday morning it was sitting one step ahead of everybody else mailing from that location, and I suspect was delivered to the County Treasurer on Monday. All the others whether they crammed it in with all of them on Sunday, or handed it to the "in" at the P.O. on Monday, those app's did not leave that P.O. for the final destination until Monday. Did it that way for yrs and never missed out on tags that were available that I applied for.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
This is a great example of the difference in efficiency between.gov and the private sector. Every minute of every day Amazon is taking and filling orders for an infinite number of products, in a volume that dwarfs the number of PA deer hunters, from all over the world. There are a lot of real, tangible items that I could order from my phone right now, and have on my doorstep in less time than it took many PA deer hunters to get a digital permission slip to kill a doe. Good God, even NY has a better system.
You're overlooking a couple of minor things there cra.

Amazon was formed a long time ago, originally as a bookseller (?) as I recall.

They've been at this internet stuff for a very long time now.

They probably have more computing capacity at one of their fulfillment centers than the whole Commonwealth of PA has, not to mention the Game and Fish Commission.

Odds are good PA didn't want to spend really big to cover the day 1 business, even if they had predicted it, as once that rush is over that capacity is just sitting there doing nothing but costing $$$ to run and maintain.

But, yeah, they screwed the pooch big time on that roll out yesterday.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Jumped online at 8 today to get my Dad his doe tag. Took 25 minutes in total. That was in question, logging in, entering his info, and checking out. Still a bit long for today's computer age, but I guess it is something.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Are they going to sellout of licenses and tags?

Is there a danger of not getting any?

Maybe next year not every hunter in PA tries to log in at 0800??
No and no. Not sure why the rush. Exact reason Im waiting because I knew it would be a complete dumpster fire lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
When it is time for me to renew my TX license in Aug it will take me less than 3 minutes and I will have 5 deer tags, 4 turkey tags, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, upland game, waterfowl, small game and predators. All for less than $70.
The reason why that was never a thing here in PA was because we had the most hunters of any single state at one time. Well north of a million hunters and if they handed out tags like that, there wouldnt be a single game animal left to hunt. Things have change recently which is why they are moving towards online sales and multiple tags

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
You're overlooking a couple of minor things there cra.

Amazon was formed a long time ago, originally as a bookseller (?) as I recall.

They've been at this internet stuff for a very long time now.

They probably have more computing capacity at one of their fulfillment centers than the whole Commonwealth of PA has, not to mention the Game and Fish Commission.

Odds are good PA didn't want to spend really big to cover the day 1 business, even if they had predicted it, as once that rush is over that capacity is just sitting there doing nothing but costing $$$ to run and maintain.

But, yeah, they screwed the pooch big time on that roll out yesterday.

It’s not a matter of inadequate IT facilities for one day’s business. It’s a matter of a business model that creates a bottleneck like that in the first place. I would say the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, like every other state, has “been in business “, so to speak, a lot longer than Amazon. Here in SC, the last week of July or the first week of August, I will receive in the mail 2 doe tags and 3 buck tags without doing anything other than having had a big game license last year.

Stupid politicians and governmental corruption and inefficiency make a lot of these “management practices” a lot more complicated and ineffective than necessary.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Are they going to sellout of licenses and tags?

Is there a danger of not getting any?

Maybe next year not every hunter in PA tries to log in at 0800??
No and no. Not sure why the rush. Exact reason Im waiting because I knew it would be a complete dumpster fire lol

Yeah, that was my question while reading this tread for the past few days. I was thinking that there was a limit or something. We've been doing it on line since 2013 I think. There have been many years where I bought my license on the same day that I went hunting for the first time.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine today in 5 minutes at the local gun shop. Only one doe tag now in round 1. I got 4D, they sold 15000, and have 60000 left. I think an increase of 20000 from last year. 4D sold out in September last year, so maybe they won’t even sell out with the extra tags this year.
I walk the forests around here almost everyday and deer tracks are hard to find. Forestry is winning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Terryk
Got mine today in 5 minutes at the local gun shop. Only one doe tag now in round 1. I got 4D, they sold 15000, and have 60000 left. I think an increase of 20000 from last year. 4D sold out in September last year, so maybe they won’t even sell out with the extra tags this year.
I walk the forests around here almost everyday and deer tracks are hard to find. Forestry is winning.
The game commission is working hard every day, to reduce the size of the deer herd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems counterproductive. I remember driving around central Pa in the 70's, and seeing an awful lot of deer. It seems that they did a better job then.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ten and a half hours from registration until my number came up. I left it run and went to Walmart, where it took two hours to get my tag. Called and wrote my state rep about what a Charlie Foxtrot this process turned out to be. Who sits in front of a computer for 10-1/2 hours to catch a 10 minute window. The Executive Director had the gall to send out a video talking about what a success the process was because the system didn't crash. He and their IT guy need to be fired and the Commission members who voted for this fiasco need to resign.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by MAC
When it is time for me to renew my TX license in Aug it will take me less than 3 minutes and I will have 5 deer tags, 4 turkey tags, freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, upland game, waterfowl, small game and predators. All for less than $70.
The reason why that was never a thing here in PA was because we had the most hunters of any single state at one time. Well north of a million hunters and if they handed out tags like that, there wouldnt be a single game animal left to hunt. Things have change recently which is why they are moving towards online sales and multiple tags

You have more hunters but TX has a lot more deer. Our estimated deer herd in TX is over 4 million whitetails and we also have mule deer and Carmen Mountains.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.