Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by captjohn
The only way I would go down the BLR road is if I was looking for a magnum cartridge, all other calibers the 99 is better handling gun to me and no exposed hammer.

One of my brother’s BLR’s is a 7mm RM. IMHO, the magnum length BLR’s are ungainly sonsabitches.

Mathew 22: 37-39

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The BLR feels ugly in the hand when carrying - the magazine sticks out of the bottom of a squared-off metal receiver, tiring the carry hand. The smooth, rounded bottom of the 99 will carry like a dream. (Knock it off! NO jokes about getting your hands on a smooth, rounded bottom!)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In my opinion, the BLR "scopes" better than the 99's....even the newer models that were drilled and tapped. I would much rather have an older 99 with a period correct tang peep, and the BLR with a 1-4x compact scope.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jason280
In my opinion, the BLR "scopes" better than the 99's....even the newer models that were drilled and tapped. I would much rather have an older 99 with a period correct tang peep, and the BLR with a 1-4x compact scope.

I think they scope ok

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 06/28/23.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
You’ll regret it. Just buy a Browning.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
C1022 getting your hands on the smooth rounded bottom of a female is no joke. The joke is in your hand while carrying a blr. My 99 EG in 300 sav was d & t'ed for weaver bases wears weaver rings and an old weaver long tube 6x with fine x-hairs. It comes to the shoulder as nice as any and your looking thru the scope right now. The 99 ain't the problem it's all these damn short scopes with huge objectives on them that are a problem. On a 99 you just need a clear simple set and forget scope period. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 06/28/23.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Since you're asking what we think about transitioning to a BLR, I'll chime in too. But, without knowing your private reasons for making the switch I (like everybody else) have to base my opinion on my own personal experience.

The ergonomics are way better with the 99. By 1960, when the 99E was intro'ed, Savage had perfected the balance and fit (with the average man in mind). So too with the action: 60 years of subtle fine tuning made them utterly reliable. Triggers suck, but only in terms of comparison with "modern" triggers that we've become spoiled with - they work ok, can be tuned a bit by someone who knows exactly what they're doing, and are simple mechanisms that will never fail you when you're crouched in the snow on a lonely mountain top a hundred miles from nowhere. "Strength" of the action is plenty for the .308 cartridge, extraction is dead-nuts reliable (unless someone has monkeyed with it).

Compare all that side by side with a BLR and get back to me.

Of course, sometimes we make such decisions based on our hearts not our heads. Mayhaps that's part-and-parcel with rifle loonyism, and explains why all of us have regrets.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Another thought:

If like many, your 99E is fitted with a birch stock and you find it to be aesthetically displeasing (even though it's entirely functional), it can be re-stocked with walnut and made into a "semi-custom" gun. Doing that can make it a "new gun" to you and reignite the love affair you had with it when you first acquired it and all thoughts of replacement banished.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The 99 ain't the problem it's all these damn short scopes of with huge objectives on them that are a problem. On a 99 you just need a clear simple set and forget scope period. Mb

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

But, admittedly, you’re unlikely to find a 99 with that cool, gold-plated trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cra1948
The 99 ain't the problem it's all these damn short scopes of with huge objectives on them that are a problem. On a 99 you just need a clear simple set and forget scope period. Mb

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

But, admittedly, you’re unlikely to find a 99 with that cool, gold-plated trigger.

Actually, there are many, many thousands of them out there. Not a fan, but they are there. One in my safe too
[Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gold triggers on a Savage 99? Are they rare? LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Weren't the gold trigger 99's tang safety only after 1960 and never on the older more desirable pre-mil lever mounted safety 99's?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by cra1948

^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Actually, there are many, many thousands of them out there. Not a fan, but they are there. One in my safe too
[Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

Lol…I didn’t know that. All mine are 1920’s era with the lever-lock safeties.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Windfall
Weren't the gold trigger 99's tang safety only after 1960 and never on the older more desirable pre-mil lever mounted safety 99's?

Yes. (Unless you're rich like Fireball and commission the installation of gold triggers on all your rifles. grin )

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both the M99 and the BLR. Both have features I like and features I don't like.
One the BLR, mine is the early version with the magazine that hangs down. Guess I have no choice but to live with it. My biggest gripe is the gun is too muzzle light. The Savage doesn't have that problem but I don'r like the beavertail forearm. Also I find the 99 a bit too heavy for my taste. FWIW, both rifles are more than sufficiently accurate for hunting. Both are chambered to the .358 Win.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Over the years, tried two 99's, both 250's. Triggers were ok, both walnut stocks but with gunsmithing and handloading and could not do better than 2" groups. Shot a friend's 308. It was a 2" gun also.

Have owned a 308 BLR since 1974 and steel framed 223 and 257 since their intro in the 1980's. Local smith took care of their triggers. 223 is a one inch gun while the others are better. I have many longarms to play with but these are my game guns. I do not care for the balance or roughness of the aluminum frames.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Why not keep the 99 in 308 and look for a BLR in .358?

Unless you really don’t like the 99.
^^^Correct answer^^^

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I have owned several 99's and shot several BLR's The 99's worked great but never pointed correctly for me. The BLR's also worked great and pointed better but I never could warm up to the way it carried. This was in the time long ago and far away when 100yds was a long shot for deer and most were under 50. When Ruger brought out the #1 most everything else went away. Keep them both and let the grandkids argue over them later.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My F.I.L. fed his family for years with a '94 win in 30-30. When he went into business for himself he finally got his dreams to come true; a 300 weatherby and an elk hunt out west, and BLR in 358 win and two freezers back home.

I think he thought I was some sort of tweed&cap city-feller when I showed up with a 99.., still, he let me stay and hunt.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A general comment to the several posters who say 99s kick hard:

The reason is most 99s had buttstocks designed for aiming with iron sights. Consequently when scoped your cheekbone is far under the comb of the buttstock--and the rifle rises far more than if it had a "straighter" stock.

Have seen this effect in other rifles as well. The typical Ruger No. 1 was also stocked for irons. I had one for several years, and shot and hunted with it using both iron sights and scopes. With irons it weighed around 8-1/4 pounds, and scoped a pound more. The felt recoil was noticeably harder when scoped than with irons when firing the same loads, despite weighing 10% less.

Another thing with older 99's is they had hard buttplates, whether metal or some sort of synthetic. My first was a lightweight .308 that kicked the snot out of me, both because it was scoped and rose more in recoil, and had an aluminum buttplate. Got it when I was 14 and was around 5'8" and 120 pounds, which resulted in a flinch that took a while to cure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.