Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
WTH do I do for it? Read up on the internet that I don’t need to smoke. I don’t. Reduce alcohol. Check. Lose weight. I’m down 31#.

One of my black friends (actually a former employee) told me I need to make love to a black woman and it will lessen the pain or do away with it altogether.

Any suggestions? Dang fortunate that I had 65 good years before this happened. Day three now. Is this crap fatal?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Eat some cherries. I forget what kind but it really did work for me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Call your doc, get a scrip for indomethacin 25mg caps. Take two every 6 hours for a day and your symptoms will virtually disappear. Follow up with one every 6 hours for another day and you should be done. You might get your uric acid checked at your next blood test. Anything over 6 makes gout flares commonplace. Allopurinol 100 mg tabs once a day brought mine down to 5.9 and I only get a flare up a couple of times a year. Doc says Allopurinol has been around 75 years and has no known side effects. Its cheap, too. Ask me how I know all this...But dont take my word--go see your doc. I always carry indomethacin in my shaving kit on the road--no better way to screw up a trip than to get a gout flare in the middle of it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

Untreated or improperly treated gout can result in permanent joint damage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black Cherry Juice, Alopurinol, ditch the Diuretic in your BP meds if possible, definitely see a Dr.

No Pork, No alcohol,

It's a miserable ailment, glad I've been cured from it, diuretic in BP meds caused mine.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't drink beer! There's hardly anything worse to bring on a bout of gout.

Once you have it under control, probably with a 10 day course of steroids, start with the Alopurinol. One trip to the doc will get you both. Don't torture yourself drinking pickle juice or sour cherry juice. Head to the meds.

Avoid processed meats.

After a while you'll probably be able to have brats n beer from time to time. Brewers yeast is the #1 gout trigger.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a prescription for Colchicine 0.6mg tabs and start taking them IMMEDIATELY!!! Also take an Anti-Inflammatory.

Don't waste your time eating Cherries, I did and boy did I suffer because I tried to take care of it naturally.

Best of luck, gout is BRUTAL!

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/29/23.

KB

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You need to call Paul.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Don't drink beer! There's hardly anything worse to bring on a bout of gout.

Once you have it under control, probably with a 10 day course of steroids, start with the Alopurinol. One trip to the doc will get you both. Don't torture yourself drinking pickle juice or sour cherry juice. Head to the meds.

Avoid processed meats.

After a while you'll probably be able to have brats n beer from time to time. Brewers yeast is the #1 gout trigger.

^^^^THIS!!!^^^^

I've had 7 broken bones, one crushed heel, two hip surgeries, shoulder replacement surgery, ankle fixation surgery, kidney stones and a head-on car wreck!
NONE of them hurt as bad as the gout!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 06/29/23.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MikeL2
SEE YOUR DOCTOR!

Untreated or improperly treated gout can result in permanent joint damage.

This. You don't need a fughked up joint. Ask your wife.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have your kidney function checked.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Cut out fruit juice, except Cherry

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
. Is this crap fatal?

No, you just wish it was.

Dilution is the solution to pollution. Drink as much water as you can hold. That won’t fix it, but it will help everything.

Like others said. Go to doc and he will fix you up.

Colchicine is the old remedy. I’ve bought some when on vacation in Mexico just to have on hand. But don’t get for from a toilet and don’t trust a fart if you’re on it. You’ll regret it.

Indomethicin is what most get now.

Prednisone as well. A buddy doubled up on indomethicin and prednisone after being down for 3 days. Was back on the job site that afternoon working.

I’ve tried all the home brew concoctions, cherry juice and cherries etc. did nothing for me.

Allopurinol as a preventative. The first doc that prescribed it to me was adamant that I didn’t take it until my flare up was completely gone. Said it would make it worse. I don’t take it because I don’t want to be on a daily pill to prevent a flare up that happens maybe every 12-18 months. Then I have a flare up and kick myself for not taking it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Everyone is different. The old saw that red meat and alcohol cause/trigger it is false in my case for example. Lots of water though is good.

I for example have a script for indomethacine for flare ups, allipurinol for maintenance . Some folks don’t tolerate the indomethacine well, some don’t tolerate allipurinol well either. Tart cherry juice helped me some, but I got tired of it and if you over do it it moves the bowels along swiftly.

Forgot to add prednisone is a lifesaver. Only thing that really knocked it down last time I had a bad one.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 06/29/23.

MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Indomethicin has helped me tamp it down when I feel it coming. If you already have it, there's not much else they will do. Drink a lot of water and eat bland for a while. Last November I had a stress fracture in my wrist and gout attacked it and WOW it was bad for a few days. If I breathed on it too hard it hurt! I had to go to the ER and get a bunch of high powered shots and medicine to take at home. I'll not put off getting help if that happens to me again!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
During the attack, colchicine, indomethacin, and prednisone. After its cleared start on allopurinol daily as your Dr prescribes it. It may take a while to get stable on allopurinol to where it's not triggering attacks but once stable on the right dose you'll eliminate most attacks.

I waited way to many years to hear about allopurinol. Dr's should have had me on that right away. I also have ankylosing spondylitis and it took a while for me to be able to tell which was which. Spondylitis is more painful and usually lasts longer and hits my larger joints most often. Its nice to have the gout under control now because having both was too much.

Bb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Seriously though, if you've never had gout before and it popped up out of the blue, you could have severely lowered kidney function.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
During the attack, colchicine, indomethacin, and prednisone. After its cleared start on allopurinol daily as your Dr prescribes it. It may take a while to get stable on allopurinol to where it's not triggering attacks but once stable on the right dose you'll eliminate most attacks.

I waited way to many years to hear about allopurinol. Dr's should have had me on that right away. I also have ankylosing spondylitis and it took a while for me to be able to tell which was which. Spondylitis is more painful and usually lasts longer and hits my larger joints most often. Its nice to have the gout under control now because having both was too much.

Bb

That sounds like hell. I can’t imagine the combo.

MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Red meat seems to be my trigger. I had a bout a month ago and used prednisone, ibuprofen, and lots of water. Took about a week to get it under control.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by Godogs57
. Is this crap fatal?

No, you just wish it was.

hahaha Funny but true lol

Like I said earlier Colchicine 0.6mg tabs, eliminates it instantly for me. I do not take preventative meds like allopurinol, because I do not like taking meds long term.

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/29/23.

KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.